Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by Sailrepair » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm

wully wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm
Sailrepair wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 pm
I got a couple today. i have unpacked them but not had a chance to have a good look at them.
I’ll be interested to hear what your thoughts are.. If they are good then I could replace 2 boards with one..
You can try it if you like. I am waiting for a AFS surf foil for it but it should be useable with your foil.

Looking at the strap placements the back windsurf strap inserts are very far forward so I think it would be best to use it just with the front straps.

I nearly took mine today for a paddle just to see what the stability was like but after a long day on the water yesterday I couldn't work up the enthusiasm.

regarding air valves - it is indeed odd why windsurf boards have them and a lot of sups don't. I have had a couple of dark coloured sups delaminate which might or might not have been prevented by having a airvalve.

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Anyone been out yet on their shiny new 4in1's and ready to report back? Whats the rocker like at the rear?

I noticed that RRD now make a 2in1 (Windfoil and sup foil) called the Hi Flight. Its big (150l)and flat rockered at rear, as they say its hard to learn sup foiling and you need all the help you can get. My experience last week of trying to basic SUP surf was that balancing on a sup and paddling up to wave catching speed in fast waves was surprisingly hard (I gave up and just surfed on the SUP instead). Im guessing the RRD will be better for windfoiling than the Starboard 4in1, but you lose out on SUPing and windsurfing it.

RRD's blurb is this:

The HI-FLIGHT sup and ws foilboard is designed to allow an easy approach to sup and windsurf foiling and progress further with controlled and accessible performance.

The HI-FLIGHT is 150 lts in volume and has a size of 240x 78 cms ( 7’9” x 30 3/4”); we have found great advantages in using a longer and thicker board shape.

For windsurfing a moderate width of 78 cms keeps the board easy to start planing and foiling. It is very controllable when using it for pure freeriding (using it only with front straps in) or even strapless without harness lines on your boom!

For sup foiling this bigger shape gives extra stability when paddling and allows a faster positioning on the line up, catch the right wave at the right speed and getting the necessary momentum to avoid out of control take offs.

Windsurfing Features

A straight rocker line with a dead flat tail section, helps getting immediate speed and reduces the problem of excessive slowing down on touchdowns
Marked beveled edge on the nose section of the rails all the way to the hydrofoil base plate attachment point. This special rail shape allows to keep momentum when foiling and further reduces the impact resistance on touch downs
A pronounced edge of the concave deck marks the limit of your front feet positioning when riding strapless
The crocodile skin 3 mm eva deck has a striped color coded design (from nose to tail: orange/black/gray and white); the gray stripe area only uses a diamond grooved texture to recongnize the correct position of your back foot directly on top of the foil plate
The two US box slots in the bottom will allow the foil plate to be moved back and forth and achieve the correct foil placement when sup foiling

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Sailrepair » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:40 pm

I have not been out on mine yet. I don't really want to put my normal foil on it so I am waiting for a AFS surf foil to try it with.

If you haven't waved supped much before I am not surprised you found it hard. It doesn't take much chop to make life hard. I have to admit to finding sup surfing very frustrating at times (due to my poor ability).

I can see why rrd would have gone for a straight rocker if the board is for foil use only as being able to accelerate up onto the foil quickly will make a big difference but at the expense of making the board for foil use only.

