Old Windsurfing board value?

If you're new and think your question may be silly, ask it in here for kind and helpful responses.
BGPR123

Old Windsurfing board value?

Post by BGPR123 »

Good morning guys, a little information required please. My son started an art project on a surfboard when he was at school, intending to give it a respray, no problem there as I used to respray my pushbike each year, cheaper than purchasing a new one. However, the 'project' has now been behind the garden shed for over 5 years and we have been informed that "it can be taken to the tip"!
Before this happens I may try and put it on Ebay, or even this forum, if allowed, but what I', trying to find out is being left outside, in all weathers, likely to have 'damaged' it, or reduced it's use in anyway?
Cheers for your help.

Brian
Attachments
Board7A.jpg
Board3A.jpg
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Old Windsurfing board value?

Post by James.blonde »

Unless Banksy did the art work, I'd say its a one way trip to the tip. :D
BGPR123

Post by BGPR123 »

🤣🤣Very subtle! Cheers
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

There is loads of interest in 'old school' windsurfing on facebook. But i don't see it translating to actual sailing of old school gear. The reality is that its quite difficult to windsurf to a reasonable level and if you are going to invest a lot of time and effort into it you are not going to do it on stuff from behind the shed.

I personally have a few boards behind the shed. I sometimes think maybe i should take that out again - and then common sense takes over and i think why would i take that old lump to the beach when i have better gear. If you have no new gear and want to give it a go again, go for it but you will want to get newer stuff as its so much better.

As for the condition / impact of something being left out. Its going to deteriorate but it depends on what it is. I had an old surfbord that deformed in shape after being left out - i think the heating and cooling shrunk it in a weird way. Windsurfboards - if 100% watertight would be ok, if air and water has got in the foam goes soft and they delam over time. Footstraps would be mangy and full of spiders, slugs and snails at best (i have experience of this).
FKPhil
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by FKPhil »

I guess I fall into the “interest in old boards” category as I like sailing my old boards, mainly because they are more robust and can stand the rocky beach abuse I give them.
But even I steer clear of the really old boards with the pointy noses. Damage there is bound to happen sooner or later.

Put it back behind the shed. After a few more years it won’t be visible underneath all the used Christmas trees.
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

I guess there is different types of old gear - i'd quite like an old long race board for touring around in light wind. I wouldnt mind a go on a super wide formula era board as i have never tied one. But old pointy nose short boards not so much.
BGPR123

Post by BGPR123 »

👍🤣That'll do me, it's could be a tip run at the weekend. Cheers all