Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Foiling related talk in here
grantmac
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Post by grantmac »

They just changed their mast layup. Now offering an 85cm which in my opinion is about right for winging.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

The mast from my pal arrived 3weeks ago and they told him he got the new one.
Again I was impressed by the looks but not by the stiffness.
An Moses for example is at least twice if not triple as stiff and the Starboard Alloy is really light and stiffer as well. The difference between Gong carbon and Starboard Aloy was just by weighting with my hand rather small while the starboard was a lot stiffer and pricewise they are very close.

Naish aloy is stiffer too. The first version Naish foil I got, the Surf-L had imo a rather flimsy construction, but they really geared up and now it is just very good quality. It is not as light as Gong Carbon or Starboard but stiffer as the Gong by a BIG margin.
Being 95kg stiffness is more important as for a lighter person and rate the importance of that over gaining a lets say 200/300gr ..
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

A friend of mine has the moses carbon and was horrified by the flex in the mast. My pryde alloy was a world appart in stiffness. I can't imagine the gong can be worse by that much, it would be unusable?
The board wasl ying upside-down , by holding the wing tip at the end with finger and thumb you could move it back and forth with very little effort and see the whole mast twisting.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Did he use the new Surf mast they introduced last year or the Kite mast James?
As my board flips over due the buoyancy of my GF I have no problem with a slightly heavier but stiffer alloy mast :)
And indeed the new Prydes are very interesting as well.
James.blonde

Post by James.blonde »

Could well have been the kite mast as that is their chosen sin.
Have you seen the new Prydes, probably super hard to get hold of as usual
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Moses: that kitemast is great for a very small foil that they use kiting, but the wavemasts are thicker and way stronger.

NP 2021:
Only on my screen :( , they arrive in the spring. I liked the build quality of the 2020 NP Surf large that is very much a copy of my Gofoil IWA so that newer mid/higaspect fpil could be serious option if they hurry up :)
I guess the biggest challenge right now to wait and see whats coming this spring instead of buying right now the Naish, Starboard or Moses. :lol:
James.blonde

Post by James.blonde »

I have thePryde large surf for my foiling exploits. I need 18mph min to even think about flight so super keen to get a larger wing for it. May put my name on the list. Bubble Chambers was the uk Pryde rep but now moved to Goya ect. This may prove to be a longwait ;)
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

What size wing do you have James?
With the 6m echo and pumping I can get away in silly low wind.
All I want from the new foil I,m looking for over the current Gofoil M200+ IWA is better glide.
The M200 has in getting going a slight advantage over the IWA/same as you NP Surf-Large, but the biggest gain is that it has more glide on slow swell.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

update here,
I think I finally cracked the jibe properly and flying most of them through. the ones I don,t end most of the time in a short touchdown before bouncing up and flying through. flying toe side isnt something I like, but I can do it for a couple of hunderd meters as well giving the oprtunity to ride a wave in, sail a bit of backside out and then jibe back to normall on a bit of swell coming in making me an absolute wavehog :mrgreen:
Luckily for me there is plenty of space so nobody to piss of with it.
I still like windsurfing, but i need proper waves or serious wind otherwise I rather go winging.

Latest favorite trick: walking the dog: flying on on the foil on a wave or swell with the wing completely neutral besides me. When the wind is sideshore I can let the foil go and the wing is just following me on the leash. When i need it back its just a pull on the leash and grab an handle, but flying over the water with my hands free is a pretty awesome feel. :mrgreen:

Because i,m outgrowing my foil gear (I want to go faster and ad more glide) I,m looking for a new foil. I aimed for Naish but they seemed to be very hard to get my hands on so now waiting for a quiver of Sab/Moses 1100-950-945 with an 82mast. The waiting is for the stronger fuselage with M8 screws instead of the M6. I really like the look of Moses and that they build everything themself in europe instead of China having more control over the quality.
When spending i,m also looking for a smaller board to replace my Fanatic5.8x110l.
I tried an 95l board and that is big enough for me, even in slogging out conditions and feels smaller, more agile when flying so gonna test the Quatro wingdrifer 5.4x90l and the Naish Ultra Hoover 95l
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

Finally cracked wave riding on small windswell today on the Hypernut and 5m Echo. Stoked that it feels so flowing.
Just about getting the gybes round on the Foil about 50%.
Please let me know how the Quatro Wing Drifter demo goes? Looks like a good option and now I want a smaller Wing board.
Bugger all chance of me even seeing a board up here let alone testing one.