Windsurfer LT.. A new beginning or another dead end ?

The place to discuss the art of longboard sailing and racing
deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Windsurfer LT.. A new beginning or another dead end ?

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am

:D
ok lostboy you carry on arguing the merits of video tape, VHS or Beta

i'm watching Netflix

Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Lostboy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:16 pm

deckchair wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am
:D
ok lostboy you carry on arguing the merits of video tape, VHS or Beta

i'm mowing the lawn
Corrected for accuracy.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:36 pm

ok lostinthe80's you win

Chris 249
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Chris 249 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:55 am

Lostboy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm
It's a sad fact that the Kona OD is a better allround design
How much sailing you have done on the LT, compared to the time you've spent on the Kona? The LT has a different style and maybe takes a different approach if it is to be appreciated. The Kona is a fine board but quite different in its philosophy to the LT. The Kona is more of a hybrid whereas the LT is an out-and-out unashamed longboard. Sure it's an old concept in some ways, but fine wine, good whisky, succulent steak and great sex are also old concepts - that doesn't mean they are not fun.

After sailing the Kona a bunch of times over the couple of weeks I was loaned one, and sailing the LT regularly for a few months, I'd say it all depends on the individual sailor's preference and the conditions. In light wind the LT feels much better to me because the Kona's tail causes a lot of fuss. Upwind in marginal and strong stuff I would still go LT because of the drag of the ducktail, unless it's very strong and you go upwind on the fin. Downwind, it would strictly be whatever one happened to prefer in medium winds, and probably the Kona in strong winds. The Kona may well be better for strong wind BAFfing; the LT is probably faster tacking and therefore arguably more tactical. The rigs are so different that it would get down to personal preference; I happen to like the light and twitchy LT rig over the Kona's heavy camless sail, but if other people have different preferences then good on them.

The LT is currently selling about twice as fast as the Kona did over its early years, although those Kona numbers are a bit vague and the sales of the LT may of course slow down. The LT sold half as many boards inside its first year as the RSX did, and the RSX numbers dropped from 1500+ to 300+ after year 1 once all the potential Olympians got their first boards. Obviously we don't know how the class will go, but interest outside the class' old strongholds seems to be strong. The LT may well prove to be a better allround mass-production ONE design.

Lostboy

Post by Lostboy » Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm

The honest answer is not enough. I still have spent enough time on it and various "old school" longboards (I still have Mistral Competitions amongst others) to know what the differences are.

For most people the Kona is the better alternative because they are completely focused on the planing performance but it will still displacement sail to an adequate standard. If I were to spend a lot of time in sub-planing winds and wanted to focus on freestyle and mucking about generally then I would (and do) use the Mistrals. I'd also use an LT. I'm not quite sure what issue you're having with the Kona's ducktail in stronger winds upwind - railing it completely eliminates the fact that it's there and it cuts a very good line. The lack of a variable track is a bit shit and you have to manage the rail engagement of the front of the board as a result - something that you don't have to on a raceboard - but the LT has that issue as well.

Regardless of the differences we are clearly agreed that longboards have a place in any sensible windsurfers quiver!

Chris 249
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Chris 249 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:05 am

I still felt the Kona's ducktail even when railing. My two arch-rivals went to the Kona worlds after I sailed one and both finished second in their division the first time they ever stepped on one. Since they were obviously fully on the pace instantly and I'm consistently between them in races I don't think I was sailing the Kona badly.

To me the lack of a mast track is like the lack of gears on a single speed bike or the lack of rear suspension on a hardtail - the simplicity is part of the appeal.

I think we'll have to wait until we work out which is an "inferior" design, but like you I'm just happy to see the longboards doing well. It's not that long ago that there was not a single longboard in production and people on the Starboard forum were threatening to punch out anyone who sailed one. Times have changed!

Lostboy

Post by Lostboy » Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 am

Still not sure how you felt the ducktail when railing. I've always felt that it's much more the combination of the curve in the rail and the lack of volume where it's thinned out (which obviously the duck has an influence on) that means that it's a just a bit more sensitive to weight positioning on the rail and it digging in if you have a little too much back foot pressure. On my old Lightnings and Comps I can stomp up and down the rail almost with impunity but I do have to be a little more focused on the Kona.

As I said I don't think either design is inferior. They're different and my gut feeling remains that the Kona should (have*) appealed to most windsurfers because of it's superior planing performance.

*for some reason, and you alluded to it in your post and there some of the same negativity on this thread, apparently it's considered preferable to "make do" much inferior products not designed to perform with a sail or that can only be used to mow the lawn. Hence the problems that the Kona had and the LT may find with market penetration.