Windsurfer LT.. A new beginning or another dead end ?

The place to discuss the art of longboard sailing and racing
SaltyK957
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Windsurfer LT.. A new beginning or another dead end ?

Post by SaltyK957 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Windsurfer LT ?

Will it gain any traction in the UK market ?
Could it ever become an active fleet ?
Anyone actually sailed one in the UK ?

https://www.windsurferclass.com/listino/

Lostboy
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Windsurfer LT.. A new beginning or another dead end ?

Post by Lostboy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

SaltyK957 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am
What are everyone's thoughts on the new Windsurfer LT ?

Will it gain any traction in the UK market ? No
Could it ever become an active fleet ? No
Anyone actually sailed one in the UK ? If I knew where to find one I would have by now.

https://www.windsurferclass.com/listino/
It's a sad fact that the Kona OD is a better allround design but got no traction whatsoever so I really can't see the Windsurfer getting any either - hence my rather negative response. The UK would rather toss around trying to mow the lawn on foils than use a long board.

SaltyK957
Been liked: 4 times

Post by SaltyK957 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Cant disagree with anything you say.....I think we have lost all the guys who may of been interested to other sports and let's be honest...age....when we had decent active fleets across the uk it was 30 years ago.....most will either be sitting down sailing or have just stopped completely.

Its a shame as I see various "revivals" going on across the world with "windsurfer" events plus one off events like https://www.oudedeurensurfcup.nl/

I will just go back to sailing my old fleet when the sun is shining and the temp is "double digit" and just leave everyone standing at NWF whilst I disappear on a 30 year old Div 2 board. ;)

GraemeF
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by GraemeF » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I heard Dee was going to have a go with it, so I backed off, by the time it became obvious he wasn't, it has apparently gone to Starboard so it'll join their stable, maybe they'll get it going, but I doubt with the number crunchers on their backs they'll have the wherewithall to do what is necessary to get it going.

It would need a couple of dozen demonstrators, a decent sponsor and a few events organised to really get it moving, all things available to us back in the day, but not quite so ready these days to see the future of no longer 'the worlds fastest growing watersport'. (Unless you lie and say it's actually a SUP with a sail on it, then maybe, who knows.)

I'd love a go on one for old times sake.

Ban harnesses, and see how todays snowflakes get on. :lol:

PK1111
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by PK1111 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:12 am

I’m kind of interested, but storage of a board that big is a challenge!
I’m also cautious having purchased a couple of sups with deck fittings, but not actually spending much time on them. There always seems to be something else to do when it’s less windy? When it is windy, I can blag a pass from mrs pk.......

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BTB » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:47 pm

As im in my early 40's the original was before my time. It was all just old gear in the back of peoples garages. A mates dad had a DuFour. We took it to the beech once in the 90's and it was so heavy it nearly broke my car.

I dont see it going again. They are just too hard to live with and the retro / nostalgia appeal is to limited. Good luck to however tries but if you offered me a choice between one of them and a massive formula board for messing about on in low winds I'd take the formula.

Joe4114

Post by Joe4114 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:18 pm

I spent a while trying to work out what to get to fulfill those light wind days before it was breezy enough for me to get out on a slalom board with a 7m. I eventually plumped for an AHD Tactik which at 320cm long is a slightly smaller big board than the Windsurfer LT and so easier to store. The original website blurb that sold it to me was 'Our design brief for the ’AHD Tactik' was clear and simple; to allow you to have real sailing pleasure in 0-15 kts (20 kts max) winds with the ability to enjoy the light wind fun and performance of a Race board, without their known disadvantages, and give the rider a Freeride board feel and performance, in planing winds!'. I now spend more time out on it than all my other boards added together. It gives me confidence in an offshore breeze that I can get back in easily, and it is easy to uphaul (obviously) so I don't have to fret if the wind drops off. I wouldn't be without it or something similar now as there are very few days I can't go sailing.

billyboy
Been liked: 13 times

Post by billyboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

Can't see me ever owning one. Maybe if I lived at the waters edge and there was a local scene, but that's not the world I live in. Driving for 3 hrs to potter around in light winds just isn't worth it - there is plenty of equally fun stuff to do without the hassle...