Waist harness with big board and sail

The place to discuss technique.
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Waist harness with big board and sail

Post by maker »

I use a waist harness fine on boards 78l-100l and sails 3.7m-6m; The 100l board is freerace with 6m. I use a seat harness on a 125l freerace with 7.5m twin cam until yesterday until yesterday when nicely powered I tried the waist harness and never felt comfortable with back ache starting. On 100l/6m and 125l/7.5m I feel lots of weight through seat harness to mast foot and with waist harness less through mast foot and more through my front foot. Any advice on technique and set-up for using waist harness on 125l/7.5m
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Waist harness with big board and sail

Post by Distinctly Average »

I went through that experience too. I learnt using a seat harness as almost all waist harnesses made my lungs uncomfortable. I was advised by a couple of racers who use waist harnesses with big sails that they too have at times experienced back pain etc while using them, but both said they struggled adjusting to a nappy. It does make me wonder if a waist harness really is the best idea for big sails.
K-215
Been liked: 11 times

Post by K-215 »

Life (and time on the water) is way too short for agonising over this.
You tried it and did'nt like it!
Stick with what you know (and like) :D
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by maker »

K-215 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:13 am Life (and time on the water) is way too short for agonising over this.
You tried it and did'nt like it!
Stick with what you know (and like) :D
Seat harness falling apart. Also interested in technique.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

Most people who I see sailing with a diper have the tendency to sit in with a too low boom to allow them that to do so.
If you get the jackpot the sail like 16incl lines as well. :lol:
If you do the same with a waist your harness rides up and forces you to bend over breaking your back.

For ME the proper technique isnt to sit in like taking a dump but keep the 7 stance, near like straight legs and back, arms almost straighten out.
To do so you need to raise the boom and use longer harness lines, think like 32inch.
Quite often it alsno needs an readjustment of the position of the lines.
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

I am an average windsurfer at best but definitely think there is too much fashion peer pressure regarding harness use.
Driving a detuned race board with a big sail and trying to get my personal GPS speed as high as I can I would take a seat harness as it feels more comfortable and the numbers tell me it is faster than a waist harness on that kit.
High wind days on a freestyle wave board in chop or please god some proper waves and it would be the waist harness every time.
I wouldn’t take my Futura 133 wave sailing, why would I use the seat harness for wave sailing?
Although got to say why use any harness at all, go wind or wing foiling and don’t bother with the harness at all :D
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

I was a late adopter of a waist harness as my seat harness has lasted years without degrading at all. It was only spotting a clearance bargain that was too cheap to ignore that made me buy a waist harness (I got a dakine T6 for £50 about 3/4 years ago). There is a perception issue where i was conscious that i was the only sailor in a seat by the time i switched.

Has it changed my sailing - i dont think so. I find i drop out of the lines way more. Possibly due to the not sitting down hard on the lines like you can in a seat. So I might be a bit more upright but I do struggle with getting the lines right and have got various lengths. The 30" everyone says are the go to just feel like i cant get my shoulders away from the boom enough to keep the power out of my arms. I think i need a higher boom.

I haven't moved back to the waist harness at all but i would not rule it out. I have back issues that don't impact my windsurfing but my back is not in great shape (3 compound fractures from 2 incidents over the years). I also have fairly bad asthma and i do feel the waist harness squeezing my ribs / chest. I remember watching Ben Profits Defi video and him saying how uncomfortable he was sailing that long on one tack and wanting to switch to a seat harness. I get that. I think that while i might have a more modern upright stance with a waist harness I would use a lot less energy and would gain comfort in going back to a seat and just sitting all my weight down on the power from the rig. Not the modern way but i know it works and it is something worth trying if you are getting grief from your harness.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

Jeroensurf wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:04 pm Most people who I see sailing with a diper have the tendency to sit in with a too low boom to allow them that to do so.
If you get the jackpot the sail like 16incl lines as well. :lol:
If you do the same with a waist your harness rides up and forces you to bend over breaking your back.

For ME the proper technique isnt to sit in like taking a dump but keep the 7 stance, near like straight legs and back, arms almost straighten out.
To do so you need to raise the boom and use longer harness lines, think like 32inch.
Quite often it alsno needs an readjustment of the position of the lines.
Even just wearing them on the beach seems to press on my lungs. Never really found a comfortable waist harness. I think I am just the wrong shape.
Smidge
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Smidge »

Way back when I used a seat harness I always had back problems. I had to use the special back support ones Neil Pryde did, and convinced myself never to try a waist harness. Then I forgot to take it on a holiday and could only borrow a waist harness. First day was awful, dropping out of lines or harness riding up. I would have thrown it away and never tried again if I had a choice. Then, without thinking about it, I adjusted my stance to the more 7 style, my sailing improved materially, and I never had back problems windsurfing again (!). I suspect the back issue depends on which specific vertebrae's you have a problem with, but for me its been great. I have used up to 9.7m, and regularly 7.5m - but not deep profile multi cambered race sails.

I suspect light sailors who use large sails (in particular the 50kg kids on twin cam Techno 7.8s, or the Olympic waifs who still have to do RSX - neither of which get to use a change down sail) really need seat harnesses though.