Sunday 28th June

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
Jeff
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Sunday 28th June

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Headed to West Hove, launched at half eight for a bit of mid tide action and whilst the wind was still WSW. V strong to start with, lit on 4.5 and 78 which was a great combo on a wave, but no room for error on the inside so changed up to 92l for a few hours of champagne sailing. Azure waters is not usually a description applied to that particular area. Rinse repeat tomorrow? Maybe the afternoon.

billyboy
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by billyboy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:45 pm

b&q he'll in the morning meant I couldn't catch the tide at Hove so I headed to LA for the push up to high. It was mega windy, stacked on 3.7, which is not my favourite conditions and certainly exposed my lack of windsurfing fitness! Still a really fun session with some big (for me) floaty jumps and enough of a bump for some fun riding. Forearm cramps called time a bit prematurely unfortunately but another summer wave session in the bank so not complaining.

martinwindsurf
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by martinwindsurf » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Back to Hayling for me. 3-5ish. One overpowered run on 5.2 then a fun sesh 4.7 & 93fsw. Some good lumps for awhile and kudos to the guy on his 1982 Thruster and Mountfield sail kit. Old school style!

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 pm

Kimmeridge all afternoon and early evening. After PhilN* had stamped my guest postcode pass and checked I was there for windsurfing not BBQing local forests I rigged my 5.2 and a new demo cube 93.
Fun times ensued.
Had to change down to 4.5 after an hour and it just got better and better. More W, better waves. Brilliant.

That last hour after 4:30pm was the best. A good loop count today with some decent landings and a few clew first hits.
Looks even better tomorrow.

*I figured out who you are... I think. I’ll say hello next time, if that’s allowed.

Distinctly Average
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Distinctly Average » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Headed for the lake but rigged too small. It was one of those gusty days where at times anything from 4.7 to 7.5 would have need right. I rigged a 5.5 on a 110 and struggled to get going most of the time with the occasional over powered 15 seconds of mayhem. Frustrating but at least I got wet. Most of all my back survived so a positive result despite not being much fun on the water.

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 am

rod wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 pm
I was there for windsurfing not BBQing local forests
:lol: Well done. I notice though that you've remained silent as to whether you shat in the car park. ;)

Smidge
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 am

QM. Daughter on a Techno training course and me hanging around. I was on 111L Flare and 5.7 - its a really sweet board for when the wind can be all over the place. When the big squalls came through there were very briefly pieces of chop so big and lumpy I could kind of wave sail on them! Got a bit of air, but not enough to work on forwards.

Meanwhile, seemingly in a parallel universe, the kids zoomed around on their 7.8m twin cammed sails, putting in about 5 hours on the water. It really is a revelation how those massive techno sails can cope with immense downhaul and a few other rigging tweaks to be OK in over 20kts. And during the very prolonged lulls they just let the downhaul off on the fly and keep on motoring.

crossy5575
Been liked: 4 times

Post by crossy5575 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

Having had a bit of a blast at Hayling on Sat, i tried Bracklesham on Sunday - ... for only being a mile or so apart the difference was stark! Bolt onshore and some lovely waves - which made going out a real issue.
After run 1 where i realised my kids had been moving the harness lines and were all off - i came back a bit worn... after changing them to their normal position i went out a few times on the 5.0 and 88 and had some nice floaty jumps, big carving turns on the waves and sprinting home, it was so onshore that jumping on the way in off the faces!
after about 20 mins - sailed out at full tilt and snapped a harness line... easy to get back in again though.
Changed to the 4.2 already rigged just as the wind picked up a bit so timing was great... some really fun runs - although just as i was getting dialed in, screaming back to the beach and snapped another harness line! - this time it led to about a 1km walk of shame up the beach as my weedy arms couldnt hold on without some assistance!

still a good session - but a reminder to change your accessories every once in a while - 1 set of harness lines was probably 6 years old - the other set were new - but cheap!

DavidA
Been liked: 20 times

Post by DavidA » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm

day out on the local break Bigbury with the rest of the local windsurfers a really big rolling swell made for some interesting jumps and big wave rides.