Windfoil begginer's do's and dont's

Foiling related talk in here
copek

Windfoil begginer's do's and dont's

Post by copek »

Hi all ... I've just bagged myself a wind foil setup to keep me entertained while we are camping in Tiree this summer. I've never foiled before and have a few questions please.

Foiling do's and dont's
I'm workin my way through the Sam Ross videos, but am after those golden nugget one liners that made all the difference for you. So far my list is ...

- when crashing, hold onto the boom to keep you away from the foil
- stance should be upright with heels down, hinging slightly at waist. Bent knees = board tipping to leeward and you falling backwards onto the foil
- higher boom, shorter lines compared to finned sailing
- uphauling is generally better to avoid kicking the foil

Imapct vests - how 'impact' are these or are they just more stlyish bouyancy aids? I've been give an old waterski bouyancy aid which will hopefully do the trick. Will also be wearing a helmet while learning.

Anti sieze - what are people using to make sure you can take the foil apart again? Vasiline/all purpose grease/cycling lithium grease on the threads? Also keen to avoid the alu/carbon bonding that can take place.

Any tips greatfully received!
BillG
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 170 times

Re: Windfoil begginer's do's and dont's

Post by BillG »

When are you in Tiree copek? Hopefully when I'm there in August, you buying a foil will guaranty wind. :lol:

Might see you on the beach.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

One thing to check is how balanced your equipment can be.
I started by combining foils with boards that were never originally designed for foiling, but had been modified to take a foil.

Boards that have been designed as foil boards matched with foils that suit it will match, but there are combinations that are harder to balance.

If there is doubt about whether they will match, it can be best to start with no footstraps and find where the balance points are for sail position and feet (and maybe foil position - if there is adjustment).

Tefgel seems to work very well to prevent corrosion on my steel/aluminium connections.

When starting, I'd suggest falling upwind is a lot safer and easier to recover from, so I always err toward falling upwind.
I favoured staying closer to the surface and accepting touch-downs at the beginning, as you spend a lot more time on the board and a lot less in the water and uphauling.
It's also worth ensuring that your feet do not get stuck in a strap during a breach crash. I was lucky my foot only got sprained when it got stuck and a friend got stuck in the strap face down in the water.
If you are not using a big sail with a freeride/freerace setup, you don't need to put a lot of force into the straps, and the stance is more upright, so the straps can be looser.

One thing to expect when the board first lifts up on the foil, is that it is likely to turn upwind (because we are used to having our feet more outboard while on the water), and my windsurfing natural reaction was to lean forward and try to blow the nose downwind - which is totally over-correcting and resulted in a catapult with my elbow going through the sail.
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

copek wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:23 pm Hi all ... I've just bagged myself a wind foil setup to keep me entertained
What set up did you get?
Might help with advice to know if it’s high lift slow speed small sail like a big Slingshot or a faster slalom type foil for bigger sails. Bit of a generalisation.

1. You will only kick the foil once!! Waterstarts are easy enough if you remember not to kick the foil.
2. Wear reef shoes or boots!
3. Maybe leave the harness on the beach for the first couple of sessions.
4. First session try a nicely powered up force four day so you have wind to work with and use one size smaller sail than normal.

Have fun, wish I was back on Tiree, maybe September.
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by rod »

Farnorthsurfer wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:29 pm 4. First session try a nicely powered up force four day so you have wind to work with and use one size smaller sail than normal.
This!
copek

Post by copek »

BillG wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:27 pm When are you in Tiree copek? Hopefully when I'm there in August, you buying a foil will guaranty wind. :lol:

Might see you on the beach.
Ha! Will be there the first week of August so you might be in luck ... Packing a wave board too just in case. See you there.
Last edited by copek on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
copek

Post by copek »

Hi all ... Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I got a Naish Hover 122 with the Naish WS1 Foil - low aspect/beginner friendly and they should work well together. I got them 2nd hand so can use the foil and mast base positions that worked for the previous owner.
copek

Post by copek »

ronnie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:42 pm One thing to expect when the board first lifts up on the foil, is that it is likely to turn upwind (because we are used to having our feet more outboard while on the water), and my windsurfing natural reaction was to lean forward and try to blow the nose downwind - which is totally over-correcting and resulted in a catapult with my elbow going through the sail.
Oh shit! Bad luck ... Good to know, thanks. Also re the footstraps.
Westy
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Westy »

Hi copek, you are going to have a lot of fun learning! My tips would be;

1. Wear a helmet. Just getting the kit into deep enough water with the board upside down and the foil above you can lead to unintended contact, especially in choppy water.

2. Short harness lines (I use adjustables set to 26" although I use 30" lines for windsurfing) further forward than normal so that you don't over-sheet (easily done when the wind is light).

3. Very loose front foot straps and take the rear ones off to start with so you have the freedom to move the back foot and trim the foil. Ride with the front foot almost disengaged from the strap. As has already been pointed out, getting the front foot wedged and then having the board on the foil tip to windward is one of the nastiest situations. As you get more proficient with pumping you can engage the front foot for maximum purchase then once up on the foil you can retract the foot again.

4. As long as you always remember that there is a sharp thing under the back of your board then waterstarting is absolutely fine. Just take it slow and resist the urge to kick hard. When starting out if you can *just* waterstart then you are probably sailing in the right wind strength for your sail size. If waterstarting is easy then you will be overpowered on the foil.
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by ronnie »

copek wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:54 pm Hi all ... Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I got a Naish Hover 122 with the Naish WS1 Foil - low aspect/beginner friendly and they should work well together. I got them 2nd hand so can use the foil and mast base positions that worked for the previous owner.
One of our posters - Heli-boy 99
has done an excellent blog of starting with similar Naish equipment.
He does have a pretty good location for learning with a large area of relatively shallow water.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdgYDK ... 9Lg/videos