4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Foiling related talk in here
northy
Been liked: 23 times

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by northy »

I'm borrowing that naish 120
Been on it a few times (90kg) in 10kts...too light
But first time there was wind (18 kts) it was pretty easy as a novice to pump up and get flights
2nd session was easier still and I could fly maybe 1km in any direction within a few goes...even started to feel confident pumping in lulls...in light winds its MUCH harder

But imo already after maybe 2 hrs on the foil it felt too long for a pure wing experience..its 7'4 . Its great fun..but i immediately felt I wanted a shorter board

note i haven't used it as a windsurfer or sup

I'm going to buy a dedicated wing board around 5'10 or 6 ft
James.blonde
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by James.blonde »

I have the Gong Flint in 5'8". 110l and its perfect for me at 86kg . Doesn't feel too big in flight but super easy to get to feet and get going on. I started on an 8 foot hypernut and instantly felt that was too big after an hour. I'd recommend Gong, real.y nice kit, board weighs 6kg and well finished.
grantmac
Been liked: 13 times

Post by grantmac »

James.blonde wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm I have the Gong Flint in 5'8". 110l and its perfect for me at 86kg . Doesn't feel too big in flight but super easy to get to feet and get going on. I started on an 8 foot hypernut and instantly felt that was too big after an hour. I'd recommend Gong, real.y nice kit, board weighs 6kg and well finished.
That's not a 4-in-1 board though is it?
James.blonde
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by James.blonde »

No, it was in response to Northy saying he wanted to buy a dedicated wingboard.
northy
Been liked: 23 times

Post by northy »

I picked up my new board yesterday...naish 110
I will report back after use (I'm a bit worried I should've chosen the bigger 125 model, at 90kg) on impressions compared to the crossover 120.
However I've e managed to bugger my knee somehow and can't walk so won't be this week.
Jan

Post by Jan »

ronnie wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm This could be a useful series on the Hypernut 4in1 7' 4".
So far just some video of him windsuping it on a wave.
Hi Ronnie, Can you give me a view of the finn set up you use while windsurfing please. I find this board difficult to ride as a windsurfer with the SB finns. Do you use it in a quad set-up or do you use only de 4.7 finns as a twinser?
Thanks
Jan
ronnie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by ronnie »

Jan wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:40 am
ronnie wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:00 pm This could be a useful series on the Hypernut 4in1 7' 4".
So far just some video of him windsuping it on a wave.
Hi Ronnie, Can you give me a view of the finn set up you use while windsurfing please. I find this board difficult to ride as a windsurfer with the SB finns. Do you use it in a quad set-up or do you use only de 4.7 finns as a twinser?
Thanks
Jan
Hi Jan,
I have never owned a Starboard SUP foil - the video is not related to my gear.

The only SUP foil one I have windsurfed was a 2016 JP SUP Slate 103 litre 7'2" by 28" modified with 2 foil tracks.
It had 5 fin boxes and I used R7 rear fins, R5 front fins and a small knubster fin in the centre rear box. I was basically trying to get as much fin size as I could so I could use a 5.3m sail. They only recommended using a 4.5m sail on the board and I wanted to try to get it planing on flat water. It had a lot of rocker and it took all the power I could hold with my feet gripping strapless to make it plane on flat water - so it didn't suit that.
For windsurfing it suited non-planing out through waves and then catching a wave. On a wave it picked up speed well and turned like a small strapless waveboard. For that I used the R7 fins in the front and R5 in the rear quad setup.
Smidge
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Smidge »

I have the bigger 4 in 1. I have only windsurfed it a couple of times as i really only want it for Foiling and sup, but did ask a few questions of Starboard on this subject. Key points about windsurfing it are 1) dont use the tuttle finbox - thats only for foiling, its not in the ideal place for windsurfing, 2) board is supposed to be windsurfed as a quad with the bigger fins, 3) its not designed for normal windsurfing- its supposed to be a low wind float and ride wave board (and can be fun like that when conditions are right), 4) it will also pootle happily in low winds as a windsup just as something to do if Sup gets boring but you do need to be focused to stay upwind and going seriously upwind is not worth the bother (just as with any board without a daggerboard in sub planing winds).
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Synergy hand paddles. Could be useful for prone foiling or for paddling back in if the wind swings offshore and dies a bit.

Fast Starfish by Cynthia.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Dominic Hoskins down-winding in no wind and waves under 2 feet - in the Gulf of Oman.
He plans to get to a level where he can dock start and pump to the waves and then ride them along the coast without the support jet-ski.

Trevor Tunnington travelling out to catch a wave on a SUP foil. He seems to be using an IWA Gofoil - which is not really a 'pumping' foil,

The pumping foils (like the P180) are not as good on the wave as the wave designs such as the IWA, but there are designs that try to get as much of both as a compromise. The Axis 1150 is a bit bigger than the P180, and is another 'pump/glide' foil - (maybe more suited for use on a SUP than the P180?).
Last edited by ronnie on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.