Windfoil begginer's do's and dont's

Foiling related talk in here
copek

Re: Windfoil begginer's do's and dont's

Post by copek »

This is great stuff!
ronnie wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 am One of our posters - Heli-boy 99
has done an excellent blog of starting with similar Naish equipment.
He does have a pretty good location for learning with a large area of relatively shallow water.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdgYDK ... 9Lg/videos

copek

Post by copek »

Westy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:23 am Hi copek, you are going to have a lot of fun learning! My tips would be;

1. Wear a helmet. Just getting the kit into deep enough water with the board upside down and the foil above you can lead to unintended contact, especially in choppy water.

2. Short harness lines (I use adjustables set to 26" although I use 30" lines for windsurfing) further forward than normal so that you don't over-sheet (easily done when the wind is light).

3. Very loose front foot straps and take the rear ones off to start with so you have the freedom to move the back foot and trim the foil. Ride with the front foot almost disengaged from the strap. As has already been pointed out, getting the front foot wedged and then having the board on the foil tip to windward is one of the nastiest situations. As you get more proficient with pumping you can engage the front foot for maximum purchase then once up on the foil you can retract the foot again.

4. As long as you always remember that there is a sharp thing under the back of your board then waterstarting is absolutely fine. Just take it slow and resist the urge to kick hard. When starting out if you can *just* waterstart then you are probably sailing in the right wind strength for your sail size. If waterstarting is easy then you will be overpowered on the foil.
Helmet is a deifnitel ... do you reckon buyonacy aid is enough additional protection over an impact vest? Nearest A&E is a far way away in Tiree!
Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Sailrepair »

Beware of the rocks in the middle of Gott Bay.
Westy
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Westy »

Helmet is a deifnitel ... do you reckon buyonacy aid is enough additional protection over an impact vest? Nearest A&E is a far way away in Tiree!
Personally I don't wear either but go with whatever feels best for you.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

I wear an impact vest and helmet. With windfoiling, it can be relatively safe compared to other types of foiling because the boom can keep you away from the foil - if you hold on to the boom. The catapults from a breach can be worse than a normal windsurf catapult, because it starts from higher up and is more difficult to resist.

The main risks are getting stuck in the straps or kicking the rear edge or tip of the foil wings. I have made the rear edges of my foil wings and mast less sharp. The GoFoil wings are very blunt as they are designed to be hit with a rubber mallet.

The biggest benefits from my impact vest so far is that it counteracts the extra weight of the helmet and means I don't have to kick my legs so much when waterstarting. I waterstart as much as possible, because I have a couple of back problems. I have never injured myself from kicking the foil.

Some foil wings have trailing edges like knives - which could give a deep cut.
This is unlikely to happen windfoiling - (he was wingfoiling), but it does give good advice on what to have in a first aid kit and what to do with a deep cut.
He starts talking about getting cut at 16:30 in this video.
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
copek

Post by copek »

Sailrepair wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 pm Beware of the rocks in the middle of Gott Bay.
Good point. Wonder if the loch is deep enough? Nice flat water ...
BillG
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by BillG »

A friend of mine learned to foil on the Loch but it may not be allowed while classes are on.
BillG
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by BillG »

ronnie wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:34 am I wear an impact vest and helmet. With windfoiling, it can be relatively safe compared to other types of foiling because the boom can keep you away from the foil - if you hold on to the boom. The catapults from a breach can be worse than a normal windsurf catapult, because it starts from higher up and is more difficult to resist.

The main risks are getting stuck in the straps or kicking the rear edge or tip of the foil wings. I have made the rear edges of my foil wings and mast less sharp. The GoFoil wings are very blunt as they are designed to be hit with a rubber mallet.

The biggest benefits from my impact vest so far is that it counteracts the extra weight of the helmet and means I don't have to kick my legs so much when waterstarting. I waterstart as much as possible, because I have a couple of back problems. I have never injured myself from kicking the foil.

Some foil wings have trailing edges like knives - which could give a deep cut.
This is unlikely to happen windfoiling - (he was wingfoiling), but it does give good advice on what to have in a first aid kit and what to do with a deep cut.
He starts talking about getting cut at 16:30 in this video.
Interesting but gruesome watch. Think I might avoid foiling!

I wonder what that treatment cost him!
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

Fortunately windfoiling injuries seem to be quite rare.

You can get injured in a similar (or worse) way with a fin.
eg.
Throughout your career you suffered various injuries that have affected your physical windsurfing abilities. Two injuries come to my mind right now?.. first slicing a muscle with your own fin and nearly bleading to death (to speak in the words of Dr. Luis Ruiz ?Taso?) and second your injured ankles of the feet that currently force you to sail without footstraps. Tell us something about it.
I started competing very late. I was about 26 years old. I was very motivated together with Dany (Bruch) to compete in Pozo Izquierdo where I won against Josh Stone and Francisco Goya and the very next day I cut my muscle sailing in Médano. That was it. Since that day I was never up there again, never reached that level again. After recuperating from the injury I didn´t feel any strength in the leg and it gave me constantly convulsions. (he shows me a 35cm long scar on his leg which any bullfighter would be proud of.) The muscle is completely deformed as the fin entered really deep.

from Bart David's interview.
http://www.windsurfingtenerife.com/inde ... surf-story
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

It’s hard not to be twitched when hearing all the horror stories about foiling injuries but the truth is that loads of wind and wing foiling is done without death and disaster everyday all over the world.
While some of the high end foils are very sharp most of the ‘normal’ foils have reasonably safe tips and edges.
We all have different attitudes to risk and a little common sense goes a long way.
Enjoy the journey learning to foil, it’s hard to wipe the stupid grin off your face when you start getting good flights.