Clean air zones

All vehicle related talk in here please.
DavidA
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Clean air zones

Post by DavidA »

Thanks Distinctly that is an interesting video. I guess following Smidges comments about energy use at low speed stop/start which is almost completely the opposite to the mpg for a van I can see how they have achieved it.
I guess the problem we have is yes I don't do many miles to and from the beach it is only 1 mile away but if I want to go on a road trip i can as I won't have to stop for a long time, in fact probably would need the loo before refuelling. However even the shortish road trips for us to say Daymer would not be possible on a full charge which is annoying. Be ok if Daymer Bay car park had a charger so you could recharge whilst sailing.
It is a real dilemma as I would like an electric van but just doesn't seem practical yet. We have got so used to being able to jump in the car and go wherever we like without really thinking about the distance.
I am sure they will get there in the end.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

I agree on the van front. The nearest is the Citroen Dispatch EV with a range of 200miles. I know a chap who got on and this winter he was doing 180 on a charge so not too far off stated. There are a couple of startups with vans coming online this year with a supposed 400mile range. It will be interesting to see if this will happen or not.

Either way we are in for a big change. Cities and big towns are going to add more restrictions and charges over the next few years so it is going to be harder to own any ICE vehicles. A mate converted his Ferrari 308 to EV and loves it, but that set him back a lot of money to convert. It will probably be the only way classic cars will be allowed on the rear in a few years, that has already happened in some European cities.
DavidA
Been liked: 27 times

Post by DavidA »

I am not that keen on hybrids which quite a lot of the vans are so I think I might wait a while until taking the plunge to full electric van. The family car will probably be first to go full electric. With the new start ups in the mix it is going to be an interesting market in the van world.