Sunday 14 April

Had an amazing sail? Tell us all about it.
DaveMac
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 22 times

Sunday 14 April

Post by DaveMac » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Seaton Devon. Cross on shore, port tack. Got my kit selection perfect (phew), 6m with my 106 RRD FSW. Wary of the shore break and waiting for the temperature to reach the max of the day (8/9 degrees) launched about 3pm . Did port tack sailing feel weird or what, it has been so long...... Just blasting about in some moderate sized swell , nice to gybe on. Felt very alone (but not unsafe). Got over an hour and never cold, first time I have used the open palm mitts. Windier tomorrow which could be interesting. Beach is steep shelving shingle and it is neaps with minimal tidal range so I hope the dump will be manageable..... Awkward enough being port tack :D
PS Seaton is definitely not Tiree, which is probably a good thing for me. But a change of scenery was really nice . Temperature acc to the BBC the same though.....

PK1111
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Sunday 14 April

Post by PK1111 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Newgale in Pembrokeshire.
The long period swell just keeps rolling in, about 2 to 3 foot and clean as a whistle in the cross off winds.
Launched around 11 on the fsw 90 and S1 5.6.
I’d left all the wave boards at home on the forecast, but the old fsw turned out to be a magic board for the conditions! Fast enough to punch out quickly through any surf, kept planing through the lulls, and quick enough to catch the very cross off waves.
Was a bit stiff at times in the turns, but playing to its strengths, you could keep turning along a wave without falling off the back and then play with the lip or boost over the white water at the end.
4 hours of fun as the tide rolled in, neaps so never got too high.
Only one out as previous sailor packed up as I launched. Some locals went in later in the afternoon.
Not too cold, despite the 8 degree air temp, mainly thanks to the hooded suit and palmless mits.
So a pretty epic session!
Much more windy tomorrow so may seek a bit more shelter.

BillG
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by BillG » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Tiree. Went to Brock at the east end of Gott bay today as the wind was more cross shore and the waves (big, some over mast high) space out as they come round the point.

3.4 Taka 4 and Moo 66L were perfect once I'd flattened the sail a bit. Much easier sailing than Balephuil yesterday and even managed to go front side a few times. Tried it once on a massive out side wave but scared the hell out of myself dropping back down off the top so left it until the inside from then on.

Several out, even though it was a lot colder than yesterday with no sunshine. Had a go on Ruaraidh's JP ultimate wave 83. I've never really got on with quads before but I enjoyed it. Have to say it didn't feel like 83L.

Tomorrow's forecast is for the same again with stronger wind (Ferry's been cancelled) so I may just watch, although the Met office has backed off from the 50 + mph.

rod
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by rod » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Decided not to drive to Newgale, which was clearly a mistake judging by PK's report. Instead survived a gusty 5.8 session in Porthcawl more suited to foiling. Oh well.
NE/E/SE/S are mostly rubbish east of the Gower.