Narrow Dia Carbon boom

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Narrow Dia Carbon boom

Post by billyboy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 pm

I bought a duotone reduced diamater carbon boom a couple of weeks back. It was at least £100 cheaper than the alternatives so hard to justify any of the others! I'm yet to use it but they really are small diameter. I wouldn't mind betting you could wear thin gloves without getting forearm cramps...

Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:14 pm

I have GA Wave that I got at a great price courtesy of Bob at 4boards. After 2.5 yrs of use, on everything from 3.7-7.5 (150-210) I still like it a lot - except for the front end which I hate with a vengeance (rdm shim falls off when derigging and its rubber sticks to mast so you cant udge it up or down reliably by a few cm). Im planning to replace the front end with a streamlined one - saw a guy at Hayling who had done precisely that and loves it. Even then it would still have been great value versus a severne enigma.

My back up boom / foiling boom (adjustable lines) / wifes / daughters boom is a chinook alu - and I hate the rdm shim on that too! Its basically too tight for my Severne Gorilla masts. You have to really push it on with a lot of effort that neither my wife or daughter can manage.

Maybe I just need therapy.

deckchair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by deckchair » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm

interesting you should say that smidge my wife has the very same problem with our new chinook carbon RDG booms on tush and rrd masts. i am going to see whether the shim from our old Aeron booms might fit or its going under the knife

socialsailor
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by socialsailor » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I have several carbon narrow diameter booms, a Severne Enigma 140-190, a Goya Skinny 150-200 and just recently bought a Chinook RDG 170-220. I've had the Enigma the longest and it is still my favorite boom. Not a single complaint, except that I live in an area where I need to use sails with long booms. I've used it all the way out to 188 cm and it was fine. A smidgen bendy, but acceptable. The Goya is the 2nd best. I regularly use it out to 194 and it still feels pretty good at that extension. My only real complaint is the boom head. It has the Aeron boom head, which is the same as found on Chinook and many other boom. The Chinook RDG is a piece of art to look at, absolutely exquisite. The newly redesigned outhaul cleat is the best I've seen (though someone told me it is the same design as found on the North Platinum wave boom). The clips seem improved from the bigger diameter Chinook carbon boom I rented in Maui.

But but but I don't like it because it is as floppy as a noodle. I used it on my 6.7 sail (194 cm max boom) that I normally use with my Goya boom, and the boom was flexing all the time, and really badly flexing when a gust hit. I've never noticed floppiness on this sail with the Goya boom. So sad because I fell in love with this boom when I first saw it.

Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:02 pm

deckchair wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm
interesting you should say that smidge my wife has the very same problem with our new chinook carbon RDG booms on tush and rrd masts. i am going to see whether the shim from our old Aeron booms might fit or its going under the knife
I tried the knife (gently), and sanding down. Negligible difference

Gorgesailor
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Gorgesailor » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:59 pm

socialsailor wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:41 pm
I have several carbon narrow diameter booms, a Severne Enigma 140-190, a Goya Skinny 150-200 and just recently bought a Chinook RDG 170-220. I've had the Enigma the longest and it is still my favorite boom. Not a single complaint, except that I live in an area where I need to use sails with long booms. I've used it all the way out to 188 cm and it was fine. A smidgen bendy, but acceptable. The Goya is the 2nd best. I regularly use it out to 194 and it still feels pretty good at that extension. My only real complaint is the boom head. It has the Aeron boom head, which is the same as found on Chinook and many other boom. The Chinook RDG is a piece of art to look at, absolutely exquisite. The newly redesigned outhaul cleat is the best I've seen (though someone told me it is the same design as found on the North Platinum wave boom). The clips seem improved from the bigger diameter Chinook carbon boom I rented in Maui.

But but but I don't like it because it is as floppy as a noodle. I used it on my 6.7 sail (194 cm max boom) that I normally use with my Goya boom, and the boom was flexing all the time, and really badly flexing when a gust hit. I've never noticed floppiness on this sail with the Goya boom. So sad because I fell in love with this boom when I first saw it.
Have you contacted Chinook? Curious as I have rigged this boom & did not notice the flex so, I find this hard to believe? Though the boom is quite a bit wider than the others & this could actually make it less stiff. Also it is designed primarily as a foiling boom with it's wider freeride shape - not really ideal for wave sails either.

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by billyboy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:26 pm

I've used my new duotone now and am very impressed. Even though I already use carbon booms it felt noticeably stiffer and the narrow diameter really helps with forearm cramps and blister reduction (I am prone to both as I don;t sail very often!). Its a luxury purchase for sure but one that makes a real difference...

Hal9000

Post by Hal9000 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:43 pm

I was wondering if those kind of booms bend a lot; for exemple when pumping using a 140-190 with a 5.3 ? They look pretty but maybe you need a 150 and a 140..? any experience? thanks

BTB
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by BTB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Hal9000 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:43 pm
I was wondering if those kind of booms bend a lot; for exemple when pumping using a 140-190 with a 5.3 ? They look pretty but maybe you need a 150 and a 140..? any experience? thanks
I don't know why people buy 140 booms. Most 4.0m rig on a 150 and even a 3.7 will rig on one with a small gap (or no gap). MUch better to have a 150 with the extra stiffness and range.

Hal9000

Post by Hal9000 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:08 am

One boom for 3.7 to >5.0 may be appealing .. my 3.7 is 144 so yeah I agree a 150 could do the job..
also theoritically it should be a bit lighter, but if you lose too much stiffness not worth it yeah..