Foiling stance - rig geometry... Advice pls

Foiling related talk in here
rod
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 36 times

Foiling stance - rig geometry... Advice pls

Post by rod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:34 am

I just had my 4th foiling session (Naish foil + board) and am getting flying and staying up ok.

However I don't feel comfortable, have difficulty staying in the harness lines. This is making me tired quickly and taking my focus away from trimming the board.

Can the foilers here describe how they set their lines and how it (and using the harness) is different from normal sailing.

Thanks!

Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Foiling stance - rig geometry... Advice pls

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:30 am

Im not much further on than you - and I still have some of the problem you describe. Significantly shorter lines made a big difference, as did just doing it often enough to relax/let it become more instinctive / muscle memory. Im not fully there yet though so very interested in other answers. In fact last time I foiled it felt like I was a beginner again as something just wasnt right.

rod

Post by rod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:39 am

Thanks smidge. Hope some others can answer.

What length lines are you using?

Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 am

Im using ION adjustable varios that have a range of 26-34, borrowed from my daughter, and Im using them at roughly 27 (havent really experimented much other than started off with them at 32 and that was awful, tightened them up a lot and it seemed much better). Basically, other than when fully powered and charging upwind (or trying to more like) my foiling stance is a bit more upright (not hugely, but enough to feel different, certainly quite different to a slalom stance, much less so versus a wave or freestyle stance - but still different), with weight pushing more down rather than sideways. That puts me closer to the boom.

I have also noticed that any sudden reduction in mast foot pressure due to coming out of the lines and unplanned big sheeting out will lead to overfoiling, or big oscillations.

I wouldnt recommend any adjustable lines though other than the ones that serious racers use with a big cleat (like chinook) as all the buckle ones I have ever used at rental centres slip under load (although that forced me to use long lines for normal windsurfing which was an improvement!). New Severne race might be worth a try though, as I cant imagine they are rubbish.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:30 pm

my two pence, Short harness lines they are about 22cm and I'm 6''1 (we use adjustable with cleat ). High boom and move the lines a little forward of where you normally have them windsurfing.

rod

Post by rod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks Deckchair.
Do you hold the boom in the normal place and is the rig especially raked back? (I'm finding I have to do that as a I get up on the foil and hold the book nearer the mast).

rod

Post by rod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm

Have ordered some adjustable lines!

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:07 am

i have found there are two distinct phases in foiling , the first is very much like windsurfing stance when your pumping up on the foil but when your on the foil the second phase both hands are much more forward especially the back hand.

ronnie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:03 am

I bought Gaastra adjustable lines 24" to 28" and found they had the ideal range for me. With the 6.3m sail, I used 28" and with the 4.5m I used 24". I have been using boards 103L to 112L and foils 910 to 1612 sq cm. I tend to be foiling with an upright stance, so the size/height of the sail is a major factor in line length. I'm 5' 8" and use 28" when windsurfing.

I've been fiddling around so much with sail settings, mast base positions, foil positions and AOA, boom height and different foils that I have not got to a stage where I can analyse settings, like I can with windsurfing.

Unfortunately the adjustable lines started slipping, so I stopped using them. I've had a sequence of injuries since November which kept me off the water for over 6 months and have only foiled once since then. Currently have bruised ribs.

rod

Post by rod » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks Ronnie
I do find all the settings on the Naish quite confusing. (mastfoot position, foil position, foil tail angle, footstrap position).

At the moment I have the foil in the middle and the mastfoot near the back of the track* but still finding that the rig is angled back a long way making hooking in awkward. So I have just moved the straps back a bit.

I'm also only going along quite slowly and the nose of the board is riding high (wheelie). I can already see that board speed is going to make things much easier (point higher, cruise through lulls etc).

*putting it near the front made taking off harder