Ford Transit Custom for Windsurfing

All vehicle related talk in here please.
jamz
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Ford Transit Custom for Windsurfing

Post by jamz » Sat May 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Starting to think about changing my current T5 for a new van and interested in the Transit Custom (Double Cab). Would be interested to hear if anyones using one for windsurfing? And how you have got on with it? I have loved owning my T5 and it has never let me down in the 6 years I have owned it. However, looking at prices. It seems that I can get more van for my money with a Custom compared to a T6 Highline and have cash left over for a new board. The issue with the custom is whether the double cab seats fold down? If a board can fit under the seats as I can do in my T5 (it has the 2+1 seats). And if the bulk head can be removed?

Max
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Ford Transit Custom for Windsurfing

Post by Max » Tue May 21, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi
i'm interested why you want to get rid of the T5
or are you just ready for a change I've been looking for a T5 not sure with the mileage i need to do 110 mile round trip commute it will be practical
i need to be able to cart kids round in anything i buy so would be looking at a combi at the very least but christ they are expensive !

jamz
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by jamz » Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Exactly. Had my T5 for 6 years and want a van that's more comfortable for driving on the motorway (my T5 is the 104, 5 gears). The custom has had some good right ups against the T6 and Vito so just interested if any other windsurfers have used them as like you said T5 / T6s are freakin' expensive!

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Arf » Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 pm

I got a Hyundai i800 any couldn’t be more happy, similar space to the usual options at a bit more than half the price.
Paid 7K for a 2012 with 70k on it. If I paid that for a T5 or a Custom, they would have to have been quite well hammered. It drives amazingly and is really quiet inside at speed, i’m well impressed!

Max
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Max » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Arf

What gearbox has it got auto or manual ?
And what mpg are you getting rhe kia sedona i drive is crap

I need to get another motor as the kia has been in the garage for 2 weeks and its slowly dying

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Arf » Wed May 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Max,
It's a 6 speed manual, the most economical option. They do come in auto too.
Mines the 170PS so more powerful than the more common 135PS engine.
I get between 26 and 30mpg. I got 29 mpg going to Cardiff and back to Kent with 6 big fellas in it the other week, 80mpg all the way.
The 135PS engine people quote 30 to 35 mpg.

socialsailor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by socialsailor » Wed May 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Does Fiat sell the equivalent of the Chrysler Pacifica in the UK? I find that a very comfortable family minivan that can carry wife, 2 kids plus 2 boards and gear, or without kids it swallows 5 boards plus gear. All without interfering with line of sight out side or back windows. Same price range as the Kia Sedona here in the USA but when test driving I thought the Chrysler was a nicer vehicle. Plus it is relatively fuel efficient within the minivan category (in real world driving I get 26-28 mpg vs 19-21 mpg that I used to get in my previous minivan - a Honda Odyssey)

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 pm

I take onboard the point of VW being expensive, there is the fact that when you come to sell it will still have much better residual value. Got my t5 10 years ago for 7900 and still worth in region of 4k. Buy a transit and drive for 10 years and the scrappy will give you £200 :lol:
I get 35mpg on a run to Cornwall and I take the express route.
I bought newer 15 plate t5 last year and sold after 3months as the dpf and erg valves for clean running were causing havoc for the day to day local driving I do. The brochures say buy the petrol version which does 23mpg around town :o . They have since stopped making the petrol t5.
If I were to buy another van I would hunt out a lower mileage 130/170bhp t5 from 2005 to 2008,