Easily Overpowered - basic tips please

The place to discuss technique.
amunt

Easily Overpowered - basic tips please

Post by amunt »

I've been windsurfing for quite a few years and reached an ok standard - I can carve gype and do some tame jumps on chop. But I get so easily overpowered in winds above 20 mph that I know my stance must be very wrong - the stronger the wind the slower I go, battling to keep the sail from pulling me right up and over.
Any basic tips for this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
P.S I have tried a much smaller sail, but then I'm going a quarter of the speed of everyone else.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Easily Overpowered - basic tips please

Post by Jeroensurf »

What helps a lot is footage so we can see what you do and what to change.
besides: more info: board/sailsize, your weight and size, conditions you are sailing helps a lot too.
tim319
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by tim319 »

I think in general intermediates, especially lighter weight ones, use too big a sail.

Also, make sure your fin isn't too big. Big fins are very difficult to control and make you totally over-powered in stronger winds. A lot of intermediate big boards come with fins that are good for light wind big sail conditions, but un-usable in stronger winds.
Manu

Post by Manu »

Well after years of sailing I still feel like I overpower easily too! However there's uncomfortable and overpowered, sometimes we may confuse the two. Overpowered is when we need to let power out when sailing as our body weight and legs strength can no longer compensate for wind power.

Depending on sail size and body weight it can happen at different levels. There are ways to compensate this problem. 1. Head downwind and build more speed. 2. Head upwind but beware that you'll shave speed and sail will eventually feel heavier. 3. More downhaul (adjust outhaul accordingly). 4. Smaller fin. 5. Experience with being overpowered.

With 5 you will learn to survive in overpowered conditions, it can be fun! Trying to go as fast as you can while in control, pretty cool feeling!

What's your gear and conditions particularly?
PhilN
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by PhilN »

Stance depends upon the type of kit you are sailing.
If there are other sailors around, ask them to give you some tips and have a look at how you setup your kit. I think most sailors would spare a few minutes.
Other than that, there are a lot of videos from coaches on the internet about kit tuning and technique.
Without any video for us to watch, or even the type of kit or the conditions you have, we could list 100 things which might be causing your issues.
amunt

Post by amunt »

Thanks all for advice. As you all say pretty hard to comment on without footage. I will get some others to take a look at me while on the water in case they can give tips.