Hot Sails Maui KS3

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Hot Sails Maui KS3

Post by Lostboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm

northy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Wully - why no Super Hero? (just curious - they seem well revered.. i dont own one!)
They're a sail that I've looked at for when my Boxers finally die (I've bought up just about every size of every model post 12 to ensure that it doesn't happen soon!) but I'm reliably informed by someone who has sailed them extensively and recently that they just don't work for the slightly "larger" (the rider concerned is a similar mid-high 90's kg as me) rider as they just "hinge" and fold up in the middle, making them horribly gutless and poor handling. This is a trait of a great many of the "loose leech" sail designs.

northy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by northy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Lostboy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm
they just "hinge" and fold up in the middle, making them horribly gutless and poor handling. This is a trait of a great many of the "loose leech" sail designs.
i tried a Banzai a few years back and thought this was the sail for me (reading the blurb) - ok it was just 1 session and maybe it was rigged wrong but it felt the same - like it just folded when i tried to pump / get some power into it....and im not v big @91kg

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Arf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I've got a 4.0 KS3, only got to use it twice in 3 years.
Look forward to getting more acquainted with it, not really able to offer any insights into the handling of it yet!

TwoFish
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by TwoFish » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

northy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm
Lostboy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm
they just "hinge" and fold up in the middle, making them horribly gutless and poor handling. This is a trait of a great many of the "loose leech" sail designs.
i tried a Banzai a few years back and thought this was the sail for me (reading the blurb) - ok it was just 1 session and maybe it was rigged wrong but it felt the same - like it just folded when i tried to pump / get some power into it....and im not v big @91kg
I used mainly Banzais during a week in Medano a couple of years ago, mostly larger sails in marginal winds. I and the group I was with had problems with the rental sails (multiple brands) we were using which we put down to the hire centre leaving their sails permanently tensioned, warping the masts and leaving the sails gutless. However when I got a good mast sail combo, and when the wind came, I got on with the Banzai very well (which surprised me). I can't claim to have used it overpowered though. However I think Banzais probably are sufficiently soft / smooth / springy to make Wully's test list.

Such a shame that we no longer have testing with Adrian's very useful Soft/Sharp - Flexible / Firm - Light / Grunty - Front / Back scales so that we can get a real feel for the style of different sails. The marketing blurb reviews take a great deal of decoding and even then aren't nearly as useful.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Sailrepair » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 pm

Sometimes the "fold in the middle" thing is specific to one or two sail sizes withing the whole sail range. I think the problem often arises (especially for us heavier riders) with the biggest sail that takes a specific mast. For example maybe the bigger sizes rig on a 430 and they work fine, it is often the biggest sail that rig on say a 400 mast where the problems can occur ie maybe a 5.3 with a long extension. The 5.0 and 4.7 in the range might also rig on a 400 but work fine. It is when you have a reasonable amount of sail area on a softer mast. The problem often shows its self as you sheet in to power your bottom turn and the top half of the sail flexes off and your sail gets creases right across it. Then you can get a similar problem further down the sail range with the biggest sail on a 370 mast but personally I have found it most obvious on a 400 mast.

If you have masts where you can interchange the sections you can try using the bottom half of a 430 and a shorter extension and see if that improves things.

wully
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by wully » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:41 pm

northy wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Wully - why no Super Hero? (just curious - they seem well revered.. i dont own one!)
2 reasons..

1. I just could not be seen in public with a sail with ‘super hero ‘ written on it.... :D

2. North sails I’ve tried in the past felt a bit ‘stiff’ - not as ‘bad’ as some but not the feel I like in a sail.

TOTD
Been liked: 29 times

Post by TOTD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Sailrepair wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:01 pm
Sometimes the "fold in the middle" thing is specific to one or two sail sizes withing the whole sail range. I think the problem often arises (especially for us heavier riders) with the biggest sail that takes a specific mast. For example maybe the bigger sizes rig on a 430 and they work fine, it is often the biggest sail that rig on say a 400 mast where the problems can occur ie maybe a 5.3 with a long extension. The 5.0 and 4.7 in the range might also rig on a 400 but work fine. It is when you have a reasonable amount of sail area on a softer mast. The problem often shows its self as you sheet in to power your bottom turn and the top half of the sail flexes off and your sail gets creases right across it. Then you can get a similar problem further down the sail range with the biggest sail on a 370 mast but personally I have found it most obvious on a 400 mast.

If you have masts where you can interchange the sections you can try using the bottom half of a 430 and a shorter extension and see if that improves things.
Undserstood all you wrote. But does the FOLD actually effect anything .?
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

TOTD
Been liked: 29 times

Post by TOTD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Since Simmer came up, I bought on a whim a used 5. 0 Icon, bargain on eBay, I really didn’t need the size, but used it a lot as a windsup sail. I liked it a lot. Easily sold for a small profit
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Sailrepair
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Its hard to describe. It is not a huge issue (but maybe it is for some people with some sails). In my experience its not enough to make you fall off but it is more a loss of drive. I guess maybe the laminar air flow starts to go in a upward direction in the top half of the sail. It isn't a pleasant feeling but if you have a sail that does it you know when its likely to happen.

I once made a high aspect semi soft 5.0 and it was prone to doing it but not in a way that would disturb your wave riding. When I have had prototype sails that did it, at first I'd go looking for what was causing it. But in fact it can be just the ratio of skin tension to seam shape couple with aspect ratio and a couple of mm tweaks here and there and it stops happening

DavidA
Been liked: 14 times

Post by DavidA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm

I have been a fan of Black Tips for a while but recently changed our whole quiver because between myself and my wife we had a mixture of Simmer and Severne. So we carried out a load of testing similar sails to those on your list and the Banzai won out. Of course this has to suit sailors of quite different weights me at 95kg and her at 62kg. They are a springy sail and have plenty of power and handle over power very well love em.