Starboard Freeride 125 + Slingshot FWind v3

Foiling related talk in here
Westy
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 6 times

Starboard Freeride 125 + Slingshot FWind v3

Post by Westy »

Interested to hear from anyone who has the same windfoil setup as me, Starboard Freeride 125 (Starlight) plus Slingshot FWind v3 (with the Infinity 76 front wing).

I have the front straps in the inboard forward-most position and the rears in the 2nd outboard and forward-most position. I find that this is a comfortable setup when nicely powered (say on a 5.3) but when the wind picks up i get so much lift from the foil that i find i struggle to get enough weight forward to counteract that lift. I have the mast foot way forward in the slot so that the UJ 'washer' is touching the vent screw.

Of course i can take my back foot out of the strap and forward to reduce the lift and that works although the front of the foot strap tends to interfere with the optimum position for my foot. Also, I prefer to ride with the rear foot in the strap so i don't want to remove them altogether. Given that there is little more i can do to bring my weight forward on the board has anyone tried the foil in position 'A' which would bring the wing back? I accept that if i did this i'd have to ship my foot straps rearward.
rod
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Starboard Freeride 125 + Slingshot FWind v3

Post by rod »

That's worth a try, I have US tracks so can move the foil fore and aft so never have used A position on SS foils.

Could it be that you need to change down sail and the foil is just generally overpowered?
Smidge
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Smidge »

I havent tried posn A either - give it a go. But also dont be afraid to take back foot out, or remove back strap altogether. The racers set their back strap up to be over long and flat so they can just hook their toes in it and pivot their heel much further forward or back to adjust to varying amounts of lift. The French guy who totally dominated the Formula Foil championship doesnt use a back strap (or didnt in the races i watched).

I have been sailing without back strap for a while now, even went totally strapless for quite a few sessions (on the hypernut), but now concluded that front strap is better than no strap when powered up. Its interesting to sail strapless and once you get settled look down and see where your foot finds itself - then compare that to the footstrap positions.
Westy

Post by Westy »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I went out at Meon (Solent) in a decent breeze on Sat afternoon (16-20kt) and tried without rear straps with a 4.7. Took some time to adjust but it was immediately apparent that I had so much more control with the ability to bring the rear foot slightly forward in the gusts. The session started well powered and ended up properly overpowered but I was still able to maintain a pretty stable ride height. In fact i didn't foil out once!

I did as Smidge suggested and checked my foot position during the bigger gusts and it was in line with the frontmost footstrap insert. Any further back and i'd have overfoiled for sure.

Now need to try in marginal wind to see if I can still pump the foil up as effectively without an anchored foot.
Smidge

Post by Smidge »

Great. I noticed on the launch video clip for the new Slingshot boards, Wyatt talks about the advantage of twin tracks being that you can tweak the foil backwards and forwards for different wings and different wind strengths, and thats a lot easier than moving footstraps each time - implying that something needs to move if you are going to cope comfortably with wide wind ranges.
Westy

Post by Westy »

I saw the Slingshot video too. Of particular interest was when Wyatt mentioned that a 1cm adjustment in foil position equates to 10cm adjustment of the mast foot - "Tuttle is dead"!

I dream of being good enough to ride that 90l :D
Smidge

Post by Smidge »

I never use the tuttle fitting on my hypernut which has both. Twin tracks take only a few moments more to set up once you are used to it. Im planning to start carrying an allen key so I can tweak it more easily on the beach as wind varies (anyone found marine grade SS allen keys?). I noticed at the weekend that the setting I thought was all round perfect for my i99, is in fact too far back for ultra marginal conditions.
Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

I have a set of these for my Slingshot Foil. Well recommended

They also do the screwdrivers for windsurf kit and a Tx driver for my AFS foil
MartinJ
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by MartinJ »

I've got a Starboard Freeride 125 and Slingshot FWind v3 76 and I've come to the same conclusion as Westy. You need to have the mast foot well to the front of the slot. I've wasted a lot of time struggling and failing to to get my weight forward because I've had the mast foot too far back.

I don't think position A would work because that would move the foil back by 15 cms - surely too much. The adjustability of twin tracks seems to me to be huge advantage over the Tuttle box.

This morning I had the mast foot up to the vent screw and could get good balance - until I got hit by the gusts and over-foiled, but that's probably my poor technique. I also end up with my foot on the foremost back strap insert.

I like the Wera stainless steel Allen keys. It's easy to spot the bright orange and makes it harder to leave on the beach.
rod
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by rod »

Yep tuttle for foils is just daft!