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm

I took mine out on Saturday and today. I kind of went straight to foil mode to see how it handled really. Quite an experience overall!!!
I have the large pryde foil, launching into 2 foot shorebreak was trickier than I anticipated, its alot of kit to be washed around and the foil is more cumbersome than you imagine. Once deep enough to paddle, the drag becomes apparent, you really notice it. Being a short board at 8 foot progress out is slower than youd like. The foil does however add alot of stability to the board, almost a feeling of 30 litres more.
I did miss the best of the waves and they weren't up to much at all. After 20mins I went in to change to sup mode but decidedly it wasn't worth going back out.
Today was 2 foot and 18secs. I just used the hypernut as a wave sup. At 133 litres you have to be really accurate with your foot placement. It is a really good in surf sup mode on a wave, fast to accelerate and lively, but this is what it was originally for and the main reason I bought it.
It was a gorgeous day, sunny , no wind and I was in my 3mm suit.
I think that before I sup foil it I will definitely try wind foiling first and get pulled behind a jet ski or boat. From what I've read you will take a pasting trying to sup foil straight off the bat without doing this and I do believe it. I've read that some get up in 4/5 sessions, others much longer. It is going to be hard work.
It is clear that whilst you can foil a very flat swell, you do need something steep or breaking to get you going first.
I'm not sure about the position of the hypernuts foil straps though, the front one is 22cm between screw holes, this really stretches the stap and gives you a very Long flat strap that could be hard to get out of, a better solution would have been more screw holes so you can get more adjustment that way without the risk of foot injury.
I have seen the other brands boards, it kind of depends on what use you want out of it, the rrd could well be a better foil sup board but doesn't sound great for surf sup, the fanatic foil sup is similar.

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:33 pm

An explanation why windfoiling is one of the easiest ways to get into foiling.

https://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/sea ... %20foiling

AlexF
Been liked: 11 times

Post by AlexF » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm

I have a Custom made 4in1 board, stubby shape, built fur supsurfing, windsuping, windfoiling and supfoiling.
And it prooved it works for all disciplines with dedicated sup- and windfoils .
Maybe i was one of the guys billyboy talked about when he was in Portugal.
This is already my second custom board built for me with this (my) concept (insert positioning).
From my experience with this board i think the Starboard HN 4in1 has a debateable positioning of the foilboxes and straps. Notice the the different position of the boxes and straps on the two smaller sizes compared to the big 8'0.
- boxes too far back for supfoiling on the smaller sizes -> adjust your stance backwards and learn it harder than necessary
- boxes too far forward for windfoiling with a dedicated windfoil (esp. with longer fuselage) on the 8'0 size -> use a supfoil for windfoiling
- straps too far forward for windfoiling with a supfoil on the 8'0 size -> go strapless on the backfoot
- back straps too far outside -> go strapless

The RRD foilboard on the other hand has the boxes positioned right, tuttle at the rear, us-boxes at the front. But "foil only" shape, so only 2in1.
Take my description and work out for yourself why a F-One Papenoo or Naish Hover Crossover also are at most 3in1 boards.

(my) Conclusion: If you want a real 4in1 with the boxes and straps positioned propperly for dedicated sup- and windfoils you have to go custom.
Alex

IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4445.jpeg (339.79 KiB) Viewed 288 times
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg (408.56 KiB) Viewed 288 times
IMG_4418.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg (174.86 KiB) Viewed 288 times

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi AlexF,

This interview with D'Jo of D'Light boards in Tenerife includes similar views about getting everything in the right place for a windfoil board and other places for other purposes.

https://www.windfoilzone.com/single-pos ... feedburner

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm

AlexF, RRD seem to agree with you - similar fin box spacing on the Hi Flight supfoil/windfoil board to on your board.

http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equi ... hi-flight/

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:43 pm

The 2019 Zeeko wind/SUP/foil board - the Air Wave - also has a similar layout.

from Windsurf Magazine

AlexF
Been liked: 11 times

Post by AlexF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:51 am

ronnie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pm
Hi AlexF,

This interview with D'Jo of D'Light boards in Tenerife includes similar views about getting everything in the right place for a windfoil board and other places for other purposes.

https://www.windfoilzone.com/single-pos ... feedburner
Good points in his interview.
And the boards shown in the video underline what i said about box and strap positioning.
On the purple board he uses a Slingshot windfoil, he's always riding with the backfoot in front of the strap because either the backstrap is too far back or the box too far forward for a windfoil with long fuselage.
On the other yellow/green board this setup works, because it's riden with a supfoil with short fuse.
Alex