Sunday 28th June

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
WetSoot
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Sunday 28th June

Post by WetSoot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Due to rotten tide times on the coast, decided to sail at Rutland, and had a fantastic morning.

Rigged up and went out on 4.0/80 and was substantially underpowered, especially in the huge wind shadow created by Hambleton in a SW’ly

So, stuck a 4.8 on and was much better.

It was still gusty as hell, and in the bigger lulls was struggling a little on an 80Ltr board.

But otherwise, well powered up, and a great long reach right across to Normanton.

Arms held out for a dozen or so runs, with new harness lines at the right length making all the difference, before my forearms declared game over, and I found myself struggling to hold on in the lulls.

Did manage to smash my temple into the boom in a spectacularly poor carve gybe crash, at which point I put my newly purchased helmet on!

Must have been 30 or more boards on the water, and another 30 people ashore or rigging... windsurfing car park was rammed!... who says windsurfing is dying!

DaveMac
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Sunday 28th June

Post by DaveMac » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Arrived low tide at Shoreham. Seriously busy. People just blasting about without anything too exciting happening, other than beautiful blue skies and 4m weather. Rigged a 4.5 with my 94l and found the waves far too closely spaced and loadsa chop, maybe 12.15. Gradually things got more interesting and despite being close together waves were quite chunky by 2.30 when I stopped. Mainly survival gybes on the outside until some lovely swell could be spotted to gybe on, but little advance notice. Absolutely nothing classic, more chaotic, many wipeouts, but scores a 4 on the SK6000 simply for been really good fun. A couple of millimetres from disaster and a very expensive dental bill could have changed the rating when the tail of the board reversed into my mouth as a wave passed over while I was holding the boom in the water. Never saw it until I was pretty much biting it! Glad my mouth was open. Phew.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Hazzabee » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Fabulous pipe and slippers session 12-2pm at a gloriously warm and sunny yet surprisingly deserted Costa Del Hove. 4.2/77L was a comfy armchair. Some chunky lumps rolling through, though clean sets were not easy to find, and being more picky wind was a tad more SW than WSW so found myself backwinded on several waves therefore overall a 4 instead of a magical 5 on the 'tron. Best of the day was a nice one on a set in tandem just behind PK who also seemed to be having fun in front, good times. PK I apologise for interfering with your ride shortly after as I was sailing out...deaf as a post as I am with my earplugs and helmet I couldn't decipher your shouting but I trust it was well earned abuse! :oops:

DaveMac
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by DaveMac » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Hazzabee wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Fabulous pipe and slippers session 12-2pm at a gloriously warm and sunny yet surprisingly deserted Costa Del Hove.
Sounds good! Many Hove refugees at Shoreham. The recently permanently crowded Carats car park was mentioned.....
I also fancied a change of scenery to reset the mojo, and it was typically Shoreham sociable, good to see lots of familiar faces.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Hazzabee » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:34 pm

DaveMac wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:27 pm
Hazzabee wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:00 pm
Fabulous pipe and slippers session 12-2pm at a gloriously warm and sunny yet surprisingly deserted Costa Del Hove.
Sounds good! Many Hove refugees at Shoreham. The recently permanently crowded Carats car park was mentioned.....
Yep, arrived at 11 and it was pretty much full by 12

PhilN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by PhilN » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Kimmeridge, 5.2m 94l to start, nice blast around the bay on my own for 30 minutes before others ventured out. Lowish tide to start, so smaller swell but flat in between.
Quite relived the dive school with around 10 people which turned up decided to go elsewhere, that would have been fun with divers popping up here and there. Maybe it was them who decided to get their kayaks out instead. They were easy to spot on top of the water.

After an hour I got my Goya One 85 I bought last December out. Its 5 years old but barely used. I've found it slow to be honest, but it does turn a lot tighter than my Exocet wave board. I bought it for waves, but haven't seen much of them around here and cant go down to Marazion for a 3-4 day stay yet, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I had intended to go down there more this year. Ho hum.

Stuck the GPS on to see if the Goya was as slow as it felt, maybe I was imagining it, but no, slower by some margin. Thats only the 2nd proper session so I might be able to work out how to get a bit of speed up. Moved the straps & mastrack back a fair whack for the starting position which seems to help.
20200628 GPS.jpg

PhilN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by PhilN » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:22 pm

ps. contactless payment at the toll hut now. Welcome to the 21st century.

PK1111
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by PK1111 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:24 pm

A much better day at Hove (actually Shoreham Port / hotpipes / Carrats cafe etc).
Got there for 11, flat on low tide but easy parking and boy it was looking lovely. Easily 25 knots plus, about SW and small waves on the beautiful green sparkling sea.

Leisurely rig up whilst chatting with friendly locals, agreeing that best waves will be later , but needing an easy session as knackered after yesterday.

Spiffy hour on the Mako 84 and 4.2 Blade with the odd jump and ride, the board feeling fast yet smooth.

Swapped to the Nano to see if better on the waves down by the pipe for an hour, but too bouncy in the chop and the hefty wind, the trade off wasn’t worth it.

Swapped back to Mako for a final hour as the waves picked up and had a sparkling time. Hazza gave me a wave which I suspect was short hand for getoffmyland but I laughed back and pointed out that I have uk wide multipass.

Easily hits a 4 on the SK6000, and would maybe have hit a 5 if I’d had the energy to handle the higher tide session.
Attachments
7E65F833-0891-44D6-A6BD-C1412786B6FF.png

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:48 pm

PhilN wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:22 pm
ps. contactless payment at the toll hut now. Welcome to the 21st century.
Hmm. That'll be a price rise in the pipeline then. Not that I particularly begrudge paying the estate mind.

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:58 pm

More Hayling. Sunshine and X-on today. Less swell than yesterday. Maybe the Isle of Wight was in the way; selfish Jurassic bastard that it is ;) I spent a couple of fun hours sailing upwind by the sand bar where the dangling abominations swarm, stuffing all my tack attempts and mostly failing to duck gybe. Great fun though.

Parking was a bit challenging again. I was there before 9.00am and it was busy then. Tossers of the day were the windsurfers in a large motorhome, who decided that the 'No Parking' and 'Keep Clear' signs and the barriers to the entrance to the 'old' (upwind) car park actually meant 'no parking for everyone except tossers with a large motorhome'. They actually carried the barriers away so that they could park in what functions as the emergency access route upwind. Seriously out-of-order behaviour that could get us all a bad name. Fortunately the kite rescue people seemed to move them on after a while.