Bye bye Starboard Ultrakode 80, what next?

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
gasppol
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Bye bye Starboard Ultrakode 80, what next?

Post by gasppol » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:07 pm

(new to this forum, was a avid boards forum reader before)

So, long history short: I've a 2018 Starboard UltraKode 80 LCF. I love it performance-wise, but the construction is crap. Total deck delamination after 25 sessions. I will try to repair it (warranty claim does not work, the year period is over).
My options here in Argentina to replace it for the next season are 2020 boards (there is no way of importing something older in a cheap way here):

- Keep on the Starboard game: I'm a little too angry. My other Kode Freewave Carbon 2016 is pure bliss and have hard construction, but this newer boards are crap. I was in Cape Town with up to four other sailors that has those boards and all of us have delamination problems.
- Changing to Fanatic Grip. Any thoughts on the difference between the UltraKode and the Grip?
- Changing to JP Ultimate Wave o JP Slate. The tail of the Ultimate scares me. And never saw a Slate in action. Why?
- Going to Quattro Qube or Goya Custom: They are more expensive in Argentina, but the owners are in love with them.

Any help? Little background: wave-sailor wanna-be. 80kgs. 4.7, 4.2, 3.7. Already have a bigger FSW 94 lts board.

Thanks!

PhilN
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Bye bye Starboard Ultrakode 80, what next?

Post by PhilN » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Bad luck about the board, although if you have found 4 others who have had an issue with the LCF construction it doesn't sound like luck. That construction was new for 2018 and doesn't seem to appear for 2019.
Theres no point in them congratulating themselves about low carbon footprint technology if you have to buy a new board every 25 sessions.
https://windsurf.star-board.com/wp-cont ... ressed.pdf

Can't comment on board design and performance but I'd say stick to manufacturers who use tried and tested methods. I dont think this is the first time Starboard have introduced a new lay-up and it wasn't durable so dropped it.

Richarli
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Richarli » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Is it me? For all the hi-tech pronouncements the boards aren't a bit lighter than they were 10 years ago and they were bigger then.
I can't help thinking that we've gone backwards.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:41 pm

gasppol wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:07 pm
(new to this forum, was a avid boards forum reader before)

So, long history short: I've a 2018 Starboard UltraKode 80 LCF. I love it performance-wise, but the construction is crap. Total deck delamination after 25 sessions. I will try to repair it (warranty claim does not work, the year period is over).
My options here in Argentina to replace it for the next season are 2020 boards (there is no way of importing something older in a cheap way here):

- Keep on the Starboard game: I'm a little too angry. My other Kode Freewave Carbon 2016 is pure bliss and have hard construction, but this newer boards are crap. I was in Cape Town with up to four other sailors that has those boards and all of us have delamination problems.
- Changing to Fanatic Grip. Any thoughts on the difference between the UltraKode and the Grip?
- Changing to JP Ultimate Wave o JP Slate. The tail of the Ultimate scares me. And never saw a Slate in action. Why?
- Going to Quattro Qube or Goya Custom: They are more expensive in Argentina, but the owners are in love with them.

Any help? Little background: wave-sailor wanna-be. 80kgs. 4.7, 4.2, 3.7. Already have a bigger FSW 94 lts board.

Thanks!

Sucks about the delamination. A friend of mine had the same problem with his older Kode Waves. My 77l Kode Wave I had didn’t delaminates but the finboxes are absolutely terrible quality wise.

About a replacement: Grip is a pretty different feel of board, pretty much as fast once you’ve got some wind, but a more settled, wavey feeling compared to ultrakode which is quite bouncy.

Wave Slate will most likely be faster than the Ultrakode (I haven’t tested them back to back) but again a totally different feel. The U Kode will feel very traditional when compared to the new school slate. I think after a little while of getting used to it you’ll prefer it, but it’s all down to you.

Goya Quads are very very sticky compared to the Ultra Kodes, better for powered up performance in small waves or in really good down the line conditions, but not good for marginal days. The Goya thruster will give you better marginal performance but again it’s more wavey and slower than the Kode. The Cube is good for onshore but not as good at straight line as the Starboard, especially when the latter is set up as a Thruster.

Lastly the Ultimate Wave, my personal favourite! Not as sticky as the Goya but if you put the production quad fins in the right place you can make it super super settled in high winds. It won’t plane as fast as the Starboard but is all round a much better board, as it has a much higher top end and somehow doesn’t sacrifice much performance in onshore conditions, especially with 10cm fronts which give a lot of lift, and a bigger thruster fin which will be better for the marginal days.

If you want something a little wavier than tea ultrakode I’d say go for the Grip or the Ultimate Wave, but if you want good onshore performance in lighter winds go for the Wave Slate. I’d also say if you really like the Starboard, speak to a Dany Bruch (the designer) who’s just started his new brand, Bruch Boards. I sailed the 75 and 85 models of his Madness design, which is an Ultrakode with better wave performance. It planes like a bat out of hell, and was super nice on the wave, but I felt it needed a bigger more powerful sailor (or a smaller board, closer to your bodyweight) to really work on the wave face, but that’s the same with the Starboard. I’m only 60kg so I like something like the JP Ultimate Wave which does feel quite small and twitchy for its size. But if you’re a bigger or even average sailor, and you like the Ultra Kode, then I would definitely recommend the Bruchs as they’re all of the good things of the Ultrakode but better!

Hopefully you find something you like! :)

gasppol
Been liked: 1 time

Post by gasppol » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:58 pm

What a comprehensive answer Ruaraidh_K257!
Great info on your post! Thanks a lot.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 pm

No worries! Glad to help