Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Duotone Echo or Ensis V2 and what board???

Post by ronnie »

Jeroensurf wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:12 pm Update :)
I tried today with my buddy who has a shop the Skywing 5.8x28x110l, the Starboard Wingboard 6.7x28x115l and the Skywing 6.0x30x130l on a gusty lake. Mind you that i,m 95kg, that I have only a couple of Wing-sessions and are really learning it so this is rather a beginners view as an intermediate.
The Fanatic Skywing 5.8x28110l with the Go foil Maliko200 feels very tippy to climb on when you wanna go from kneeling to standing, but once you do its just fine. With it sizes you can,t call it stable when floating, but it was okay and once flying it is a really fun board with lots of control.
The only down-trade: lots of swearing when getting standing in the chop.
The big surprise: if you aren,t quick enough standing on up, you are foiling on your knees and that is actually pretty funny :lol:

Because the Skywing 5.8 feels tippy I tried the Starboard 6.7x28x115l.
Sitting on it and tanding up it felt immediately a lot more stable. the extra foot length makes where you sit less critical and standing up easier.
Once standing the deck felt less comfy as the Flywing and I was looking where to stand all the time as small adjustments didn't had any effect.
The draining channel makes sense on paper but in reality it seems to be a problem for a problem that doesnt exsists, the Fanatic doesnt has them but didnt hold water either.
The Starboard fe;lt a lot longer (duh!) when flying, but somehow I almost stepped of the back of the pad, also due the lack of a kickpad.
Overall I was not impressed/almost a bit disapointed as it looked a really nice board!
The guy who owns a shop and and is an good winger noticed the same. Both found the Starboard more stable when not planing, but as soon as you are flying the Fanatic was a lot better and more comfy.

Skywing 6.0x30x130l...simply too chunky. It isnt the weight because the difference between them in rather small but the extra width and volume does ad float but no stability for my weight. I was literally floating ABOVE the water making it less stable.

In the end I bought the skywing 5.8 and think/hope I grow in to it and didnt wanna buy a board that I outgrow within a couple of weeks Rather a bit harder work at the start as needing it to replace at spring, and the hard work is only at getting balancing to get standing in a nasty short period chop from any direction!. I sup boards with this volume so I think it is just a matter of putting some hours in it and getting used to it.

Wings: On advice from my pall the Echo 6.0+4.0m without trying the others. He tried a lot and knows me very well from surfing, sup and windsurfing and how I ride and in his opinion this wing suits me best. He could order an Ensis to demo, but overall most of the times he is right and I really liked the Echo so why bother :)
Overall very happy with my new quiver.
:mrgreen:
Some crappy phone pics
Hi,
I'm a bit surprised that you found the larger Skywing was less stable or the same. I guess one possibility was that the wave size was such that the bigger board width was a better match for half the distance between waves? So it maybe got tilted more?
At 69kg I tend to find SUP paddling (for exercise) my JP 105 Foil 204x70 is slightly more stable versus my JP SUP Foil 115 214x71 (with fins) but I put that down to the big chamfers on the SUP.

I'm currently favouring getting the 115L 2021 JP Freefoil 204x70 versus the 125L Star-Board X Wing Foil 190x67cm. I don't think I need the extra volume and I prefer the extra options to balance the pitch of the JP for sail and wing. The X Wing does seem more geared towards Wing than sail.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Duotone Echo or Ensis V2 and what board???

Post by Jeroensurf »

The 6.0 was almost too corky and high on the water and the wind came easier under it when rocking to get with my knees on it.
The 5.8 was a lot of swearing too :mrgreen: , but because it lays a bit deeper it stablises.
I have the same with too thick sups, when they are wide its fine, but when they are thinner and there runs some water over it, it helps stabilising.
Jeroensurf

Bought a quiver and start learning it: updates on the progression.

Post by Jeroensurf »

When I come to the UK, even with a negative Covid19 test, I need to go for 14days in quarantaine. Great when you have only 2weeks holiday so had to cancel again my Cornwall trip :cry: :cry:
France is still open and French Brittany yellow so booked very last minute a bungalow in Crozon.
Arrived yeasterday and today after an okay-ish sup sess in the morning wend winging in the afternoon at the harbour of Morgat.
Flat water, gusty wind but with the Skywing 110, my Maliko 200 foil and 6m echo I was flying earlier as the french windssurf-foilers with bigger sails, while these guys are like 25% lighter.
It was only the 2th try on the set and in the flatter water 5.8x28x110l with 95kg+ suit is still small, but it floats me and with the wing helping me to get up its getting easier and easier. Get going was really really easy and I kinda get a feeling of how to pump the foil properly and use the Wing to pump as well.
Especially pumping the foil wasn't something I was used to with windsurffoil, but with winging it keeps me going where the windsurf-foilers felt out of the air :mrgreen: It is a bit weird riding strapless but it feels for me as an advantage you can move a bit forward and backward to trim the amount of lift you get.
I haven,t stand a tack and only managed to jibe a couple of times with the board in the water (and then it is still small!).
I probably stick to flatter water till I feel more comfortable, but if I see how easy my friend tacks, jibes and progresses in the waves within a year it is just a matter of putting time and effort in it.
Rod has a thread questioning if this is the future of foiling...for me it definitely looks like it!
rod
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 214 times

