15th & 16th Nov

A place to discuss the weather and outlook on windsurfing conditions.
BillG
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 127 times

15th & 16th Nov

Post by BillG »

So where are Shinglies thinking of this weekend? Avon looks like it's on shore again on Saturday then off shore on Sunday! Hayling can be quite fun in a southerly but high tide is 11ish so tricky until afternoon.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: Just seen on Facebook they are closing the Hayling west beach car park this weekend due to wind & waves!
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: 15th & 16th Nov

Post by James.blonde »

I remember er last year when the tide breached the beach along the seafront at LA, I was speaking to one of the council bods and they said a storm surge was responsible for it rather than the wind wave combo alone. He said they had benn expecting it. Inasked where that data comes from but not sure it was readily available to you and I. This maybe why they have shut Hayling.
PhilN
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by PhilN »

You normally get higher tides than forecast if you are under an area of low pressure and there is high pressure all around you. Along the South Coast low in the channel and high in the Atlantic and North Sea. In Poole I've seen a +40cm tidal surge, and thats with a normal range of 0 - 2.4m.
The converse is true, high pressure over us gives less water than forecast, but its not as dramatic, maybe -20cm tops.

This weekend it looks to be low pressure everywhere so haven't a clue what that will produce. Sunday looks the largest tidal surge as the high is nearer the SW coast.

Click on one of the red RT at your nearest gauge.
https://www.ntslf.org/data/uk-network-real-time

Sandbanks Saturday & Branksome Sunday is my plan.
TwoFish
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by TwoFish »

No windsurfing for me as van will be entering third day of major surgery due to sack-of-shit, not-fit-for-purpose VW components (+ a bit of reasonable wear and tear repair, being about 10-15% of the total bill). A replacement particulate filter (to replace structural failure, not blockage) is apparently £2k + VAT, just for the part. Oh and it will take them over a week to supply one. The failure of their shitty manifold is resulting in similar costs due to the labour.

My personal challenge for the next 20 years is at least £1m damage to their brand value, through highlighting their shitty quality, competence and integrity.

Sorry for the rant, but I know others have a similar view of the bastards.

On the plus side, that's nothing compared to some of their victims' plight.
DavidA
Been liked: 25 times

Post by DavidA »

Twofish I feel for you. I have been running my VW without DPF since new and it has been faultless, powerful and good mpg. I have just ordered another so thought better have a DPF put on the current one as it is technically illegal to run without, even though it has passed all its MOTs without both on emissions and visual inspection because the original was bored out. Any way not it has a DPF it uses more fuel and feels less powerful. Weird. Hopefully from the sound of it they have got it sorted on the new T6s.
TwoFish
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by TwoFish »

Thanks DvA. I know I could easily remove the collapsed 'monolith' core of the DPF, save fuel, reduce CO2 emissions, have more power and reliability and sail through my MoTs. I feel I should 'do the right thing' though; comply with the law and 'do my bit', even if my driving patterns aren't those which are a significant cause of harmful particulate emissions. What p*ss*s me off massively though is that VW take advantage of this to rape me on price, despite the substandard quality being down to them. And then they can't even produce the extortionately priced part when needed, having had only 15 years' experience of the performance of their shitty DPFs on their vans from which to gauge need.

Sorry, more rantiness. I needed a few drinks.

Tomorrow I'll start on my plans for the Nuremberg Trial for the VW Board. ;)
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Just to carry on the off topic, sorry everybody.
Last year i bought a 15 reg vw t5, absolutel nightmare with dpf blocking. I only do local milage. Had to go to dual carriage way once aweek and drive up and down to clear it. What a joke, burning fuel to dump the crap out of a filter on the dual carriage way.
Sold it and kept my ageing old 55plate van with minimal filters thats more powerful, better fuel economy and more reliable.
I actually don't want a newer one as they are a mare. T6 are worse according to my mechanic.
Vw say buy a petrol one if you don't do motorway miles, oh yes 23mpg around town!! How is thatbetter than 35mpg that my old bus does.Then they stop making those after 12 months as no-one buys them.
DavidA
Been liked: 25 times

Post by DavidA »

James, still off topic the T6.1 has an option for "manual regeneration while parked" which is fitted to those that do only short delivery journeys etc which is meant to stop all the DPF problems. I must admit I am surprised they don't do a hybrid version. Its diesel or electric the joke is the electric only has a range of 81miles and that might well be exaggerated!