What kit are you flying on?

Foiling related talk in here
PhilN
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by PhilN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:07 am

The OTC's £75 for a group of 2-4 including kit for 2 hours seems like good value to me, especially if they cant get 4 people at the same time and there is only 2 of you . https://surfdoctor.com/collections/foil ... re-2-hours

rod
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by rod » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:58 am

Great if you live near there. Not so great driving from Brighton

Sailrepair
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Sailrepair » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:14 pm

rod wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:44 am

The key thing is to have a big foil and small sail. Which makes everything easier.
I don't think you can apply that to all situations. I do a lot of foiling in very gusty conditions where a larger sail gives a more reliable steady pull to balance against. In such conditions a small sail especially if it is a flat wave sail can lead to a twitchy nightmare.

rod

Post by rod » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:13 pm

What size sail would you use for 10knots of wind?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Personally with my foils a 7.5 but I could use a 6.5.

Last week I was in Wales foiling on the open coast and what a nice change to have a steady wind, everything was much easier. One session was 10 kts steady. Here sometimes 10 kts would = 6 to 15 kts. But that is the thing about foiling, I find it gets me out in crapy conditions that I would not have even considered in the past and I still have a good time.

I am getting another foil this week which is a surf/sup style so I will see how that goes and it will be used with smaller sails.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by billyboy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 pm

I want to use <= 6m sails. I wouldn't do it otherwise. I've never enjoyed windsurfing with a sail > 6m and don't think I will start now!

I might see if there is somewhere close by I can get a reasonably priced intro. This weekend could be ideal...

northy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by northy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi.

Q1. Are there foils / adapaters that will allow me to use my Starboard futura 124 that has a non deep Tuttle box?
Q2. is there any concensus as to the best allround foils for light winds & beginning?

cheers
Northy

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm

There are a few tuttle head foils eg the afs surf

Best foil? - Depends if you want to get into freeride type foiling or surf style foiling.

Then there is cost. For value the pryde foils are hard to beat. the large wing foils are getting popular for ease of learning, slingshot, afs f800 wing etc.

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:09 pm

This is an adaptor plate that is spreading the load onto the underside of the board. It gives an idea of the forces and where they need to be spread.

I'm not aware of anywhere in the UK where you can get one of those.

This is advice from Lokefoil about the extra loads on the two tuttle bolts and how they need to be spread around the deck area of the board.
https://www.lokefoil.com/en/support/faq

Zeeko also do a plate with tuttle head connection. The 2019 Amplifier foil is designed to be balanced with the usual windsurf fin box location.
http://docs.zeeko-kiteboarding.com/docs ... FOILEN.pdf

There is no guarantee that a board not designed for a foil will survive, but spreading the load is the best you can do - other than properly fitting a reinforced foil box.

rod

Post by rod » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am

The current windsurf has a great review of 'low aspect, planing at low speeds' foils. It is this type you want. They are easy / forgiving to use.
All brands now have them. Slingshot, Pryde, Naish, Starboard etc.

The pryde glide comes out well for use on normal freeride boards and is cheap. But others will undoubtedly work fine too on your futura.

Basically you want a low aspect front wing with an area of between 1200-1800 cm sqrd.*

The larger the area the lighter wind you will fly in. At 90kg I would err toward a larger area.

The futura seems like a good candidate for foiling. There was a guy at the otc absolutely killing it on a 5.2 wave sail in not much wind (f3) on a futura 144.

On Sunday Bubble gave a talk about foils at Jim's demo day and it seems that most Tuttle fin boxes are actually deep Tuttle or will take a deep Tuttle foil. Basically the Tuttle fin doesn't go all the way in the box (by design).
So, he said, the issue is not about getting the foil to fit in the box but whether the board will stand it. Or for how long.
It seems this is a general misconception about Tuttle / deep Tuttle sizing.

*I have a massive Naish XL sup front wing that I love using.
Last edited by rod on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.