El Medano

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
MartinJ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

El Medano

Post by MartinJ » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:01 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had a few days in El Medano on Tenerife and thought it would be worth a quick report. I’ve often wondered about a quick visit there. It has a lot of advantages: wind and sun, shortish flight, quick transfer from the airport, no need to hire a car, and plentiful board hire.

So I flew out with EasyJet, stayed at the Hotel Playa Sur Tenerife and rented kit from TWS.

The first day was marginal so 120 FireMove and 7.3 - OK for a first day. It was a different story on day two, 92 Grip and 3.6. It felt like quite a challenge as I haven’t windsurfed since November but after the wind eased I changed up to an Ezzy 4.2 which worked very well. I’ve never sailed an Ezzy before and I liked it.

On day three the forecast wasn’t so good in the morning so I climbed up Montana Roja and then walked on to the lovely beach at Tejitas - brilliant swimming.

Otherwise I didn’t stray far. I enjoyed the hotel, both it’s position and quirky design. I hadn’t realised it was designed by César Manrique. But the evening buffet is best avoided. TWS was good - all excellent kit. I was a regular at Cafe Flashpoint, great viewpoint and excellent cafe solo. I also ate at Familiar, a very good fish restaurant, .

El Medano is nice because it isn't too touristy, it's a proper town and the windsurfing setup there is very good. Altogether a great trip.

07E9C5FB-C032-4F55-A20A-4108F957AB90.jpeg

Hazzabee
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: El Medano

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm

How was the wind in south bay on the inside? It seems to get more and more gusty every time I visit.

MartinJ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by MartinJ » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:28 pm

It was gusty in the beach break, always a lull just when you didn’t need need it, and the wind was a bit more onshore there. But other than that it didn’t seem to bad.

maker
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by maker » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 pm

I've been to El Medano loads over the last 30 years. It has grown hugely, with loads more restaurants and cafes but retained is friendly, small village feel. Like earier poster I think it has got more gusty, maybe from the increased buildings, and waves have decreased maybe from large harbour extending out up the coast. Still a lovely place with good sailing. Pros on the beech are friendly and pass on tips.

Westy
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Westy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

I was there start of Feb staying in the 'wind blocker' at the north end of El Cabezo. There's a brand new Severne hire centre there ran by Luke Baillie and it come very highly recommended by me. He's a super nice guy and offers great advice and also helps caddy your gear to the beach. The gear is all brand new, blue masts, Enigma booms, S-1s, Blades, Dynos, Nanos etc. Other than the actual wind shadow from the hotel the sailing is excellent with clean wind as soon as you are clear. I stayed well upwind from the break as I'm not that good but it's still a really fun place to sail and much less crowded on the water. Check out https://www.surfhubtenerife.com/

maker

Post by maker » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:59 am

Westy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am
I was there start of Feb staying in the 'wind blocker' at the north end of El Cabezo. There's a brand new Severne hire centre there ran by Luke Baillie and it come very highly recommended by me. He's a super nice guy and offers great advice and also helps caddy your gear to the beach. The gear is all brand new, blue masts, Enigma booms, S-1s, Blades, Dynos, Nanos etc. Other than the actual wind shadow from the hotel the sailing is excellent with clean wind as soon as you are clear. I stayed well upwind from the break as I'm not that good but it's still a really fun place to sail and much less crowded on the water. Check out https://www.surfhubtenerife.com/
Is the surfhub in the actual hotel building? There used to be one in the basement years ago, a bit unclear on the photos but looks like that. How big is the wind shadow. Do you need a floaty board to get out? I am thinking if you had a +10l waveboard and sailing small for Cabezo could you get in and out? Met Luke several times, nice guy and good coach.

Westy

Post by Westy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 am

Is the surfhub in the actual hotel building?
No, there are a couple of business units just 50m down the road so you walk kit over the road and across the sandy beach by the hotel. I didn't find launching a problem, especially on lower tides as you can walk a fair bit downwind round the bay to get clear. It is a bit on/off but 50m of that and you are away. A slightly larger board is going to help of course. Don't let this put you off. South Bay is a far more awkward launch I find as there always seems to be someone in your way and the wind never really gets right in to the beach.

southsea
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by southsea » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I’m heading ,or was heading , out to Medano next Sat. I’m guessing the town and rental centres are in lockdown but does anyone know the definite current status - thx

maker

Post by maker » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:05 pm

A friend staying there said only allowed to leave apartment for a food shop or emergency. Everywhere else closed. Last at least 2 weeks.

Westy

Post by Westy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:33 am

I’m heading ,or was heading , out to Medano next Sat. I’m guessing the town and rental centres are in lockdown but does anyone know the definite current status - thx
I saw that TWS posted on FB to say they are now closed.