Maui?

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
northy
Been liked: 6 times

Maui?

Post by northy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Anyone been to Maui with famil / kids?
What time of year works best as an allround time to go ie wind, waves, snorkelling, whales, turtles etc

Is it any good in late August, or end of october (thinking around our school hols and other commitments)

Caveat - might be a pipedream...

Cheers
Northy

Hazzabee
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Maui?

Post by Hazzabee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Both August and October are outside humpback whale season (winter) if that is important.

August would be most likely windy but flat. October I think offers a better chance of the right wind/wave mix.

Have you taken out a second mortgage already???

MartinJ
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by MartinJ » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:12 am

We’ve just got back from two weeks in Maui and are still struggling with the eleven hours jet lag, but it was great trip with wonderful weather. Maui far exceeded my expectations.

I never expected to go. I thought it was too far to be worth it for a very average windsurfer like me, but friends invited us to the wedding anniversary celebrations of their ex-pro windsurfer son, now settled on Maui, and that was irresistible.

The end of March isn’t the best time for wind but there were five days of reasonable conditions when we first arrived - after that nothing. I had low expectations so felt that was OK. I sailed at Kanaha Beach Park which was good for me. It was gusty and choppy but the combination of an easy launch, sheltered lagoon, significant waves on the reef with a route through to the open sea was unbeatable. I found it challenging at times particularly while getting used to hired kit, but it ranks as one of the best places I’ve sailed. Compared with what we’re used to in the UK it was luxury; beautiful location, warm winds, shade under the trees, showers, toilets, easy parking, not to mention friendly helpful locals (mainly of a certain age!).

We stayed at Maalaea on the south side of Maui, about 25 minutes drive from Kahulu and Kanaha. We were lucky to find an AirBnB apartment right on the beach at a reasonable price. We had direct access to the sea with excellent swimming and snorkelling and could watch turtles in the shore break and whales out to sea,

Maui has such a varied landscape. On our very first day we drove up above the clouds to the top of the 10,000 feet Haleakala. I liked the surprisingly countrified feel of Makawao above Paia and the ever present chickens. Paia itself seems stuck in an interestingly hippyish time-warp. The road to Hana was certainly long and winding, I preferred the west Maui drive to the Nakalele blowhole.

We even took a day trip to Oahu to go snorkelling with sharks at http://www.oneoceandiving.com/. Quite an experience.

It is a long way. Eleven hours to Los Angeles and then another six to Maui. Thanks to the weakness of the pound the prices are shocking. $12 for a glass of wine anyone? Expect to pay as much as double our prices for a supermarket shop.

Despite that Maui was wonderful. I’d recommend it.

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:05 pm

I've been in August and as has been mentioned it was very windy and flat (on the North shore). Not a bad time to go with family though as you shouldn't get rain and you can sail hookipa to tick it off your bucket list without risk of drowning! There are some great mellow waves on the south coast between maalea and Lahaina, its always offshore and glassy and some of them are not too crowded + August is prime south swell season so you could get some great surfing in. Kehei sometimes gets wavesailing in S swells but I've not seen it so not sure how often.

At that time of year I think the dream holiday for me would be Mauritius not maui. If you like your waves you really want to be in Maui October to April - it is a different place when the N swell's arrive. Trouble with that is the wind is less consistent so you might get skunked completely on a short trip - I did :(.

northy

Post by northy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 pm

need to work around school holidays and now entering 4 yrs of gcse and a levels with eldest 2 - so that realistically means either summer or go alone or wait. October half term would maybe be poss but its the Aloha classic...even busier than normal!

northy

Post by northy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Mauritius is a good call also - but also pretty expensive if (like us, a family of 5) a hotel means 2 rather than 1 room
i did some quick maths looking at flights and Booking.com and 10 days mauritius in hotel would be about £9k for flights and accom...2 weeks in maui about £12k....Baja on my own about £3.5k!!!

rod
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by rod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Northy can't you go in the Easter holidays. I didn't like it much too many horrible trustifarians wafting around thinking they were saving the planet by drinking filtered tap water.
It's mostly a place to go to show off, I much prefer cold UK waves.

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 am

Ha, ha - I know where Rod is coming from. It's not very high on my list to go back to if I am honest - certainly not given the expense and travel time involved. There are a lot of places I prefer that are less expensive and closer. Conditions are not as consistent as you might think either - hookipa is often the only place with a wave which means its insanely crowded with very good sailors. Its very hard to get a wave. In winter there are other options which I guess would thin the crowds, but I don't know for sure because whenever I've been there in wave season (twice) there has been no wind! My enduring memories of Maui are of surfing, not windsurfing.

Having said that I think its worth at least one trip in your life, for me watching 10' Honolua bay from the cliffs with surfers sometimes getting 3 barrels per wave was almost worth the trip by itself!

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 am

I went 15 years ago, OMG.
We went in April after Easter I think, got a sailing 50% of the time but not classic. Wife was learning beach starts at the time, we stayed in a hut at the bottom of someone garden overlooking,ing Paia beach.
Proposed to my wife at sunrise at the top of Haleakala.
It's the place I probably want to go back to the most, but I wouldn't go for less than 4 weeks as it's so far for just 2.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:26 pm

I scored several easy wave sessions at Kanaha Lowers in my 3 month visit, some of which were "all time epic" to coin that much overused cliche, but it would have been very hit and miss had I been there for only a couple of weeks. Like pretty much anywhere for cross-off groundswell powered wavesailing.

The Ho'okipa box very much should be ticked and as BB says is much more consistent for waves (and crowds), but my favourite sessions were at Kanaha which was somewhat fickle requiring a decent size groundswell to produce waves, and closing out with anything much over halfmast-logo.

Sooo many good memories though and I would love to go back all other things being equal.