Starboard construction is sub par

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
JB:)
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Starboard construction is sub par

Post by JB:) »

Social sailor. Where are you based? Can I help?

I'm on the IOW.

I think more and more of the modern boards are getting thinner lighter sandwiches. It helps bring down the weight, but reduces strength. It is frustrating from a durability point of view, but it is likely you have a lighter board than you would have had 10 years ago.

Building boards is all about compromise.

If I can help please shout.

JB
Pad IoW
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Pad IoW »

I tend to agree with DA above. If the nose was held down on the beach, & white water lifted the back, then not much of a wave can exert a huge force. However, I had an Airush eco kiteboard (excuse the language there) & it's construction was appalling! I now wouldn't get another Airush board as though other boards may be ok, these particular boards should never have been released. Had the same with a North (Duotone) board, so those are black listed for me as well (i have an old fanatic wave board that is very strong though) It would seem I judge a company on the worst boards they might release, & I would avoid an "eco" board as well, as if it's not up to the intended use, it ain't eco.
Ola H.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Ola H. »

socialsailor wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:49 pm Starboard replied that because the damage was caused by an impact, any damage is not covered by the warranty.
I reckon you should have a pro take a look at it. What happens sometimes on production boards is that the laminate gets too dry in some spots and then strengs suffers a lot. Usually you can see if the laminate is too dry. Then it should be a warranty more or less regardless of how the damage happened because there is a production error involved.
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

Ola H. wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:50 am
socialsailor wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:49 pm Starboard replied that because the damage was caused by an impact, any damage is not covered by the warranty.
I reckon you should have a pro take a look at it. What happens sometimes on production boards is that the laminate gets too dry in some spots and then strengs suffers a lot. Usually you can see if the laminate is too dry. Then it should be a warranty more or less regardless of how the damage happened because there is a production error involved.
Ola.

When you say dry - do you mean that the cloth has not been wetted out by the resin and you can see lose fibres fraying from the damaged area. I have seen issues like that.
Ola H.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Ola H. »

BTB wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:17 pm

Ola.

When you say dry - do you mean that the cloth has not been wetted out by the resin and you can see lose fibres fraying from the damaged area. I have seen issues like that.
Yes. But with some types of breakages, fiber might be pulled out from the resin and look dry. But of you carefully lift the laminates close to the damage and feel that they separate easily and also there can see spots of dry fiber, then the laminate was too dry from the beginning.