Free race boards

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
abitwindy
Been liked: 1 time

Free race boards

Post by abitwindy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:02 am

Hi all

Ive owed a 112 fire move for a couple of years and used this with a 7m ezzy cheetah and 5.8 elite , next board down is a 105rrd fsw.

I found the fire move not that exciting to be honest , it didn't really plane that early or was that fast and once i was powered on it i could probably step down to the 105 fsw.
Ive been looking at 120 ish sb futuras , what are your thoughts on theses boards, will it be much difference in top speed and early planning compared to the fire move.

Its going to be my light wind set up at 67kgs , i did try a slalom board a few years ago and loved it but didn't want to go down that route as it seems to get very complicated.

Cheers

PhilN
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Free race boards

Post by PhilN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:28 pm

It depends on where you sail. I find wider boards ok in Poole Harbour but on the open sea (even at Branksome it is relatively sheltered) they can get a bit bouncy when its a bit windy.
I'm 78kg and used to sail with a 7.5m on a Falcon 125l/73cm wide in lighter winds, but had a 110l/66cm board for when well powered up with that sail.
These days my board for a 7.5m Lion is a 110l/67cm wide Exocet. But I've also got a bigger setup (8.5m 125l/80cm) for lighter winds. If I didnt have the bigger setup, I still dont think I'd go wider than 70cm. Go too wide for a relatively small 7m sail and it wont feel balanced. When well powered up too wide and bouncy for comfort.
So for your weight with a 7m Cheetah I wouldn't go much wider than 70cm. So that would be a 107l/71cm Futura, or if you stick with RRD a Firestorm 120/70cm. I had a go on a Severne Fox 120l/70cm and that felt good with a 7.5m.
With a bit of active pumping a freerace will plane fine, be faster and feel a lot more exciting than a wider freemove type board.

abitwindy
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Free race boards

Post by abitwindy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for the info Phil, ill see what's around and look at width and not just volume.

The last comment is what i really wanted to hear!