Re: Bought an Fanatic+echo, a new journey :)

Post by rod »

Good job Jeroen

My Quatro 5'8" has arrived but my Slingshot foil doesn't fit the tracks, need some more nuts (unimpressed). Also need to remove my self tapped helicoils so i can set the foil waaay forward, but hope to try it out this week.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Thanx :)
I,m very interested in how you kike the Quatro and considering buying one in a Larger size for Supfoiling/ easy wingboard when the Fanatic stays as wobbly as it feels right now.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Yesterday there was at Goulien too much wind to sup and not enough wind for wavesailing+ rather boring 1.5m slow waves, so with the confidence boost of the sess in the harbour I rigged?? pumped up my 4m and went out.
First of all the bottom is there very slow getting deeper so I had to wade a lot to get into water that was deep enough for the foil to start and holy sh#t, waves that are too boring to Sup look scary as hell as hell when you are attached to a board with foil and a wing on the other side :shock:
Due pure luck I mannaged to get out and the wind was gusty, but in ther gusts I could pump the board with the Maliko 200 and get going in still very light wind. When there was a windhole it was pretty easy to overcome by pumping the board and the wing to keep going.
Jibes ended in a big splash, getting up on the board in a decent swell and waist high chop took me 15min and a lot of swearing feeling like Bambi for the first time on the Ice.

Once back up and flying I could feel the power of those long runners and once the builded up a tiny bit more I was riding them. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Don,t think big zippy zig zag, rather a very wide wiggle on the wave, but wow what a feel.
In all my enthusiasm I surfed it too far back in till I ened up in the middle of the break, fell in and was swimming for another 15minutes :roll: :lol:
Did this 2h and after that I thought I was too exhausted to get back on my feet so was calling it a day till the only other winger out there (smaller, lighter and a LOT better as I am) asked if he could try my board. Sure. so we changed. He got an supfoil JP 7.2x29x126 and that was a difference of night and day.
The board is harder to pump because it is bigger and a tad heavier but waaaaaay easier to balance, so squeezed another hour out of it.
Back home I contacted my pal at the shop because they have an as good as new 2th hand and when I come back that is mine 8-)
I,m 100% sure I can learn everything on the Fanatic, but the slightly bigger, more stable JP will make life a lot easier and cold due the winter.
So far i,m soo hooked that I hope for more of this lame windsurf super Wingfoil days.
rod

Post by rod »

Jeroen you've become a long boarder. What went wrong :D :D :D :D
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

The weather is getting colder and I want to swim less frequent.
95kg butt naked means like 100kg when fully suited up and on a 110l board that doesnt offer a lot of room to wiggle around. :oops:
Besides that, with the Go foil package I bought came an Maliko 200+ Maliko280. With those 2 wings I should be able to sup foil on the just not breaking enough but steep "waves"/swell on the outer banks we got.
Before I rode them once in a while with a 14ft Ocean racer-Sup and think this should be fun as well.

After a small wave supsession this morning at La Palue I did a wing-foil sess at plage goulien.
2 days ago it was all wave and chop, now it was side-off and mirrorlike flat with a small swell running through from time to time.
A windsurfer came out because he couldnt plane with his 8.6 but I gave it a go to practice balance and some jibing with my 6m and Go foil Maliko not expecting I could fly 80% of the time :mrgreen:
It is soo funny that with the lightest puff and pumping the foil you can get going before you get white caps on the water :mrgreen:
Had a blast and in the flat I get my jibes up to 50% standing and one flying through by mistake.
Next 2 days they expect no wind, but can,t wait for more shitty wind days to practice more and wonder if i grab my wavesail-gear when its on, or go for the 4m wing. :shock:
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

a couple of days and a few sessions later :)
I sailed the 4m twice in windsurf 5.3 weather.
Learning it in a bit more wind makes the start a LOT easier as you can let the wing pull you up from your knees on your feet, makig starts in cheashigh swell/chop/chaos a LOT easier.
In conditions like this I found the M200 creates when that powered up too much lift, so tried the Iwa foil (that is my smallest foil) and that ads more control over the amount of lift, but I could still use less lift altough I was serious powered up with the wing.
Cool: i,m getting some feeling on how to connect swell/rollers and pump from one to another with the wing in neutral. :mrgreen:

Today it was wavesailing in 2.5/3m sideshore weather.
First of all I was shocked by how much power I needed to get going and felt like there was a bucket dragging behind my board after a couple of days playing with the foil and wing.
The water gets here very gradually deeper so it takes ages to get to water deep enough for the wing and I have no clue how to pass the waves/or what to do when I crash on the way out with a wing, but when sailing in on a big swell that you can only stay on till it gets steep enough I was serious wondering what you already can do with that on a foil/wing combo

tomorrow it will less windy and if the waves are a bit lower I will try to get out :)
For now i,m hooked!
rod

Post by rod »

Awesome Jeroen. First day on my Quatro Wing Drifter 5'8". Everything from 20+ knots to 3 knots.

All good. The board floats me in no wind. And is great when overpowered (well really that is the foil).

But the key thing is despite being 5'8" it has an incredible wind range. And loads of float.