New electric van

All vehicle related talk in here please.
DavidA
Been liked: 25 times

Re: New electric van

Post by DavidA »

"noise pollution" I laughed when I read that Coventry City Council wants EVs to make a noise to make them safer for pedestrians! Maybe a man with a red flag would be better it will provide employment.
Hazzabee
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Hazzabee »

1 year on - have there been any developments in the electric van market? Which of the current models would work as windsurfingmobiles? Asking for a friend :roll:
K-215
Been liked: 9 times

Post by K-215 »

Without question, it has to happen for the sake of the environment.
No road tax? Rest assured that will be back by 2030 as the boy Rishi continues punishing us for his Covid borrowing.
Supplemented of course by next weeks new tax on using a road.
I am hopeful that my very modest (small) van will last until 2030 plus the few years after that when we are allowed to let them die gracefully.
Then I will get a Morris 1000 Traveller and pay no road tax.
But will I be able to find the petrol ?? :lol: :lol:
PS
I know, I know. By 2035 the Traveller will be £38,000 which will be more than a small Tesla van..Damn :lol:
BillG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by BillG »

Hazzabee wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm 1 year on - have there been any developments in the electric van market? Which of the current models would work as windsurfingmobiles? Asking for a friend :roll:

Code: Select all

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2020/citroen-e-dispatch-electric-van/
My diesel Dispatch is a brilliant van, great to drive and economical. It's my shed on wheels, all my kit lives in it - longest board 255 (to the removable bulkhead which I left in).
They reckon over 200 miles is possible (?!?).
If I lived nearer the sea or if I ever move to Tiree I want one.
TwoFish
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by TwoFish »

K-215 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:50 am Without question, it has to happen for the sake of the environment.
Yes, burning fossil fuels has to decline and electric vehicles are probably a big piece of the change that's needed to bring that about. That doesn't mean the current EV model of a big box full of laptop batteries is the way to go though. The better answer may be fuel cells, or better battery technology. It's possible hydrogen combustion engines may have a role. I don't know; I'm not a scientist. The current generation of EVs may be well suited to the school and supermarket run (for those who can't or can't be arsed to walk or cycle), but I'll take a lot of convincing that they're anywhere near suitable for windsurfing road trips. Exciting times in terms of technological development though. I will continue to watch with interest whilst getting as many years as possible out of my existing diesel and it's extortionately priced (by known criminals) new DPF.
DavidA
Been liked: 25 times

Post by DavidA »

Having just ordered a new van it doesn't seem much has changed. The VW Transporter eVan has a range of 81 miles which is probably exaggerated so not really any use except if you live next to the beach. I was frustrated because that range is fine for my daily use but if I want to dash off to Gwithian or go on the road trip to Ireland/Tiree its really not any use. A hybrid would have worked but they don't make one. It is pretty unlikely that the commercial vehicle sector can be solved with batteries with the current technology.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

TwoFish wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:10 pm
K-215 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:50 am Without question, it has to happen for the sake of the environment.
Yes, burning fossil fuels has to decline and electric vehicles are probably a big piece of the change that's needed to bring that about. That doesn't mean the current EV model of a big box full of laptop batteries is the way to go though. The better answer may be fuel cells, or better battery technology. It's possible hydrogen combustion engines may have a role. I don't know; I'm not a scientist. The current generation of EVs may be well suited to the school and supermarket run (for those who can't or can't be arsed to walk or cycle), but I'll take a lot of convincing that they're anywhere near suitable for windsurfing road trips. Exciting times in terms of technological development though. I will continue to watch with interest whilst getting as many years as possible out of my existing diesel and it's extortionately priced (by known criminals) new DPF.
I think they are already there for road trips, but the infrastructure is not, With cars like the Kona able to do 260 miles on a charge we are close only if locations have chargers. While I can do 120miles per bladder, I tend to want to splash and dash. If a fast charger can add 100miles in 20mins, which is available now, then all is good. However, there are so many different companies and therefore charging memberships that charging can be problematic. You turn up at a charger then have to spend 20mins trying to pay. If you have a Tesla you just drive up and plug in, the systems deal with any payment due.

Van wise there are not too many options at the moment. Having said that a company near me has been commissioned by UPS to supply 10,000 EV vans for them. Companies like UpS budget to every penny and have stated that the savings in fuel and maintenance will save them over £4m a year.

Things are changing very rapidly. In China, EVs have become the poor mans car in some cities. You can buy a brand new city EV there for £3k, that’s less than the price of a wheelchair here. It is really hard in some Chinese cities to get a number plate but EVs quality for a green plate hence them being the choice for most people.

In the not too distant, Toyota have said they have a new battery tech that can charge up to three times faster and with up to four times the energy density of current cells. That means we will see cars with either ranges of 600 miles, or with the same range but much lighter and faster charging.

It is all good as far as I can see.
TwoFish
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by TwoFish »

Distinctly Average wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:40 pm a company near me has been commissioned by UPS to supply 10,000 EV vans for them. Companies like UpS budget to every penny and have stated that the savings in fuel and maintenance will save them over £4m a year.
I can see why that makes sense. Presumably a typical UPS day involves travel round a relatively small urban / suburban / industrial area, with literally hundreds of stops. That's about as unsuited to a modern diesel as could be, whereas it presumably suits EVs very well, especially with their vans then conveniently laid up at the depot overnight for recharging when electicity is at its cheapest. It's very different from a road trip to Cornwall / Tiree / west coast of Ireland or wherever.
BillG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by BillG »

I was listening to a bit on the wireless about hydrogen fuel cells which then charge the battery to power the car. They can do 200 miles and refill in no time. Might be the way forward once they it sorted.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

BillG wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 pm I was listening to a bit on the wireless about hydrogen fuel cells which then charge the battery to power the car. They can do 200 miles and refill in no time. Might be the way forward once they it sorted.
Hydrogen is more suited to large vehicles, like lorries and ships. There are now steel plants powered by hydrogen instead of coal. The main problem with hydrogen is that it is currently mainly coming from the refining of crude. Other methods to produce hydrogen we currently employ are very inefficient. So while it may sound good in theory, there are still lots of hurdles to overcome