4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by ronnie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 pm

I'm using a 103 litre 219cm by 71cm JP Surf Slate (7' 2" x 28") modified to have 2 off 10" Futures US boxes. The boxes were fitted 5cm forward of where I requested, but so far, it feels balanced to windfoil it with a GoFoil IWA right at the back of the tracks (though there are extra holes in the adaptor base, so I could move it back another 1.5cm if needed). I foil it with just the foil (or sometimes with an R7 centre fin as well). I tend to windSUP it now with a 9" SUP foil in one of the 10" tracks, to avoid removing and replacing the R7 or R5 fins.
IWAsmall.JPG
IWAsmall.JPG (146.74 KiB) Viewed 675 times
It has a lot of rocker. This is a photo of a slightly larger 229cm Slate I used to own - showing how much tail rocker it has (and it has a channel in the centre where the boxes are fitted, so it is even more extreme there). That is why I use a 10mm wedge under the base of the foil on my 219cm Slate.
Slate 7 6 rockersmall.jpg
Slate 7 6 rockersmall.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 675 times
The rocker also means that it takes a lot of power to get it planing as a windsup, but it does catch waves very well to help get it planing. It gybes very well, so it should make a good strapless onshore wave board. The problem is going upwind after riding a wave, as the board soaks up so much power and doesn't have any attributes to make it good upwind (unless it was on the foil).

I don't plan to paddle SUPfoil it (though it paddles OK with the foil on it). Where I live the waves are generated by local winds, so it is normally the case that if there are waves, there is also a wind blowing in a similar direction to the wave movement. Paddling directly into waves and wind is not fun.

So it is more of a downwinding situation. That is why I am expecting that eventually the fun would be to sail out, catch a swell and flag the sail out to ride the swell in. Most beaches get shaped so waves dump, so it makes sense to me to be thinking long term of riding swell downwind and then foiling back up to catch another.

Casey Treichler's methods seem to me to be the ideal way to approach it.
Last edited by ronnie on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Ronnie,
Does the shorter fuselage length cause any problems? I see that many of the manufacturers use longer length fuselage for windfoil , pryde, slingshot and I think Naish, even when using same wing sizes.
I was hoping to do as you have and use a surf foil for both, I realise that windfoil will be " sedate"

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Jamesblonde wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:02 pm
Ronnie,
Does the shorter fuselage length cause any problems? I see that many of the manufacturers use longer length fuselage for windfoil , pryde, slingshot and I think Naish, even when using same wing sizes.
I was hoping to do as you have and use a surf foil for both, I realise that windfoil will be " sedate"
The board and foil feel quite balanced, but the IWA foil is for turning and surfing, so it is designed not for stability, but quick response. I would describe it as squirrelly, as it is more sensitive in seemingly all directions than the Zeeko foil. It does lift at low speed though, so things are moving a bit slower and it gives you more time to react. It is more difficult to get a sustained flight than the Zeeko, because it reacts more, but you could learn with it.
It is easier to control the 2017 Zeeko windfoil, and I prefer using it until I get more muscle memory.

Giampaolo Cammarota on Maui teaches on a big SUP with the Maliko 200 or 280, and now that they have the bigger 29.5" mast, the bigger wings can be used to windfoil, and the 2 larger more stable foils are what he teaches with. I have the 24.5 mast with a base plate which lengthens the 'mast' to 73cm. When I bought mine, Gofoil were only recommending up to the IWA for windfoiling with the 24.5" mast, as it is less wide than the new mast.

I expect the Maliko 200 with a 29.5" (75cm) mast fitted to a tuttle box would be an easier more stable foil and good for windfoiling. Casey Treichler uses both the Maliko 200 and the IWA for wave riding windfoiling. I have read that GoFoil are now producing interchangeable wings and masts to a standard where they are all going to be fitting together (instead of having to buy a set that have been matched to a particular mast). It seems they will also be reducing the price, but these details are not on their website yet.

The Bouyer brothers are using the old 160 Malikos in this video.

Another option is the JP board and NP Glide foil. The Wind version of the fuselage seems to be 15cm longer than the Surf version.
http://jp-australia.com/2019/sup/produc ... 2019-foil/
EDIT: The JP Foil board has a 33cm long track mount. They show the board being surfed and windfoiled, but it may be that they are using the Surf fuselage for both. In this video, they show the Surf foil at the middle of the track, so that would suggest that they don't intend it to be used with the windfoil fuselage. The Wind fuselage has the mast 15cm further aft of the front wing than the Surf fuselage.

The 2019 Surf Slate Foil board shows them using the Surf fuselage at the front of the track, so maybe it would be more likely to work with a Wind fuselage?
http://jp-australia.com/2019/sup/produc ... oil-slate/

Side note:

Shortly after this video (of someone else) was shot, I was windfoiling just North of this spot and made the mistake of using a 6.3m sail and was way overpowered on the JP Slate. It was very difficult to keep the IWA foil in the water, so after 1 run out and in, I switched from the IWA (with a 10mm wedge) to the 2017 Zeeko (with a 3mm wedge glued to it) and was able to sail it with the windfoil (but still way overpowered, so although it was easier to keep it in the water, I just did one more run out and in). The spot is tide dependent and with the tide on its way out, I hadn't time to switch to a 4.5m sail (the wedge was also angling the foil down into the water, so it probably needed more power to get it flying).

The 2017 Zeeko was aimed at using tracks to mount it, and had the mast just far enough back to make it balanced for windfoiling. I used both foils right at the back of the tracks.
Last edited by ronnie on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossy5575
Been liked: 1 time

Post by crossy5575 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Not asking for much! I have been a fan of AHD kit, which is always under promoted in the UK.
I have the summerboard which is great for SUP windsup in light winds - all be it a bit big.

I think their sealion wings producs was quite highly reviewed, and is probably a good allround product.
As an asside i wonder what the differnt characteristics of a good suf foil is vs stand up paddle foil vs windfoil.
one would imagine the amount of lift and angle of planning would be different for each?

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Stock of the 4in1 now seems to have reached UK - would be very interested in any more feedback, especially the biggest one for heavyweights like me
Last edited by Smidge on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesblonde

Post by Jamesblonde » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Picking mine up on Sunday :P

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 pm

I got a couple today. i have unpacked them but not had a chance to have a good look at them.

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 am

This article is interesting about 4 in 1

https://www.florianjung.com/virgin-foiling/

wully
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by wully » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Sailrepair wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 pm
I got a couple today. i have unpacked them but not had a chance to have a good look at them.
I’ll be interested to hear what your thoughts are.. If they are good then I could replace 2 boards with one..

Jamesblonde

Post by Jamesblonde » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Picked up my 8 footer today, lovely looking bit of kit. Briefly

Quite unusual if you've not seen a nut shaped board. Loving the rail detail with carbon integral stuff. 6 quality fins for sup and windsurf. Coil leash. Nicely sculpted handle, it's set back a bit on the board which will probably balance when there is foil in the board. 3 box blanks for when not using them.
It's the starlight version, feels and looks quality, maybe heavier than I'm used to with windsurf boards but it is an 8 foot 240cm 133l board with alot of boxes and straps.
Puzzle, why is there no air vent screw?
Why does the front sup foil strap in centre of board have a minimum screw distance of 22cm which the strap can barely reach?
I don't like the idea of using deep Tuttle screw for back strap, seems a bit made up, but will probably work ok.
Cant wait to try it, probably as a sup first. I've no foil yet so it's that or windsurfing it.