Boom height question, err kneeling vs standing

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
skatesurf
Been liked: 1 time

Boom height question, err kneeling vs standing

Post by skatesurf »

Had my first on water experience today. I have a question about what I experienced today.

Will setting up the boom height, at shoulder level, for standing up, but trying to control, without changing the boom height, from a kneeling position cause you to not to be able to 'control' the board, err not be able to do much but go downwind, nothing much cross wind or even back at a 45 degree angle to the wind?

Very weird difference today between kneeling and standing. I knew to kneel at the beginning and I'm glad I listened to myself. I couldn't do much of anything but go downwind. After swimming back up and standing up I had no trouble keeping myself above the launch point, other than the lack of wind at times. The only thing I can guess is it was because I didn't drop the boom height while I was kneeling and it may have had some 'tilt', I think tilt is the right word and not angle, ramifications which caused me to have no control. After standing I had no problems with the control at all and I could go cross wind and had no trouble even with working my way upwind. Nothing else changed except kneeling to standing.

I must say, I think strangely, I do prefer jib to tack by a long shot. I wouldn't even try tacking after three hours or so on the water but I was getting fairly comfortable with jib. Something about going in front of the mast doesn't feel right, err disaster in the making. swinging around behind the mast seems very normal:)
BTB
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: Boom height question, err kneeling vs standing

Post by BTB »

I've never kneeled and windsurfed. I thought you were talking wingfoil but mention of mast and boom suggests windsurfing?

When learning windsurfing a lowish boom is better than a high one. But shoulder height so it encourages you to stand tall once you are moving.A common beginner problem is having a poor stance bent at the waist. You should be staying low as you uphaul and get goig but once moving the board becomes more stable and should stand taller with straight arms with some distance between your head and the sail. If your back is bent over forwards its not right.

This video from 10mins onwards:

skatesurf
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Boom height question, err kneeling vs standing

Post by skatesurf »

Yes, I'm referring to windsurfing. I knew kneeling at the time was quite appropriate for me. I had been used to windskating and needed to get use to the feel of water so I decided to play it easy and start on the knees and learn the motion/feel of water first. I'm very glad I played it that way, it definitely kept the frustration level down, other the frustration of not having better direction control while on my knees Total night and day comparison between the two scenarios.

Thinking back to it I know I did not have the board, err feet control when on the knees. I was shocked while still on water at how much I was using the feet for fine, and heck even bigger, direction control fairly quickly after moving to standing. Given how much I didn't want to trust myself/balance in the beginning to using the feet for steering by the end of the first day was quite unexpected. Only once, one day, back in 1996, have I ever did any snowboarding, never did any surfing and haven't been on a skateboard, other than the windskating over the past month or so, since I was a kid 35+ years ago. The windskating helped big time to get me to thinking about using the feet for fine steering. Granted for windskating most of the steering does come from the feet.

Windskating does make it easier to learn, both handling the mast and using the feet to help with fine steering. It comes in nice and handy as well while waiting on the water temps to warm up:)

I do wish