SUP Foil surfing

Foiling related talk in here
grantmac
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Re: SUP Foil surfing

Post by grantmac »

I certainly hope that 3-in-1 boards keep being developed. They really fill my sub-20kt needs better than anything else. When it's less than 12kts I can SUP wave sail, above that I can windfoil until I'm comfortable swapping to a medium wave board.
I've just been waiting for a good deal on a Naish crossover to make that my light wind quiver.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

I got one and although the shape is fine, the build quality is poor. I got last year a new one under warranty (boxxes came lose), this year again the same, but now they are already 6 weeks thinking how to fix it.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

Jeroensurf wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 am I got one and although the shape is fine, the build quality is poor. I got last year a new one under warranty (boxxes came lose), this year again the same, but now they are already 6 weeks thinking how to fix it.
A Naish?
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

jup, 7.6x30
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

That is concerning. I've seen a F-one and it didn't look very durable.
Perhaps the Sroka is worth a look?
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

This designer only sells his wings to the USA, but he does put a lot of effort into designing for efficiency and light weight is a by-product of that.
He also has a long video explaining his wing design.

Alex Aguera using a Cloud wing on a downwinder.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Downwind SUP foiling will be beyond me, but the wing foiling seems to be the answer then.

Giampaolo Crammarota (of MauiSurfReport) gives an insight to his gear and wingfoiling, downwind SUPfoil technique and downwind SUPfoiling.

Last edited by ronnie on Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Kids downwinding on windfoils.

ronnie

Post by ronnie »

There seems to be a trend to investigate booms/handles and trying to get the best of both or get rid of the worst of both. Either way, there are inbetween solutions being checked out.

Cabrinha have new stiffer handles and a double centre strut.

A Hot Wings solution.

Alan Cadiz with a Duotone experiment which seems to be somewhere between the Echo and the Unit.

From using the Duotone boom, it seems that one of the advantages of the boom is direct steering. With a wing, one of the major controls is steering the wing nose from side to side - especially with the original Duotone wing. It can be stabilised by steering it in the Yaw plane, and I guess if you get sensitive enough to it, you will eventually be correcting it with micro adjustments to the steering with one hand (because it is direct enough to respond to micro-steering). Steering also controls where the wing sits with the tip clearing the water, so it is a key control.
Softer handles don't have that direct feel for controlling Yaw - you have to twist them until the ends tighten up and are under tension before you get the response. My guess is that this why there is this experimenting - to get that direct steering control. Some of it can be done via stiffening the handles in the Yaw plane.
This directness is less important when you have both hands on the wing.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I bought a Duotone UNIT 5m to use on on a SUP on days when the wind was too light to foil. It seems very light and yet solid. It also gives more options later for foiling on a wave.
It could also be useful practice for the days when the wind dies and you have to slog back to shore.

I now have the 2021 JP Freefoil 115L.
115fin28cm.jpg
So far, I have been fitting a 28cm fin at the front of the tracks and using the UNIT 5m. It is less stable in roll than with a foil fitted, so a bit more of a balance test, but it will force me to get used to handling the wing well. It is a 3 dimensional balancing act - especially when standing - you have the option to raise the wing higher, which you can't do with a sail. I'm also learning that my wing leash is a bit short and my board leash gets in the way when getting onto the board, so I will try to optimise those. It's much more interesting and rewarding to wing on a small SUP in winds over 7mph than paddle.

I'm finding the wind/wave combination makes a big difference. Flat water is a lot easier to do everything, and there is a 140m by 50m pond I can use but it's usually in wind shadow. On flat water, it's easier trim everything right to go upwind.
Sideshore winds are easier than onshore winds, with waves up to 1' - both for balancing and trying to go upwind. I'm mostly using the wing in about 8mph-ish wind with the forward fin, but will use it up to 12 mph. I'll start trying wingfoiling when I have sorted out using the wing with a fin.

Over 12 mph I will windfoil if there are gusts to waterstart and the wind direction and tide suit. I have 2 back problems and try to avoid uphauling.
Last edited by ronnie on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.