Board design by Ola H.

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Board design by Ola H.

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 am

That’s a very nice turn Ola. Definitely a wonderful feeling... when the stars align and I don’t wipe out halfway through 🤣
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Dkarl

Post by Dkarl » Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi Ola, the board in the sequenz looks like a freegal outline. Is that right?

Ola H.
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Ola H. » Mon May 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Dkarl wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi Ola, the board in the sequenz looks like a freegal outline. Is that right?
Quite close. Just 1.5cms narrower and a 3 cms shorter than a Freegal 80. And quite a bit more rocker, softer rails and a deeper concave. So it comes around a bit quicker than the Freegal, but as seen in the top turn pic a few posts up, the Freegal does a good top turn too. In fact, the Freegal is easier when you want to put in some power because he straighter tail offers more stability, but the Frugal stays super loose and requires a bit more finesse.

Dkarl

Post by Dkarl » Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks Ola, nice.
Than this maybe would be my board! I have the freegal 80 and often I wished it would be a bit less in width. One cm or so. I'm 65-68kg and for me the freegal 80 could be a little bit easier to press through a tight side onshore top turn.
I run it as a trifin with 10cm K4 Ezzys 1° and the standard 16 cm in the rear.
But I like the harmonic outline very much. And it is a very good light wind board for me.

Ola H.

Post by Ola H. » Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Dkarl wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 pm
Thanks Ola, nice.
Than this maybe would be my board! I have the freegal 80 and often I wished it would be a bit less in width. One cm or so. I'm 65-68kg and for me the freegal 80 could be a little bit easier to press through a tight side onshore top turn.
I run it as a trifin with 10cm K4 Ezzys 1° and the standard 16 cm in the rear.
But I like the harmonic outline very much. And it is a very good light wind board for me.
Maybe you're interested in this one. Same rocker as the Frugal on the previous pic, but 55.5 and with a funky sci-fi style tail. Very good though.

Last edited by Ola H. on Wed May 15, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PK1111
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by PK1111 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am

Good looking boards Ola.

I notice the r&d shapes you’ve discussed so far are of a similar size, and the riders are all highly skilled.

Do you have a process for scaling designs especially for larger boards, eg is it just a computer design job, or do you undertake real world testing and feedback?

Ola H.

Post by Ola H. » Thu May 09, 2019 4:53 pm

PK1111 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:41 am
Good looking boards Ola.

I notice the r&d shapes you’ve discussed so far are of a similar size, and the riders are all highly skilled.

Do you have a process for scaling designs especially for larger boards, eg is it just a computer design job, or do you undertake real world testing and feedback?
Only the boards for myself starts this small. The boards I make for Kai is often around 83-85 which is his standard size. With Marc Pare Rico, the starting point is usually a board around 85 but he rides boards from 78-94 so. Two of the people working at Simmer who also test a lot of boards are around 90 and close to 100, so we have riders of most weights. Different boards that have ended up in production has started out at different volumes. The first board in the previous Fly proto sequence was a 92 for Marcus Rydberg. The first current fly proto was an 85 for Marc Pare. The first Cortex was a 78 for me, the first Freegal was a 100 custom for a friend of mine. The first Frugal a 77, and so on.

Typically I develop the idea at some size. Perhaps someone else also want a custom at some other size. Then I scale and we test the key sizes.

I don't do scaling the same way with all boards. But my standard is to increase width 2cm for every ten liters and length 2cm per size too. Then I use thickness to get the volume on target. Rockers are not really scaled, but I kind of extend them in the middle, normally, so each bigger size gets a bit more support under the mast foot to carry bigger sails and heavier riders better. But again, I might do this differently depending on the model.

Here are the 72, 78, 85 and 92 of the current Fly

As you can see, they are relatively evenly scaled up in nose length but only the 72 has a shorter tail. Widths are 55, 56.8, 58 and 59, so the 72 is also comparatively narrower. The 72 is simply a bit of a special board in the line, a bit more radical and specifically made for smaller sailors. The 92 has a little bit flatter rocker than the other too.
Last edited by Ola H. on Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BillG
Has liked: 24 times

Post by BillG » Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm

As a super light weight (56 kilos) I've always wondered how much testing sub 70L boards ever get. I assume they are tested by heavier weight sailors in stronger winds or by the top women. I guess Sarah Hilder is pretty light, have Simmer ever made a sub 70 L production board?

It's a shame that Tabou have Thomas Traversa sailing for them and they don't make sub 70L's.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:07 pm

BillG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm
As a super light weight (56 kilos) I've always wondered how much testing sub 70L boards ever get. I assume they are tested by heavier weight sailors in stronger winds or by the top women. I guess Sarah Hilder is pretty light, have Simmer ever made a sub 70 L production board?

It's a shame that Tabou have Thomas Traversa sailing for them and they don't make sub 70L's.

Not sure about any of the other brands but Fanatic and JP’s sun 70l boards are tested pretty thoroughly. Fanatic has its 68l and 60l Grip models which are well used by their youth team in Pozo, and the 69l Ultimate Wave and 60l Young Guns Quad are used by the Schettewi brothers in Maui. So both of those brands you have a pretty even amount of testing going into all the sizes. I was speaking to one of the bigger guys who works for TWS in El Medano, a pretty good wavesailor. He said that the 85 and 95 versions of a certain brand’s waveboard were superb, as that was what the designer sailed himself. But none of the other sizes got any R&D as all the other riders were the same size. He said that the smaller sizes and bigger sizes were designed purely theoretically as smaller and bigger versions of the 85 and 95, with no special testing for the sizes, which I thought was a bit off.

But Simmer don’t make any sub 70l boards besides customs, but I imagine if they did the feedback from the sailors riding the custom sizes would influence the design of the production board so it would be a pretty good board, the same with Tabou. I guess the trick would be to look at what sizes the team riders and designers are riding to get a good idea of which brand’s board is likely to be best for you.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Ola H.

Post by Ola H. » Thu May 09, 2019 9:08 pm

BillG wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Such small boards sell in very small numbers and it's pretty much better to make customs (which is normally not much more expensive). Simmer did a Fly 69 and a Frugal 66 before in production. I'm 70 kg myself but tend to sail rather small boards and rode both of them a lot. Not only in high wind but in pretty light wind too (sub planing, float and ride).

Here is from a super light wind Hookipa day in 2012 on the original proto for the Fly69. I still have it. Great board if anyone is interested...