Hot Sails Maui KS3

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
ronnie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Hot Sails Maui KS3

Post by ronnie » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:00 am

socialsailor
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by socialsailor » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

I have indeed. I spent the best part of 6 weeks sailing a 4.9 KS3 every day. In the light wind, cross off float and ride days it was a dream to sail, but the moment I got overpowered the on and off nature of it was such a pain in the arse - I think it had something to do with the bottom batten, as my back hand was always getting tugged back and forward; the clew was constantly moving. I never felt I could get that locked in feel you get with an all round wavesail when you’re very powered up. In contrast with my Combats, I sacrifice a small amount of light wind flickiness for stability and control when it’s windy, and they still have masses of power and range. - and that’s not sponsored sailor bollocks, because the Gaastra Manic, Simmer Blacktip etc all have the same feel when it’s windy, although they have a little less bottom end power in them.
I know exactly what you are talking about, I’ve experienced it too. I emailed the sail designer Jeff Henderson. Turns out the luff length sail spec printed on that particular KS3 was off by 2 cm and I was sailing it under downhauled. Added 2 cm to my extension and viola the perfect stable sail.

Gorgesailor
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Gorgesailor » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:00 pm

socialsailor wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm
Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:

I have indeed. I spent the best part of 6 weeks sailing a 4.9 KS3 every day. In the light wind, cross off float and ride days it was a dream to sail, but the moment I got overpowered the on and off nature of it was such a pain in the arse - I think it had something to do with the bottom batten, as my back hand was always getting tugged back and forward; the clew was constantly moving. I never felt I could get that locked in feel you get with an all round wavesail when you’re very powered up. In contrast with my Combats, I sacrifice a small amount of light wind flickiness for stability and control when it’s windy, and they still have masses of power and range. - and that’s not sponsored sailor bollocks, because the Gaastra Manic, Simmer Blacktip etc all have the same feel when it’s windy, although they have a little less bottom end power in them.
I know exactly what you are talking about, I’ve experienced it too. I emailed the sail designer Jeff Henderson. Turns out the luff length sail spec printed on that particular KS3 was off by 2 cm and I was sailing it under downhauled. Added 2 cm to my extension and viola the perfect stable sail.
Was going to say he had it rigged wrong. I have sailed my 4.9 into 30 knots - well into flat 4.3 territory with excellent stability.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm

They have an excellent range but often not exactly the right specs.
If you sail them for years you get used to that and play with them till you find you personal magic mix, but if you are coming from a brand that got it sorted out like Pryde its pretty weird and confusing.
I,m now on 2020 Ezzy,s and it feels almost weird how spot on the numbers are. Initially i started to play with it, but there is no need to it.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 am

socialsailor wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:55 pm
Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:

That would explain it; I had a lot of difficulty figuring out how to rig the sail as the recommended settings were very clearly wrong!
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

nimo
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by nimo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:03 am

In my experience the KS3s have the biggest wind range of any sails I have ever owned. ignore the numbers printed on them and rig it my eye. The range of the 4.9 with a bit of downhaul and outhaul adjustment is massive!