Family Holiday parks in France

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
abitwindy
Been liked: 4 times

Family Holiday parks in France

Post by abitwindy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a good family holiday park in France near a beach (with small surf would be perfect)?
We are going to drive so the least distance the better, not wanting to camp so static lodge would be great.

Any info or recommendations would be much appreciated.

BTB
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Family Holiday parks in France

Post by BTB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am

I can't recomend a park but we always head to the coast around Quimper, about 2 hours south of Roscoff. If you head straight west you get to the bay d'audiene (a huge beach) with la Torche at the south end. It's very exposed to westerly swell but in summer it is usually fairly tame. The coast to the south around Benodet is more touristy and you will find big family friendly parks there and sheltered beaches.

The whole area is fantastic. Quimper is well worth a day out and many of the little towns and villages are also nice. Ploenur Lanvern is the village we tend to aim for and there is beach access there where it is very quiet.

DaveMac
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by DaveMac » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Stating the obvious but it is all about the weather. And the age of the children. Brittany is good for younger children, and the south coast of Brittany gets better weather than the north. And the further west you go the more vulnerable you are to periods of wet weather. We went near Trinitie sur mer for three years at least, but had the wettest holiday further west south of Pont Aven, and that was not as far west as Benodet. I would have liked to get there but my wife wanted better weather and we had our best summer holidays on Lake Sanguinet, south of Bordeaux. Serious dumping surf on the beach not easy for young swimmers. But if you get the weather I reckon Brittany is perfect. Don't underestimate any drive in Brittany. After a ferry crossing it can still seem like a days travel to get to your site, often the overnight ferry works well setting you up in vaguely the right place. But as for specific recommendations I would be out of date, every time we went back to a site more camping pitches get converted to static lodges, which works for you. We used to use the Alan Rogers guide which may still be useful on the web. Eurocamp might also give you pointers. But Brittany is holiday heaven and the choice is immense. S*d it....just google earthed it....Camping du Letty (next to Benodet) is the place I always wanted to stay at, but I lost that battle. That would be my recommendation. Domaine de la Rive is where we stayed several times much further south, towing a Wayfarer loaded with camping kit and a windsurfer on the roof........Good luck

DaveMac
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by DaveMac » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Getting this thread back to the top.... our campsite was Camping de la plage, nr Trinitie sur mer. Google earth shows it has filled up with statics instead of tents. It was a nice location with fresh croissants etc collected from a bakery on the beach. We were able to keep our boat rigged at the top of the beach fully rigged, very gentle waves. Nice spot for younger kids, bucket and spade stuff.

abitwindy
Been liked: 4 times

Post by abitwindy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info , Ill take a look into the mentioned areas.

We have young kids , 1,5 and 7 year olds so out door pools , play parks and evening entertainment would be good.
I would probably just take my sup and look to go some surfing in and the older kids are happy body boarding etc.

Cheers

Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Lostboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Can't recommend a park because we've stayed in a variety of gites or on boats but as a few people have said the Southern Brittany coast takes some beating. As has already been suggested the whole Quiberon bay/Gulf of Morbihan area is stunning. Some epic surf around the Quiberon peninsular itself and fabulous beaches and sailing around Carnac and others. L'Orient and Vannes are just up the road as decent sized towns and the medieval port town of Concarneau is a little further up and a great place to visit.

Last time we were there we stayed here https://gitesdekermoel.jimdo.com/, it was a while ago and looking at how the website is now it may have changed ownership but it was a great set up in a nice little village.