4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Foiling related talk in here
Smidge
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 80 times

4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by Smidge »

Im a bit fascinated by these types of board. Naish do one, but probably most versatile is the Starboard hypernut 4in1 (deep tuttle box and twin Us boxes for foils, plus quad fins for Sup etc.)

Anyone got any experience of them in the real world? Could they be fun to sup on the mush we get on south coast? Would they be Ok for flat water supping when im bored? Is the windfoil option too much of a compromise because the rocker line will restrict inital take off?
Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: 4in1 sup/windfoil/surfoil/windsurf

Post by Lostboy »

Can't answer your question directly as I don't know. However I am always very sceptical of any products that offer that level of compromise. The Naish Hover still strikes me as the best foil board precisely because it's designed especially for foiling and not being a windsurf board. Strap positions, rocker lines etc. are all different.

Whilst a "one board fits all" solution may work from a storage/transport point of view I just couldn't live with the performance compromise.
billyboy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by billyboy »

There were a few "multi-purpose" boards in evidence on holiday in Portugal this summer. There was a freeride board that could be converted into a kids beginner board with the addition of a small fixed daggerboard, which I thought was a pretty good idea especially at that location where you had perfect beginner conditions in the morning then windy afternoons.

There were also some foil capable windsups - again pretty fun at that location as you could SUP, windsup or foil depending on wind or waves in the morning then switch to your high performance kit in the afternoon. Some very good sailors (way better than me) were using these boards for long sessions every morning so they must have some appeal even for us performance snobs!

I have always been a fan of the windsup in certain conditions, but they are not conditions we get very often where I sail on the south coast - perhaps adding a foiling option would broaden the appeal a bit...
Stev-0
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Stev-0 »

I have just got the 4-in-1 7''4 Hypernut! 106L in the Starlite construction. https://sup.star-board.com/products/hypernut-foil/

I also got the Go Foil gen 1 foil which is working well for wind foiling and learning to SUP foil.

My rationale was the following:
1. I am keen to learn to SUP foil so wanted to get into that.
2. I already do a lot of wind foiling on a Formula and slalom board with the Starboard GT foil set up but was getting fascinated by the video clips of light wind wave foiling so wanted a board and foil to try that. https://vimeo.com/243522731
3. I already have a 7'4 Deep Minion SUP which I was hardly using so the Hypernut will replace that for normal SUP surfing. The Hypernut gets good reviews as a SUP surf board.
4. I wanted the utility of the 4-in-1 options to get the most value out of the investment - rather than add another board to my collection of 11 boards already in my garage!

Had the perfect first weekend for it as had two sessions of learning to SUP surf foil and the wind came up quickly onshore to about 12knots so rigged a 6.2 and was flying around wind foiling. Then took it out for a tow behind a boat. Stoked!

This review clinched it for me: https://www.foilbuzz.com/single-post/20 ... Foil-Board

Ride Impressions:
We were really impressed with the Hypernut. In our experience "do it all" boards typically don't do anything very well. The Hypernut is an exception to this rule. It can be used with or without a foil for SUP, surfing, and even windsurfing. Surprisingly in downwind SUP foil conditions, the board felt like it was designed with the solo intention of being a SUP foil board.

The board nails the delicate balance required of all foil boards. It provides enough stability, bouyancy, and speed to catch waves, but once it's flying it feels compact and light. The rail design easily releases from the water on brief touchdowns. The hyper nut feels longer than it is in the water and accelerates rapidly for a short board. It also tracks better than some of its competitors likely due to the relatively straight rails and the channel tail.

We believe the 7'4" will be a great option for the vast majority of riders. Coupled with a Go Foil Maliko 200, it turns downwind days into a magic carpet ride. We have not had a chance to ride the 6'10" but for advanced or smaller riders, that size is appealing. The more experience we gain foiling, the more we gravitate towards the smallest boards we can handle. We like that there is also a large option for learning. We believe it is much easier to spend some days early on in the learning curve riding a big board. At 8'0" x 31" you may outgrow this board. But having a large board to learn on can make that first season of foiling a lot more fun. With all of the foiling newbies out there you wont have any trouble selling this board when you are ready to downsize.

