Mainland Europe in the Winter

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
DavidA
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Mainland Europe in the Winter

Post by DavidA » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks Jack. I have been using Windfinder stats to find places with above 50% >f4 for the winter months of Jan Feb March and that area certainly gets it. Down the road in Portugal it doesn't look so promising but I will keep looking. We are planning to rent a place rather than camp as we are going for a while. So we will have to find a nice town to stay in. Certainly Coruna looks more appealing than Ferrol!

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:30 pm

The thing that would put me off Galicia in winter is that its going to be absolutely massive whenever a storm comes through (which is probably the most likely source of wind). I spent June surfing around Coruna many years ago and it got pretty big on several occasions even then! Maybe there are some sheltered options, but finding them might be hard.

Wherever you go (except perhaps Tarifa) the wind is likely to be low pressure driven which makes it hard to find a single spot that is consistent. I'm not sure whether its ruined by kites now but Canos de Meca north of Tarifa used to eb a popular windsurfers winter hangout. I've been in March and it was howling and quite warm...

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

You could also consider the Cote d'azure for the mistral. I've been to Sanary/Six Fours in late feb - not for windsurfing but it was windy (offshore, so not the mistral - you could have found some wavesailing further down the coast I reckon), but there was obviously a big windsurfing scene there and temperatures were decent...

DavidA
Been liked: 9 times

Post by DavidA » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Billyboy you are right i think when the wind comes through it might be big surf which I am a bit too long in the tooth for so is the missus. I have been reading up on the area to see if there are tamer beaches in big winds. I do like the overall area. The Med would be a good call though I don't know it at all well. I guess Tarifa in the winter might not have as many kites as the summer so could be ok plus you can always sail Bolonia or Canos. I do like the town of Tarifa as well. I will carry on the research.