Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by RodBos » Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 am

Oops 😬 sorry about that

ronnie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by ronnie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Deleted - accidentally quoted myself from Page 2 instead of editing.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 am

JP foil 105

I thought I would say how I was getting on with My JP Foil 105. I have used it with AFS W95 and W85, I am 95kg. ( I think Ronnie is a lot lighter?)

First off the easiest way to describe it is it feels like the foiling equivalent of a wave board. By that I mean most foils boards I have been on feel like freerace boards - stable, secure and straight line orientated. The JP feels like when you go from a normal freeride board and jump on you small wave board. It is nervous and looking to do something, a lot more sensitive than the wider foil boards. I tried to set it up as close as I could to my AHD - back straps are level with the front foil board on both boards. On the JP the front straps are not as far forward and the mast track is quite a bit further back. So in my mind I thought it would have a natural over foiling tendency but it doesn't. I have not managed to uphaul it yet, it spins into the wind but I will figure it out. It gybes tightly and sensitive to height adjustments. I look forward to getting more time on it so I can try to do more with it.

I received conflicting advice as to what style of foil to pair it with some saying go for a surfy low speed high lift type while others say go for a freeride style. I have been using the F800 wing with it which has plenty of lift but still stable at moderate speed. I have used 5.3, 5.8 and 6.5 sails with it.

RodBos
Has liked: 1 time

Post by RodBos » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am

I think there’s a conflict from what foil is ‘recommended’ by JP as a market niche, rather than what foil can be potentially used with it.
A foiling colleague uses his 95cm Loke LK1 on his Horue Tiny 110 and has recently tried his severne 8m HG2 on it to great success.
I went to a windsurfing demo last weekend, and enquired about the JP 120, as I want to use it with my Starboard medium fuselage and various race wings.
Andy Chambers suggested that it was only really suitable for the NP glide / surf foil.
However looking at the dimensions it’s very similar to the small slant race boards from Horue, so I can’t see a problem
There’s a rumour going around that the next versions of foil boards are going to be thicker, a higher volume and sub 2m
I think perhaps we’re ahead of the curve on this

ronnie
Has liked: 13 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

For the 105 70cm Foil board JP recommend <5.5m in sail size with an upper limit of 6.0m, so those sail sizes would tend to be associated with a different type or size of foil than the sails associated with freerace foils and wider boards. JP recommend <6m and max 6.7m for the 120x78cm.

It does seem that the lead in to windfoiling has mainly been toward freeride/freerace foiling.

There is also the small sail approach, which we saw years ago with the Bouyer brothers, and Robby Naish and Horue have been going that direction from the start. RRD are now going sub 2m with their 122 litre Pocket Rocket 180x76cm, sails 4m to 6,4m. Slingshot 125L 198?x78.6cm 5m to 6.5m sails.

Width of the Board is a very important dimension for a foil board.

2019 - 3.7m and 4m sails & Camille using the foil 'mast' in the surf position - not the windfoil position.

PK1111
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PK1111 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am

So, trying to decipher this thread but it becomes a very technical discussion.
For an average ability rider and sea conditions, what kind of free ride performance are you all experiencing?
I’m interested to see if a foil board with a small rig is going to offer substantial return, eg fly in 5 knots, 8 knots or 10 knots etc.
From 10 knots on, you largely have a choice of traditional vehicles and you can choose to foil or not.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 pm

two main things location and fitness. we sail on the Thames with strong tides and horrible chop .when its blowing on shore it is very difficult to get off the beach even with a powered up 5.8 windsurfer . Same conditions put a 4.7 with a foil and you are flying two feet above the chop straight out the back on one run!!!!! Fitness .In lighter winds even with the bigger front wings they have these days you will not foil if you don't pump once your up you can glide with very little wind indeed. 5 knots no ,average windsurfer with a bit of pumping on 7m constant 12/13 knots oh YESSSSS

rod
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by rod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:48 pm

PK1111 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am
For an average ability rider and sea conditions, what kind of free ride performance are you all experiencing?
I’m interested to see if a foil board with a small rig is going to offer substantial return, eg fly in 5 knots, 8 knots or 10 knots etc.
From 10 knots on, you largely have a choice of traditional vehicles and you can choose to foil or not.
PK last night in Portland harbour it was about 12knots maybe a bit more in the gusts. There were people not really going on 7.5m sails and the good guys were foiling at breakneck speed (including a few back loops!) with 5m-4.5m on 2m long 120L boards.*
Once you have seen this there is no going back to huge sails.

*I was on my 5.8 and getting going most of the time, but nothing like good guys who could just pump a 4.5 up on the foil.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:58 pm

PK1111 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am
For freeride type foiling anything below about 9 kts is quite physical, technical and needs a largeish size sail. You can't do much if you have nothing to pump against. If you want to freeride type foil in 8 kts you will need a 7.5+sail and a suitable foil.

The alternative is the high lift surf style foils where you can use a smaller sail but you are still likely to need a 6.0 to get going in 10 kts. It is in the 13 kt sort of winds when you can start to use 5.0 etc sails on a high lift foil.

Normal windsurfing would need a 9.5 to get going in 10 kts with a freeride foil it would be 7.0.

Ask yourself what you want to get out of foiling. I personally like "gust hunting" where I will get flying in a 7 or 8 kt gust and just keep going despite it feeling like there is no wind. But for that I use a 8.6 sail and a race foil. On the other hand maybe you like the idea of foiling freestyle etc in which case you want a different setup without the large sail and accept you need a couple more kts of wind.

nimo
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by nimo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:14 pm

I have always been a wave sailor. Nearly 30 years of it.
I bought an RRD h fire 91 last year with a matching WH 85 foil. The first few sessions were scary. lots of uncontrollable flight. jamming upwind and trying to keep the board down on a run to get back to where I started. much like sailing a high performance slalom set up. Not my style.....
I have now got a slingshot wizard 125 and matching foil with the infinity 76 wing. It has been a revelation. I can now jibe, carve up and downwind and sail from 10 knots with my 5.8 duotone f type all the way up to 25 - 30 knots with my KS3s (4.9, 4.6, 4.0). I am looking forward to taking this set up out in some waves as it is mind-blowing on flatwater. Windsurfing has now become what it always promised to be. It has been a long time since I was this excited about windsurfing. I sailed my wave board last week with a 4.0 meter and it felt heavy, loaded up and dull. The tide has turned.....