Narrow Dia Carbon boom

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
TwoFish
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Narrow Dia Carbon boom

Post by TwoFish » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:38 am

PK1111 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm
Jamesblonde wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:15 pm
My last alloy was a chinook one, fantastic bit of kit. I've now got a streamlined carbon, also fantastic. What would I buy next should the need arise, an alloy.
But will the need ever arise?
My carbon booms just seem to go on forever, even the cheaper models with the bonded head and arms rather than one piece designs!
I did have a reasonably priced one fall apart on me at the joins some years ago*. That convinced me only ever to buy one piece/ 'monocoque'.

*It didn't all go to waste as the carbon tail traveled from Manchester to the South Coast via a Boards forumite-to-forumite courier system and was put to use in someone else's boom down there.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:33 pm

I won't say which boom you should get since I sell them. But what I would say is that especially for a carbon boom make sure spares are available and likely to remain available. Make sure that he boom does not have bonded sections. A certain make is particularly bad for making their booms in sections then glueing them together. Most booms come from one or two factories in china. Nothing wrong with that but with the cheaper carbon booms quality issues can arise but normally problems become evident withing the first few times you use the boom. If it last 6 months it will probably go on and last 6 years.

If you are looking at the narrrow 25mm booms then there is less leeway for average manufacturing tolerances.

Asle
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Asle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:49 pm

I have had the al360 slim for several years. I understand they are made in Italy and nothing is compromiced according to quality.

After getting a boom with a 25mm grip I will never get anything wider. It is so nice. If you also sail during winter the slim grip makes useing gloves a joy.

Yes, my al360 was expensive, but if it breaks after so many years I will get a new one right away.

Thinking about gear, I think a nice boom really makes a difference to a set up. It is our direct conection to the kit and probably our most important feel and stearing tool.
Last edited by Asle on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly808
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Olly808 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:37 pm

I bought an ex demo gaastra slim pro boom 2 weeks ago from bob at 4boards at a price that was good enough to get me to upgrade from
Aluminium. Haven’t used it yet but it looks good and the skinny arms feel great. Worth checking if he has any more (it wasn’t the only one)

TOTD
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 am

I don’t see any carbon boom as being reasonable in price. They fall in expensive and more expensive.

The several I’ve seen that fall into the outrageous niche, are for those that can say, oh yea I have the Nuke carbon boom by..
Al360 or Chinook. That little dot means end of sentence, it’s a period.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Sailrepair
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Sailrepair » Thu May 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Carbon booms. No one can say if they are good value or a silly waste of money. If you have never broken a boom then unless you need the stiffness for racing it is likely to be the later. But I know a number of people who used to break alu boom every year and since moving onto carbon are getting 5 + years out of a boom so for those guys strong carbon booms are the cheapest option without a doubt.

Also alu booms have gone up in price a lot in the past year with most now around the £230 region for a decent one.

The worst value for booms are hybrid alu/carbon booms.

deckchair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by deckchair » Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 am

had a look at the chinook RDG booms last night . They are the ones ,don't stop me i gonna jump ,credit card be warned :D

PK1111
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by PK1111 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 pm

deckchair wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 am
had a look at the chinook RDG booms last night . They are the ones ,don't stop me i gonna jump ,credit card be warned :D
You won’t regret it.
Seriously strong and comfortable.
Also I think made in USA rather than China?

billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by billyboy » Fri May 03, 2019 4:15 pm

I have 3 carbon booms, all bought 2nd hand and all refusing to break after MANY years (except for the clips which can be replaced). I used to break alloy booms often enough that I didn't trust them to use them in winter if > than 18 months old so carbon has definitely been cheaper for me!

The trouble with very old carbon booms is the grip gets worn and/or abrasive. Does anyone re-grip carbon booms?

I've actually been thinking of treating myself to a lovely new, slim diameter one this year - as mentioned earlier, I think a quality boom makes a real difference and I've been putting up with uncomfortable grip for years now!

deckchair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by deckchair » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

sat 8th of june first test of the chinook RDG carbon booms 4.7 in the morning bump and jump . 4.2 in the evening on the foils . What a difference why didn't i do this years ago, brilliant time was had by. all plus's. Only slight draw back will finding the money to pay the mortgage and bills at the end of the month.