Tide, rocks and weed.

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Tide, rocks and weed.

Post by ronnie »

A couple of weeks ago I winged over to a flatter sand shallow area to use the canard foil on the 40cm mast. Someone in a house couldn't figure out what I was doing and called the Coastguard. I was about 600m away and wasn't aware there was one Coastguard car and 2 of their vans and a police car, and they had tried to get a boat launched - all because I was 600m away. They could see I was quite often walking in mid thigh depth water, because the canard is too far back to go upwind. Eventually I noticed them and winged over and walked upwind to them. We had a pleasant chat and they left.
I guess I'll have to figure out carrying a phone on a sunny day while wearing my contacts - and leave them my number.

The water was shallow enough for me to have waded straight back to them, but they didn't know that.
It seems wingfoilers learning get reported quite often.
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

The coast here (north east side of Anglesey) is notorious for people getting blown out to sea, mostly kids on inflatables. The coast guard are called routinely on sunny days in the summer but on a stormy day when the beach just has the odd dog walker and me out sailing its a risky spot.

Its the combination of off shore winds that accelerate massively once you are off the sheltered beaches and the wide tidal range that catches people out. Its one of 3 things i fear, equipment failure, wind picking up so much you cant sail or wind dropping out. I tend to sail fairly close in, where I'm just out enough to get clean wind and yet not to far to swim. If I add a foil to that calculation it gets more tricky.

I should add that Rhossy (30mins away) is my local spot, that has more slope so less tide but more rocks. It also has monster chop / waves. When i think of foiling its on the flat north side as pictured that i think i might give it a go.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

BTB wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:33 pm The coast here (north east side of Anglesey) is notorious for people getting blown out to sea, mostly kids on inflatables. The coast guard are called routinely on sunny days in the summer but on a stormy day when the beach just has the odd dog walker and me out sailing its a risky spot.

Its the combination of off shore winds that accelerate massively once you are off the sheltered beaches and the wide tidal range that catches people out. Its one of 3 things i fear, equipment failure, wind picking up so much you cant sail or wind dropping out. I tend to sail fairly close in, where I'm just out enough to get clean wind and yet not to far to swim. If I add a foil to that calculation it gets more tricky.

I should add that Rhossy (30mins away) is my local spot, that has more slope so less tide but more rocks. It also has monster chop / waves. When i think of foiling its on the flat north side as pictured that i think i might give it a go.
I had a look, and a place I would check out is due East of Holyhead. There is a road to the beach - though the Google car stopped just before getting to the beach. There are some photos of the beach on Google Earth (maybe need to activate street view?)
This is the best photo, and the area that might work for foiling is starting just South of the road and in a Southerly direction along the beach.
You can see where the high tide mark is - from the seaweed.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1 ... j1aD=h1440
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by BTB »

ronnie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm I had a look, and a place I would check out is due East of Holyhead. There is a road to the beach - though the Google car stopped just before getting to the beach. There are some photos of the beach on Google Earth (maybe need to activate street view?)
This is the best photo, and the area that might work for foiling is starting just South of the road and in a Southerly direction along the beach.
That spot is Penrhos - there are a few launch spots (one below). You can sail there but it has to be an hour either side of high tide - its a big muddy estuary / not ideal for walking once the tide goes out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2936031 ... 312!8i6656
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

BTB wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm
ronnie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm I had a look, and a place I would check out is due East of Holyhead. There is a road to the beach - though the Google car stopped just before getting to the beach. There are some photos of the beach on Google Earth (maybe need to activate street view?)
That spot is Penrhos - there are a few launch spots (one below). You can sail there but it has to be an hour either side of high tide - its a big muddy estuary / not ideal for walking once the tide goes out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2936031 ... 312!8i6656
The photo is from across the bay 2 kilometers to the NE from Penrhos, and is a west facing 'beach' with a single track road to it's North end and no parking spaces. Zero glamour, but might work well for foiling.
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

Nairn also has big tides and a large sandy beach with sand bars and strong tidal outflows. Sunday it took me longer to walk out to water deep enough for a 90cm than I did for my windsurfing mate to do two long reaches.
But the difference in our GPS tracks is huge. The wing takes me upwind downwind and swell riding while his trad short board hammers in and out on pretty much parallel lines. He wasn’t able to get any swell riding due to to the swell/wind direction.
The big issue for both of us is creel lines which snake on the surface at low tide. Nightmare situation is a creel line wrapped round the foil and a wing in hand to control while your trying to get it untangled. Also the F’in creel lines are right where the best swells are as they are dropped on top of the reefs!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Another factor I am now having to consider is very light wind and how that is prone to change.
I mentioned in another post that if the wind drops from 7mph to 5mph, the power of the wind is halved. So the lower the wind goes, the bigger a 1mph difference is.

The other thing I have found is that very light winds in the UK can often change direction quickly.

My Unit wing will fly in about 8mph of wind, so I arrived at a spot expecting about 6mph NW wind and to paddle to find a steady 8mph SE side-shore so I set up to wingfoil to get some practice using a harness with the wing. There wasn't enough to foil.
By the time I had set up, the wind was 8 to 10mph NE direct offshore.
So I went paddling.
rod
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by rod »

I winged Newgale on Thursday and Friday for the first time in cross off winds. It's a long walk to the water but compared to wind foiing its a lot easier to get down the water and through the waves (small). I can easily carry everything in one go. My wing kit now has me flying in less wind than I could wind foil in so the wind really has to completely disappear before I'm paddling.
All in all a lot more practical (and fun) than wind foiling.