Lightweight + high wind

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Lightweight + high wind

Post by Screamer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi there

Maybe some of you have some experience - what would a lightweight sailor (55kg) ride in 30-40 knots? She is comfortable riding 85 l boards, trying a few 75s lately, waterstarting, gybes are very clumsy (mostly falling off). She has not been sailing in gales yet, but the progress is there, and she is thinking about sub 70l at some point in the future.
Conditions: no proper waves to speak of, just horrible lumpy moguls, sometimes a nice swell develops. My mates of 65-75 kilos are on 72-78 l boards, it seems that RRD firewaves in small sizes (discontinued) are well liked for b/j. I've heard good things about Tabou Pockets. I know fsw's stop at 78 litres or so.
Witchcraft is not an option (or customs), any suggestions?

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Lightweight + high wind

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:53 pm

The advantage of being light is you can sail a rather radical board, that would sink/stall for a larger rider, with relative ease. And the typical quad setup and narrow tails make them supremely controllable.

56kg BillG has a 66l Moo Custom which works really well for him in everything from 50 knots to 10.

I’m using a 69l JP Ultimate Wave (I’m between 60-62kg depending how many pies I’ve eaten :D ) in almost everything and it works a treat. It’s a quad with a very narrow tail and it needs just a little bit of front foot and mast foot pressure to get it going/keep it going in light winds but offers total control when it’s windy. Mine is a custom with a tiny bit more rocker, slightly thinner rails and a little less length as it’s designed for a very skilled rider (more skilled than me I’ve got to say!), but I’d say if a more inexperienced lightweight sailor would get the same feel sailing the production 69 as I do on my custom version.

Something around 69-73 litres with a narrower tail will give her good results. There will definitely be a steepish learning curve of keeping it planing through lulls but sailing small boards improves your technique massively... when I was around 55 kg I jumped from a 90l board down to a 60 and after a short adjustment period where I very quickly learned that mast foot pressure was important, I could sail it with no problem. At that point I was doing very basic waverides, small jumps and dropping 90% of my gybes. I can confidently say I wouldn’t be where I am now if hadn’t taken the leap onto the smaller board; it shows up all of your bad habits and you can get instant feedback from the equipment rather than being able to practice mistakes.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

BillG
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by BillG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:36 am

As Ru says I'm 56 kilos and my favourite board is my 66L Moo which I use probably 90% of the time. I'm planing happily from 18-19 mph with a 4.7 and have used it in winds up to 50 mph (the board was fine, borrowed 2.7 sail was the problem, too twitchy!). I also have a 75L JP single thruster which I only use for extreme float and ride with my 4.7 (my biggest wave sail), I can bog about in a couple of MPH less than the 66L but change back when the wind picks up as the 75 feels too big.

You have to take what Ru says about learning with a pinch of salt as he's been windsurfing since he was about 2, sails when he should be studying and these youths learn super quick anyway. He's right that once you get use to it a small board is easier to sail (for a light weight) and much more fun but it's probably best to get the hang of gybing etc, on a 75ish board first.

I still have my old RRD 66L wave twin which I retired due to a small crack in the deck (so I don't feel I should sell it). If your wife? wants to experiment with a sub 70L board you can take it away F.O.C. if you can collect it from Tooting SW London. It's a great board, the favourite amongst reviewers at the time and it should last a good while as long as you don't jump it (I don't loop but I like to jump as high as I can hence it's replacement).

When I bought it there were loads of sub 70L boards on ebay but you don't see so many now, your best bet is Boardwise. I'd definitely recommend a multifin of some sort as they work better in high winds for light people. I prefer Tri fins but which ever you choose will take a bit of getting used to as you need to adjust your stance etc.

TOTD
Been liked: 23 times

Post by TOTD » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:11 pm

40kts is 46mph.

This nukelear.

65–69liters
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Screamer
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Screamer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks guys

Totd yes that's nuclear, but only peak gusts, average is around 30.
BillG thanks for the offer that's generous. I will PM you. Of course she will practice on 75 first, do you think that rrd twin will be well suited for bumpy chaos, no proper waves in sight? Is it not too skatey/slidey/squirelly
Btw she is not a wife, just a friend and windsurfing gals are rare enough.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:12 pm

If she likes Bill’s 66, but as he’s not selling it, we have a 69l Quatro Quad from a few years back that we’re selling quite cheaply. It’s seen a lot of use but it’s still intact and just has a lot of cosmetic scrapes over it. It’s VERY settled and controlled in high winds, even more so than any board I’ve used. It needs a good wave to waveride but for sailing overpowered in chop it’s probably one of the best boards for her.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

BillG
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by BillG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Screamer wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 pm

BillG thanks for the offer that's generous. I will PM you. Of course she will practice on 75 first, do you think that rrd twin will be well suited for bumpy chaos, no proper waves in sight? Is it not too skatey/slidey/squirelly
Btw she is not a wife, just a friend and windsurfing gals are rare enough.
It's pretty good in chop once you get the hang of it, quite a fast rocker and it will turn nicely on chop. I used to use K4 rocket fins which make it more stable and help it go upwind.

Ola H.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Ola H. » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:21 am

I still have the original proto for the original Simmer Fly 69 sitting around at home. Quad only. Not really an ultra calm and collected board. Rather quite effective. But compared to most production boards of 75 liters+, a real gem for a smaller sailor.

Probably not too expensive to ship to GBR and I can sell it cheap, say 250 euro.

Pic from a light wind Hookipa session alone with Bernd Roediger.