Starboard construction is sub par

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
socialsailor
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 10 times

Starboard construction is sub par

Post by socialsailor »

Beware, don't buy the Kode Wood. Practically brand new 2021 Kode 125. Was not a catapult. Happened getting out of the water. I can't really explain how it happened. A wave came from behind as I was standing in the shallows about to pick it up and carry it out of the water. I'm guessing the front of the board hit the mast? But to do that kind of damage with a piece of white water?
Attachments
IMG_3701.jpg
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Starboard construction is sub par

Post by BTB »

That's a bumber. Any chance of a warranty?
socialsailor

Post by socialsailor »

Starboard replied that because the damage was caused by an impact, any damage is not covered by the warranty.
socialsailor

Post by socialsailor »

It doesn't look like the area that broke has a sandwich. Is that normal in the nose area?
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Surely any damage is caused by an impact. Things don't tend to self implode. Is the board built for purpose? Would it be expected to survive this encounter? Sounds like it to me .
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 »

A friend of mine broke 6 starboard ultrakodes in their eco construction within a year or two. Problem upon problem upon problem. They kept trying to shaft him over the warranty and now he’s trying to sue them. Avoid starboard eco boards like the plague...
17, Scottish wavesailor
Manu
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Manu »

You can ask renting centers that offer starboards?
Wood models seem to last. I have a carbon which had its issues and a wave wood which is ok apart from a soft strap insert. I also had a wood formula which did ok despite lots of abuse.

Since most boards come from the same factory, do their requirements, in terms of quality checks, differ that much?
FKPhil
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by FKPhil »

I hope Isonics are built better or Tomek is going to be right royally pissed off

Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

Thing is, waves can cause massive forces. This is true even of small ones. The a wave hits the earth the pressure is massive. If something it between the two there are going to be winners and losers. Not suggesting they are the best boards out there, not by a long shot. However, there are times when even the strongest kit will succumb to the forces of nature, even when those forces on the surface may appear innocuous.
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

I'd agree with above where there is a random element of kit destruction. My sails are hanging together by bits of thread, remnants of glue and tape. I've been rinsed numerous times and thought that must have washed right through the panel. But they are fine - as is my 2009 RRD board that i still use.

I'd warn against generalisations from online forums where small numbers of users can give a distorted view - but this is not the first starboard issue i have seen raised.