WindSUP + van + beer gut

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: WindSUP + van + beer gut

Post by ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 am

TwoFish wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm
I never did report back. So, in the end, I picked up a second hand Sea Lion XL a few weeks ago. That has of course guaranteed a complete absence of weekend swell ever since, so windSUPing has yet to happen. Thanks all for the input here; helpful and appreciated.
Bruno Andre on the Sealion and using it with the AFS Surf foil.

Smidge
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:42 am

I have the 133 litre Starboard 4 in 1. I havent had much chance to use it yet - and havent windsup'd it - although suspect it would be interesting for float and ride in non planing conditions on mushy swell type stuff.

In SUP mode I would say, for me as a very basic SUPer and weighing 90kgs, I definitely wouldnt want anything smaller or less wide just for the basics of being able to stay on it. Thus far I have only SUP'd it in flattish water as I try to get used to it - going along is fine (although of course it doesnt hold a straight line, or skim unless you paddle like mad - but thats not what its for), but requires real focus and tight turning is improving but ends up wet a third of the time. I dread to think how I will cope with a more wavy environment - learning curve will be steep! Suspect I will be on my knees on the way out. None of that was unexpected, or is a criticism of the board. I knowingly put myself on a very steep SUP learning curve, and falling in at this time of the year is fun (and entertains the bystanders).

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am

Smidge wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:42 am
I have the 133 litre Starboard 4 in 1. I havent had much chance to use it yet - and havent windsup'd it - although suspect it would be interesting for float and ride in non planing conditions on mushy swell type stuff.

In SUP mode I would say, for me as a very basic SUPer and weighing 90kgs, I definitely wouldnt want anything smaller or less wide just for the basics of being able to stay on it. Thus far I have only SUP'd it in flattish water as I try to get used to it - going along is fine (although of course it doesnt hold a straight line, or skim unless you paddle like mad - but thats not what its for), but requires real focus and tight turning is improving but ends up wet a third of the time. I dread to think how I will cope with a more wavy environment - learning curve will be steep! Suspect I will be on my knees on the way out. None of that was unexpected, or is a criticism of the board. I knowingly put myself on a very steep SUP learning curve, and falling in at this time of the year is fun (and entertains the bystanders).
I started on a smallish SUP too - 115x 7'6". I started on my knees and learned the paddle stroke to make the board go straight paddling on one side and even turn in a circle to the paddling side. Learned to get some speed and put both hands on the deck with the paddle blade at the correct angle so it wouldn't catch as I stood up. I haven't got switching to surf stance and back sorted properly on the small board, but it seems easier to do on a faster board. Stability increases with speed, and my 103x7'2" is very slow. It is so power hungry for windSUP that it is not a lot of fun - it is mostly non-planing sailing, but it does give me something useful to do in light winds. The more rearward the fins, the easier it is to paddle on one side and make it go straight.

Duncan Adam
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Duncan Adam » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

TwoFish, when you were collecting the sails the other day from me, I thought you might have to cut down on the pies and red wine. :D

PK1111
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by PK1111 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Duncan Adam wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am
TwoFish, when you were collecting the sails the other day from me, I thought you might have to cut down on the pies and red wine. :D
Pot / kettle? 🧐

wully
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by wully » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Duncan Adam wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am
He’s probably on some weird white wine and pie diet since it’s summertime?