4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Foiling related talk in here
Merlincat

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by Merlincat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am

Hi

Just seen this thread and I am interested in how Gongmob got on with the gong board?

Was thinking for getting one of these, and asked gong to put in a mast track for me, which they can do for €50, which I thought not too bad, considering the overall cost of their packages.

Did you get there foil?

Interested in the 4 in 1 concept, wanted a SUP board originally and saw SUP foiling and then I wondered if you can get a WindSup all in one as well!

Tried foiling last week, and not addicted!!

Cheers

Rob

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm

This could be a useful series on the Hypernut 4in1 7' 4".
So far just some video of him windsuping it on a wave.

AlexF
Been liked: 11 times

Post by AlexF » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:14 pm

My new 4in1

Taxi14.jpg
Taxi14.jpg (170.77 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Taxi11.jpg
Taxi11.jpg (177.13 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Taxi10.jpg
Taxi10.jpg (138.15 KiB) Viewed 309 times

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:13 pm

AlexF wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm
I have a Custom made 4in1 board, stubby shape, built fur supsurfing, windsuping, windfoiling and supfoiling.
And it prooved it works for all disciplines with dedicated sup- and windfoils .
Maybe i was one of the guys billyboy talked about when he was in Portugal.
This is already my second custom board built for me with this (my) concept (insert positioning).
From my experience with this board i think the Starboard HN 4in1 has a debateable positioning of the foilboxes and straps. Notice the the different position of the boxes and straps on the two smaller sizes compared to the big 8'0.
- boxes too far back for supfoiling on the smaller sizes -> adjust your stance backwards and learn it harder than necessary
- boxes too far forward for windfoiling with a dedicated windfoil (esp. with longer fuselage) on the 8'0 size -> use a supfoil for windfoiling
- straps too far forward for windfoiling with a supfoil on the 8'0 size -> go strapless on the backfoot
- back straps too far outside -> go strapless

The RRD foilboard on the other hand has the boxes positioned right, tuttle at the rear, us-boxes at the front. But "foil only" shape, so only 2in1.
Take my description and work out for yourself why a F-One Papenoo or Naish Hover Crossover also are at most 3in1 boards.

(my) Conclusion: If you want a real 4in1 with the boxes and straps positioned propperly for dedicated sup- and windfoils you have to go custom.
Alex

IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg
Been using my SB Hypernut 8.0 with a Slingshot Infinity 84 for windfoiling and have found that the right place for the back foot seems to be on top of the rear strap outboard back screws so its best used with a front strap only. Will try it with my AFS W85 if I get a chance and confirm foot placement for that. Very happy with it otherwise
Love your new board in the latest post, can't quite make out the specifications in the photos, guess you had it made to suit your weight?

AlexF

Post by AlexF » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:03 pm

For my 90 kg i wanted 130 Liters @ 9 kg
Taxi13.jpg
Taxi13.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Taxi12.jpg
Taxi12.jpg (175.65 KiB) Viewed 296 times

Stev-0
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Stev-0 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am

Just come across this good video review of the 4'in'1.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 pm

What would I give to get out on waves as nice as the ones in the video while trying to get to grips with the SUP Foil :D

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Finally got chance to use my 4in1 8.0 in windfoil mode with slingshot infinity 76, not having foiled for 2.5 months (its either been proper windy, not windy at all or had other commitments). So i was very very rusty. Also this was first time foiling in choppy open sea:

Yesterday i was struggling in 11 knot average on a 5.7, got up a few times in the gusts and at least blew away some of the foiling cobwebs. Mast track near nose means you have to tack in a fairly aggressive almost short board manner - but thats fine. Because of short distance from mast track to front straps You can slog along with your front foot in the outboard strap and pootle upwind nicely, then When the wind picks up its in the right place. I couldnt get my pumping and foil pumping sorted - kept destabilising the board (smaller than im used to foiling)

Today, 18 knot average - strongest average i have foiled in, and i could be airborne at will with no effort on the 5.7. Excitement factor sky high as speed picks up dramatically once up. Plenty of crashes - but thats to be expected as my musclee memory has drifted back to only normal windsurfing. I now get why footstrap positions on the rails are appropriate - it really lets you power up the foil. However i just cannot find a way to get my back foot into the strap that is out on the rail - so im going to ditch the rear straps in future as you can wrap your back foot very comfortably on the fat inverted rails, and you want it to be exactly where the strap is.

More broadly the board has achieved my objective - my elder daughter and I have been having fun figuring out how to Sup it with a view to surf supping, my younger daughter who has mobility issues has been having fun being pushed on small waves on it, and now i have got to foil it - and all in one trip where i could only bring one board. Dont think i will ever sup foil though (looks too hard) and i do think its windsurfing ability is misleading- its really only for float and ride if you want a really big board for that, its in no way a broadly useful windsurf (but i knew that)

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Stev-0 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am
Just come across this good video review of the 4'in'1.
Although he is showing the 4in1 at the start of the video, the two boards being surf foiled seem to be the 2in1? which has the foil position moved further forward and has a centre front strap where the mast track would be on a 4in1?

AlexF

Post by AlexF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

If somebody is interessted in a 4in1 board, i'm about to sell my Mojo Custom No. 1 that i had before i ordered the board No. 2 shown above.
It's the same shape, same measures,
243 x 77 cm, 129 Liters
US-Box doublerails und Deeptuttlebox
Futureboxes in Quad-Setup
Footstrapinserts
This board was build in an extreme HD construction regarding the foilboxes, massive carbon reinforcements in the tail, also a huge deckpad in thick footpad quality, therefore the weight is 10,6 kg.
The Board comes with 4 Mojo footstraps and gapfillers for the US- and Deeptuttleboxes.
There are some small repairs on the board, visible, because not repainted (pics on demand).

PM me, if anyone is interessted, i'm located in germany, but regularly on trips around europe, the next one planed from 30.09. - 11.10. to Bretagne, France, Crozon/Brest area. And then maybe the first weekend of November at the Netherlands, Brouwersdam area.
Otherwise shipping around europe should be no problem.

Alex

Pics are from the new board, i'll send recent pics via email.
Attachments
IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg