Van speed limits

All vehicle related talk in here please.
BillG
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 100 times

Van speed limits

Post by BillG » Tue May 26, 2020 11:06 am

Over the past 40 years I've had 3 VW Transporters and now a Citroen Dispatch (with a brief interlude using a Berlingo). I've just discovered that vans have different speed limits to cars or car derived vans: 50mph on single carriageways (cars 60) & 60mph on dual carriageways (cars 70).

I wondered if other van owners are aware of this?

(I may have broken the speed limit on the way to Hayling for 35 years!)

WetSoot
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Van speed limits

Post by WetSoot » Tue May 26, 2020 11:38 am

Yep, but convert to a camper, and then standard car speed limits apply again, instead of van speed limits.

To get a van registered as a camper you need to demonstrate that it has a bed, cooking facility, and a table from memory, but don't hold me to that!.. i'm sure Google will answer all.

With that info, its a simple form to DVLC and the V5 is updated in a few days.

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Tue May 26, 2020 12:09 pm

WetSoot wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:38 am
With that info, its a simple form to DVLC and the V5 is updated in a few days.
There have been a lot of recent reports that's no longer so. There's a lot of noise about this on vanish corners of social media, which to be fair are often full of utter bullshit and contradictory 'man in a pub said' opinion, but there does seem to be some likelihood things have changed:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motor ... ls-by-dvla

Normal car limits also apply to 'dual purpose vehicle' vans: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

James.blonde
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Tue May 26, 2020 12:50 pm

After 35 years with no tickets I think i would carry on as you are. Converting to a camper and all the rigmarole of that and higher insurance I'd think I'd take the fines.
I've driven vans for just as long and also never got a ticket despite having a lead right foot. My best average speed on a trip from Sussex to Gwithian was 63mph.
I'd also heard pub rumours that intelligent speed cameras check number plates to categorise the vehicle to check its speed limit.

WetSoot

Post by WetSoot » Tue May 26, 2020 2:29 pm

I changed the V5 status of mine in Feb 2019, so just over a year ago, and it was a completely painless exercise that took a few mins.... new V5 back in under a week.

All I sent was the form, and a few pics to evidence the conversion... along with, IIRC, a habitation cert from the company that did the conversion, and which I believe you can get from a fair few places now.

So, unless its changed in the last 14 months or so, or I was incredibly lucky, its bullshit!

Reading your link, suggest otherwise, but I'm guessing there's more to the story!

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Tue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm

WetSoot wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:29 pm
So, unless its changed in the last 14 months or so . . .
That's exactly what is being reported as having happened. There's a lot of noise about it on van and camper groups on Facebook. Reported statistics on a huge increase in the number of refusals seem to bear out those reports.

WetSoot

Post by WetSoot » Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Thats a shame if that's the case.... seems a bit petty to me... but there again, nothing surprise me anymore.... :roll:

BillG
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by BillG » Tue May 26, 2020 4:28 pm

My van is a 'van' and not a camper so I'll just be careful. I get the best mpg at about 62 in 6th anyway so it'll save me money!