Free what?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
wully
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 30 times

Free what?

Post by wully » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm

Freestyle Wave
Free Race
Free ride
Free Move

Where does the crossover between free whatever categories happen?

Who decides?

Is a Free Move a FSW for a fat bloke?

If a Free Race just a harder to gybe Free Move?

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Free what?

Post by BTB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am

I dont know.

But having boards aimed at the less extreme performance end of the spectrum where they have a bigger range of use and are generally easier to use and live with is a big plus.

We dont all live on Maui and drive round in a truck full of sponsor supplied gear. If you can only fit 1 or 2 boards on a roof rack then some sort of free something is probably the way to go. The names might be daft but the concept is welcomed.

Calling them boards for fat lads might not help shift as many but then in the world of cycling there is the brand known as Fat Lad at the Back - https://fatladattheback.com/

Asle
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Asle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:19 pm

We can just say style, wave, race and easyride. "Free" does not ad anything.

DaveMac
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by DaveMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:55 pm

To me it is all marketing bs. But then they have to find some kind of language, and "free" appeals to me. Freestyle is used in all kinds of activities, I have no problem with that. Think free really means the opposite of pure, or dedicated.....But free move? Yet free ride is okay, that appeals, out and out fun to explore. Don't like free race, sounds like more bs. But the difference between free wave and freestyle wave.......hmmmmm......bs. They are my kind of boards yet I'm a south coast groove rider who tries the odd wiggle (badly).

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm

You forgot FRee- Style.

A good point, at one time when Moby Dick were a minnow, the class FSW didn’t exist, it was convertible, not to be confused with roadster, which also has a top that goes down. Convertible was the early FSW board.

A Freeride for the most part, generally speaking, at this point in time, to the best of my knowledge is oriented towards back and forth, not so much up and down or around.
A FSW is a crossover , from a wave board( which is clear of purpose) a combination of wave , freestyle, and bump and jump, the 3S, means Three Style, which is as good as a definition gets.
Free- move, is clearly not defined, in black or white, it’s a hazy grey. Insert someone’s def here...I give up on that one!
Free Race WTF , it’s not a race board, but some less honed , more Freeride.

I tend to agree with the opinion that it’s marketing BS. How kool is it to say you have a free race board instead of a board that goes fast?
It does make looking for a new H2O weapon, at times a frustrating experience .
My office hours are 9-5 MST.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 pm

The character does change with a sailors weight, ability, and use in specific water states. As: a Formula board used as Freeride, a wave used as a FSW.
A freestyle like use as a FSW.
Blond or redhead !
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

abitwindy
Been liked: 1 time

Post by abitwindy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 pm

This is what i think

Freestyle Wave
Good bump and jump board in choppy water , works ok flat water blasting.

Free Race
Same as or similar to salmon board with out loads of fins and dedicated sails.

Free ride
works well blasting in flat to choppy water.

Free Move
easy to sail free ride board , but not as fast.

PK1111
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by PK1111 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm

I guess it’s helpful if there is general acceptance about what each category means.
Some of the names aren’t too great, and indeed some boards don’t easily fit into the categories, but it’s ok as far as it goes.

Take the FSW category.
I’ve never seen anyone popping freestyle on one, and it’s pretty rare to see one being ridden in quality waves!
But mostly, we know it refers to a rounded planshape board, with enough curves to be smooth in chop, go round the corners ok, but the flat rocker to get planing earlier and go faster than a wave board.
Convertible would be a better name to reflect their ability to morph with footstrap and fin changes, but hey ho, I guess it’s better than Wave Slalom!

The free move category falls closest to marketing bs, but these boards tend to be easier to turn than freerides (if those even exist now) .

So I’m ok with the naming and categories.
The brands websites make the grouping easy to understand, even for novices.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:50 pm

I ve seen lots doing freestyle on a FSW, including a Witchy Chakra , in tri fin mode.

Not to be confused with me... I only do those moves by accident !
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Richarli
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Richarli » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm old enough to remember when fsw's were called wave/slalom.
However I think freerace is actually a good term, the Futura for instance is bloody fast but handles chop really well in the hands of an intermediate wheareas a full on slalom board would be unmanageable in the same hands.