Overall Impression:
The Starboard Hypernut is a blast to ride. It handled very well in the tough conditions we put it through. With a range of construction options and a great range of sizes there is a Hypernut out there for everyone. As an added benefit you can still rip on this board without a foil.
Smidge

Post by Smidge »

Thanks, thats incredibly helpful. Do you have a view yet on what the difference in take off wind speed/technique is for windfoiling compared to your formula board? I also have a formula board for windfoiling but Its a pain to transport and im not bothered about top speed. I dont want to lose much in terms of minimum take off wind speed in exchange for having the flexibility to mess about with the sup aspects. Thanks
Stev-0

Post by Stev-0 »

I use the Go Foil on the Hypernut and the Starboard GT foil on the formula board. They are totally different foils as the Go Foil flies early at low speed and is manoeuvrable which is what I want for light wind wave foiling and riding waves and SUP foiling on the Hypernut. Take off speed is about the same but on the Go Foil I would use a smaller sail than on a Formula board and Starboard foil - but seeing as the Hypernut/Go Foil is for waves and the Formula/Starboard foil is for top speed and racing - it hard to compare.

Technique on Hypernut is different - I tried it with straps but felt the back foot needed to be inboard over the foil rather than outboard on the rail. Next time I will try just the front straps and then try strapless. The Go Foil is a slower but more powerful foil so find I need to be more inboard and over the foil versus the Formula board which is about going fast and getting control by leverage over the outboard rail.

I tried the Go Foil on my 80cm wide 120L slalom board and it got going easy but the back legs started burning when going fast as need to keep the foil in the water on a short mast.

I am experimenting all the time with gear and technique and trying different foils and boards - heaps to learn - which why it is so much fun - like windsurfing was 30 years ago!
Sailrepair
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Sailrepair »

I have the 8' 4in1 hypernut on order but its not due until February. I have a AFS surf foil arriving any day now which I will put on it. I am not sure how much I will use it but I look forward to trying it.

There are other alternative boards but the easiest one to get here would be the JP foil slate and the AHD sealion wings but neither of those have strap options.But I don't think I will use it with straps anyway, I will just use my normal foil gear if I want to use footstraps..
Stev-0

Post by Stev-0 »

Cool! Let us know how you get on with it? Like I said, I am going to try a the Go Foil and Starboard foils in it and play around with different set ups and will report back...
Smidge

Post by Smidge »

Thanks for all the input. I will wait until the Spring before making a decision so please carry on providing feedback.
Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Jamesblonde »

I've been doing alot of reading on this over Christmas. It's not as straightforward as you first think.
Foil sizing for surf sups is quite heavily dependent on body weight . I'm about 88kg ,14 stone nearly, 200lb. This puts me needing one of the larger foils which many manufacturers say are not guaranteed for use in waves which is a bit a bigger. Go foil for example.
I am looking at the 8 foot hyper nut which for 2019 has twin US boxes and deep tuttle. It seems the twin US box is becoming the favourite solution for all foiling uses. It also has footstrap positions for foilsup and windsurfing & windsup use.
The 4 in one hyper nut is £ 1350, very rated as a Sup with 133litres it shouldn't be too wobbly. I would probably have gone smaller if more sup foiling but the next one down would be restrictive for sup alone.
Looking into foils it seems that pryde have hit the nail on the head with a very popular foil this year, it's available with 3 wing sizes, I will need the large for surf sup. Good news is that you can windsup it but obviously not going to compare to full on dedicated windsurf wings. It will probably satisfying my occasional use for summer low wind messing about. A guy on sea breeze forum has used the medium wing at 32knots behind a boat towfoiling and never had control issues.
It's also the cheapest foil at £750, alloy mast with composite wings.
It's a big outlay overall but the hypernut covers many options, probably going to sell my 7m and futura to thin things out a bit in the garage.
Not 100 % there yet but pretty keen, there were some super waves at LA this past few weeks that would have been sublime on a foil, the lack of wind meant it wasn't even good enough for float and ride as you couldn't get upwind. I think there is a back order on the board so will have to wait 3 months for delivery anyway.