Hot Sails Maui KS3

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
wully
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 41 times

Hot Sails Maui KS3

Post by wully » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:43 pm

I’m looking to replace my Tushy Rock wave sails and like the sound of the Hot Sails KS3. Only problem is no one stocks them here any more and I really need to try one before I buy.
I just missed getting a second hand one from France which I’d have taken a chance on as it was reasonably priced.

I’m 90 kgs and like a sail with some grunt and spring in it - the last time I was looking for sails I had the opportunity to try pretty much everything on the market at the time (2007] and found that sails definitely had a ‘corporate’ feel to them in that some brands had all the feel of my front door while others had a nice feed in of power as they were sheeted in - and out.
Maybe that’s changed over the years - I’ve been using Tushy Rocks ever since then and haven’t even had a quick go on anything else.

Reading magazine reviews is a waste of time as nothing gets a bad review anymore and as Hot Sails aren’t sold here or more crucial to getting a (good) test,(heavily)advertised here.... not that I’m cynical of course.

Short of jumping on a plane to Maui - what to do?

TwoFish
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Hot Sails Maui KS3

Post by TwoFish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 am

Does Anton no longer import? I know he's fairly 'low profile' (understatement), but he did get me my large Superfreak a year or so ago, and he's still listed on the HSM website as the UK agent.

As you know, my migration from Rocks involves a seemingly rather odd combination of Superfreaks in the smaller wave sizes (up to 5.5) and then a Witchcraft Karma (5.9, and a 6.5 on the way) for lighter winds. I was worried that the Karma might lack softness and springiness, but whilst it's undoubtedly firmer than the Superfreaks (what isn't?) it has impeccable manners and really has proved a great (and gutsier) replacement to my 5.7 Rock / 6.2 Storm. As the review says, it's 'smooth'. I don't know if you've had the chance to try one yet, but my guess is you might like it. One downside though would be that they rig on constant curve masts, whereas I guess a KS3 would be better on Tushy flex tops.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:41 am

I have a 5.2 Witchcraft Slayer you could take away and test. I need to get another demo Witchcraft Karma, but I can organise that so you could try them if you want. The Slayer is softer than the Karma so probably closer to what you are looking for.

TwoFish

Post by TwoFish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 am

Oh, and since you're here Bigfish . . . . The rigging manual on the Witchcraft site is for the Slayer, not the Karma. My assumption has been that much the same applies for the Karma. Are there any rigging / tuning differences between the two that you would highlight though?

Super sail BTW (my Karma). I'm really pleased with it.

Sailrepair
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you TwoFish

The same principles of rigging apply to both the slayer and karma. The main thing with both sails is not to be afraid of not putting enough downhaul on. If you want power leave some rotation in the batten above the boom (and even the one above that on the karma) and don't worry that the leach has not dropped off. The leach should have a neutral spring to it rather than a lot of pre twist looseness. If you want to drop the leach off more for gusty conditions you can do so but as a default setting I would tend to downhaul it until just before the head starts going loose and the battens around the boom are half rotated. If its marginal I would give it 1cm less downahul and if it is gusty/squally then I would give it 1cm more downahul than my default setting. For front side wave riding I give the sails 1cm more outhaul than I do for bump and jump style sailing. If you want to look for the sails top end then I would flatten it with downhaul and just add appropriate outhaul to match. You can flatten them with outhaul but then that is you tuning it for the amount of "on/off" you want from the sail for riding rather than extending the top end of the sails wind range. I am 6'2" and tend to only use the top eye at the clew. But if I am putting everything to the test and know I'm going to take some big waves on the head I will use both eyes to spread the load. Bouke on Fuerte rigs his sails like that all the time.

being quite heavy the 5.9 karma is my default sail and I use it as much as everything else put together.

TwoFish

Post by TwoFish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks Bigfish. That's really helpful. I had already been setting with the batten above the boom rotated and without much looseness in the leach (and by chance, Tez happened to be rigging up next to me one day and agreed I seem to have things about right). However from what you're saying I could get even more power out of it with a bit less downhaul and the next batten up partially rotated. That's good to know.

I'm much looking forward to my 6.5. I'm presuming that will have even more power cut into it (relative to sail size?), though I'm curious as to how the change in aspect may impact there.

Wully. Sorry for slightly hijacking your KS3 thread. Email sent.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi wully

I will happily evangelise about my 5.2 KS3. Very light, good grunt, great top end and the funny bottom S batten gives instant depower in the turns. It rigs a bit weird and has a crazy amount of rotation which took some getting used to but all smiles now. In fact my favouritest sail
I've owned in a 5m+ size with my freaks still top of the tree for the windier stuff. My next quiver update ideally will include a couple more KS3s but to say they are not cheap is somewhat of an understatement so I am delaying the inevitable.

Anton Poll was/is your man for all things HSM
antonpoll1 AT hotmail DOT com

TOTD
Been liked: 29 times

Post by TOTD » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Sully, you have read my thoughts on HSM, already. I would not rule out the QU4D, I feel its more allrounder.
FWIW, the Taka is sweet.
Is a mast consideration involved here .?
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

wully
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by wully » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

Choices, choices....

The short list is, in no particular order - as I don’t know how they’d compare:

Slayer
HSM KS3
Black Tip
Banzai

I can get a loan of a Black Tip and John has kindly offered a go on the Slayer so I’m half way there!

Watch this space....Wullys Test day coming up 😎

northy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by northy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Wully - why no Super Hero? (just curious - they seem well revered.. i dont own one!)