The place to discuss technique.
Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Tighter bottom turn

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:11 pm

BillG wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:01 pm
I recently started moving my back hand much further down the boom (I always felt I was moving my hand but it wasn't far enough!) as I go down into the bottom turn. Then sliding it forward as I go for the top turn. This has definitely improved things for me (I'm still crap, just not as bad!) as it seems to get my weight in the right place.
That is another good one. I was also moving my hands but I realised nowhere near as much when I saw this footage of Will:
[yt][/yt]

But still, this is side shore, in on shore you can only do this if the load in the sail is not too much or moved too high up forcing you to sheet out or you will get launched over the front. In the first picture earlier, he had already moved the back hand forward again to keep the sail in the right angle not to get back winded.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm

a trick i once learned in a clinic is to measure where you want your hands for the wide grip and puit before that ducktape on the boom.
when sliding your down the boom you know you don,t stop before you passed the tape.
Sounds simple but worked really well to grip wide.
And yes, both hands all the way to the front is a must do on a tight hit.

maker
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by maker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:16 am

Had another session and much better. Wind direction was x-shore, soft waves. mostly float out on 94l/4.7m. Did the wider grip and found Will video useful in being a bit more aggrssive. Got a couple of double turns and one good cutback turn. Stoked with that and can't wait for next go. thanks for tips

maker

Post by maker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

..... and another thing in xshre or a little on shore after I top turn I feel nothing in the sail then after a few seconds some power. Is that the wave shieding me from wind?

Aardvark
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Aardvark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 am

Sounds like your fins are too big and/or too stiff.

maker

Post by maker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:06 am

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 am
Rears in quad are a little big and are stiff/ Why would that give impression of no power in sail. I get this when stalled near top of wav and pump with feet and back hand to get going.

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am

maker wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm
..... and another thing in xshre or a little on shore after I top turn I feel nothing in the sail then after a few seconds some power. Is that the wave shieding me from wind?
That could just be a case of overturning or having sheeted out completely and then recapture yourself and sheet in to gain speed again?
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

maker

Post by maker » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am

Bouke/Witchcraft wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:54 am
maker wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm
That could just be a case of overturning or having sheeted out completely and then recapture yourself and sheet in to gain speed again?
Don't think I am over turning, but could be sail angle, will try something different next time, ta.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:08 pm

I now the feel and its like Bouke wrote on a really tight turn, or going 100% neutral on the angle for a split seccond in the turn and you sail needs to powered up again.

Aardvark
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Aardvark » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:07 am
Sorry I didn't explain myself I meant that too big and/or stiff fins will lead to a lot of straight lining when bottom turning.
The difference can be quite profound.