Learning to waterstart

If you're new and think your question may be silly, ask it in here for kind and helpful responses.
ronnie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 41 times

Re: Learning to waterstart

Post by ronnie » Fri May 31, 2019 12:37 pm

A new type of waterstart. He says he needs 14 knots of wind to waterstart it with a 4.6m sail. Its 127cm long and 45 litres.

From the learning to waterstart point of view, the low volume does help get you up vertical over the board, then if you get forward speed the foil is doing almost all the lifting. That is why lower volume windsurf boards (within reason) tend to make learning to waterstart easier.

You need to click right from the picture to go to the video.

Radialhead
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Radialhead » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Never seen anyone use a boom that low before.
"DICTIONARIES have admitted defeat and announced that from now on ‘lose’ will be spelt ‘loose’.

The move follows the apparent inability of the entire English-speaking world to spell a simple four-letter word correctly" - The Daily Mash

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by Arf » Fri May 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Lostboy wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 am
Arf wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 am
Jamesblonde wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 pm
My wife has little interest in gybing and when she wants to turn around she will unhook, slow and then place the sail down wind, she then hops in quickly and then pulls the sail clear of the water. If it needs she will shove the tail of the board under the sail to lift the sail.
Yeah I still do that too sometimes - especially if it’s hell windy and there are cliffs downwind. I have trust issues with myself when it comes to gybing under duress.
The Fielding is probably the most kit-saving skill I have in the tank!
I'm struggling a bit with this concept. The number of processes you need to go through to waterstart is significantly more than making a gybe and the lack of control that you'd have with that process compared with a simple switch feet and flip sail makes it so much more sensible to just.....gybe! This is made even worse by having gone through part of a turn, let's call it a gybe shall we, and then chucking yourself in to start again. Bizarre.
It’s all location dependent really. At most spots, gybe every time. At St Margaret’s bay I do the fielding a lot.. because the wind is light close the beach but always crazy windy 50m off the beach when we sail there. There’s 4 miles of white cliffs downwind from where we sail, so no beach to come in on for a long way if you lose your gear. I’m a lightweight and am usually struggling with a 3.3 there (we only sail there in those conditions) and stand a 80%+ chance of not being able to sheet in if I gybe there, in which case I fly out the front and my kit gets blown downwind. I rather do a fielding under my those circumstances.. you can criticise but ultimately i’m saving the RNLI a trip out and getting myself another wave within minutes rather than having a life endangering swim. St Margs is an unusual spot though, it’s scary and unforgiving and I sail it in a way I live to sail it another day. It’s the only spot I do this at, but nevertheless I can understand why people do fieldings at less gnarly places as I understand why I do fieldings at certain spots. Sometimes you just need to turn around and not lose ground, when you know that the conditions and gybing ability in those conditions mean you are going to superman your gybe.