Monday 15th April

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
PK1111
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 12 times

Monday 15th April

Post by PK1111 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Newgale in Pembrokeshire again today.
What was epic yesterday was horrific today.
Wind had cranked up to 30 gusting 40 knots cross off and my smallest gear only being a 4.8 and fsw 90, it wasn’t much fun.
Waves still rolling in at 2 to 3 foot, and there was a bit of shelter under the cliffs at the southern end of the beach.
Toughed it out for over an hour, but even the local on small wave gear was having issues, so decided discretion is the better part of valour, that honour had been satisfied, and retired to the cafe to recuperate. :mrgreen:
On the bright side, it wasn’t too cold, the sun made the odd appearance, the scenery was stunning, the waves were a magical turquoise, and the forecast for the rest of the week looks perfect for family surfing!

BillG
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Monday 15th April

Post by BillG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Tiree, Brock again. The wind was ridiculous in the morning but was forecast to drop a bit after lunch. Got to the beach at 2 to find several people out, measured the wind on the beach - 45 mph max gust 56.9 mph!

Decided to rig 3.4 very slowly and see what happened. It seemed to lull after a bit so went out. Absolute madness! After 2 runs sailing on about half an inch of fin, totally out of control and desperately trying not to launch into the stratosphere over every wave, stopped for a rest. Definitely the windiest I've ever sailed.

After a while the wind did drop to manageable levels and we all went out again. Not as much fun as yesterday but still worth it.

Great to see youngsters Ruaraidh Sommerville and Will Rowland out all day really looking good and showing us geriatrics how it's done.m

DaveMac
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by DaveMac » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Yep. Seaton once more. Could not get out until after high tide (2.50pm) .... the dump looked horrible. Bonus that the wind was due to drop back. So waited until 6.30 to launch. Questioned the appeal of sailing at all, grey light, grey sea, grey shingle, grey Seaton,no one about .....and still some pretty chunky dump. Decided to still go for my 6m and my floaty RRD. Managed to find a nice gap and didn't screw up my launch. Happy to find my sail selection just right, and infact dropped in the drink to release a bit of outhaul. Found myself really enjoying things, big swell occasionally for some nice gybes and some fast smooth patches coming down to gybe near the beach. Port tack started to feel okay, after yesterday's weirdness. Always in the back of my mind was the shore break for returning to the beach, my plan being it could only get easier. Headed in at 7.40 . But sure enough the rig got caught in some undertow, I lost contact and crawled out . Sprinted along to try and catch my gear and watch it get tossed up the shingle, I was convinced something would get broken. But no, I caught a footstrap and dragged everything out. I will double check it tomorrow. Five hours after HW ,I said the beach was steep shelving....
Memorable sail all the same. Nothing classic, but very worth the effort. Happy to get a breather tomorrow. Good to hear the other folk's exploits too. :D

Duncan Adam
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Duncan Adam » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 am

Newton, Porthcawl for a short brutal session on my Shaman 96 and 3.7m sail.