Harness height and line length

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
BillG
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 36 times

Harness height and line length

Post by BillG » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:08 pm

There's and interesting video on the 2XS site of Simon Basset talking to Levi Siver about harness height:
https://vimeo.com/337776836

Several years ago I had to switch from a waist harness to a seat harness because of really painful ribs. But when my seat harness fell to bits I couldn't find a comfortable seat harness and eventually went back to a wait harness (Da Kine NRG) which works great for me with 30'" lines set together on the boom and the harness quite loose and low (not Bernd Roediger low!).

What do you do?

PK1111
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Harness height and line length

Post by PK1111 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Put it in the middle and get out there!

I use a waist harness, unless slalom sailing when I use a low hook seat harness, which feels very different.
Lines are pretty much always 32”, which feels good all round.
Think I’ve still got a pair of 30” on my smallest boom for when it’s nuking, and that seems more comfortable then. I guess it’s just easier to commit weight to and less likely to unhook when it’s bouncy.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Asle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:47 pm

I do just as Siver tells in the video and I have been doing this for maybe ten years. Lines 32" and a quite loose waist harness hanging down on my hips.

For slalom I also use a waist harness but then I use adjustable lines 24-30" and adjust them according to waterstate. Flattest water short, chop longer to ad control.

Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 am

Im now on 32" lines, except for foiling where i use adjustables probably set at 25" (never measured it). Only use a waist harness.

Couple of related observations:

I used to have a chronic lower back problem and needed to use the old ortho neil pryde seat harness, never daring to even think of trying a waist harness. When I finally did try a waist harness I found it was positively helpful for my back problem - possibly as it forced me to adopt a better stance, using my core.

I found the move to longer harness lines to have made a huge positive improvement on tennis elbow type problems and worn out hands when I get a lot of time on the water (eg at Vass). People find this counterintuitive but I think long lines force you to use your harness properly all the time.